Why are some people so negative? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2004, 10:27 AM   #16
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 03:49 PM
A_Wanderer:
Good news also CAN sell verry well (for example Weddings of celebs).
But of course there is a lack of attention to the good things when there is a big shadow of horrible news.

I think optimism is good, but it's extremely important to stay realistic if we are fed with too optimistic news we might run in difficulties later (Soldiers will be welcomed with flowers etc.)

So try to be relistic with enough optimism to change the world you live in

Klaus

Old 06-01-2004, 10:36 AM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

If nobody is pessimistic, how do we know what is optimism then?

Old 06-01-2004, 10:53 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:49 PM
No problem beli! I'm just a little worried about possibly saying the wrong thing about something this sensitive and insulting someone who had nothing to do with the abuse. Notice I keep saying "whoever knew this stuff". I don't want to point fingers and claim that Bureaucrat X ordered the torture stuff when it's entirely possible that they did not. That would be terrible. You're right about a few people being guilty of this stuff, and a heck of alot of people being innocent. There are also the brave souls who blew the whistle on the whole sordid affair. That took incredible guts, and alot of character. Some soldier named Sutton, I forget his rank, was one of the whistle-blowers. I think they should give him some award. He wasn't thinking about himself. He was thinking about the rules. If they were all like that, this wouldn't have happened. You can't expect them all to be like that, but he's a terrific example and he really should be recognized. I'm trying to be fair to our fine men and women in uniform and realize that it's just a few bad apples. The problem with the bad apples is that they are such a damn disgrace to my country and decent people of all political persuasions and views are very angry.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:01 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn
If nobody is pessimistic, how do we know what is optimism then?

Good question. There's also the issue of the realities of the situation, as Klaus said. It wasn't fair to anyone to expect the Americans in Iraq to be greeted with flowers and candy. This is not the fault of the soldiers, it's the fault of the planners. You have to be honest about screw-ups, but fair, too, and realize just who made the mistakes and who was just doing their job.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:29 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:49 AM
Pessimism is disillusioned idealism. For those who lack idealism completely, it is apathy.

Melon
Old 06-01-2004, 12:29 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Some people like to argue for the sake of arguing. No, I'm serious. It's like that annoying little brother you have - he'll argue with you simply because he can and he'll nitpick and he'll quibble for no good reason other than the fact he is able to.
You make us sophists sound so despicable.

With regards to the thread, I think at times there is a tendency for people to sensationalize, but the pendulum of perspective doesn't find balance at the "rational" middle without having spent time on the extremes.

As well, I find it disturbing that the word negative always has negative connotations.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:45 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie
I'm always very negative about my own life so I'm never disappointed when things go wrong because I never had my hopes up to begin with.
I totally agree with this philosophy, though I get knocked for it all the time. It annoys me when people go around pushing a 'positive attitude.' It doesn't change a thing. If you always expect the best you will almost always be let down, but if you expect the worse, or nothing, you will most often always be surrpised in a good way I'd rather have it that way.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:33 PM   #23
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Pessimism is disillusioned idealism. For those who lack idealism completely, it is apathy.

Melon
Melon

I think I am somewhere between naive and optimistic.

Sometimes I like to argue for the sake of arguing, I take the position I disagree with (but not in in FYM generally).

The one thing I like about FYM is that the one characteristic that cuts across people's beliefs here is optimism. If we weren't all optimistic to some degree, why would we bother posting at all?
Old 06-03-2004, 12:02 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by beli

Ha. That means absolutely nothing to me.
Other than it explains your user name. I always wondered why someone would use the word 'dread' to describe themselves. Tis a bit of negative word but fits right in with your narky bastard image.

So its a sporting team of some sort?
http://www.hbo.com/bambino/

This is how it all began.