Why are liberals so noisy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfwill23

War Child
I am attending a VERY liberal university on the east coast. Every day I am surrounded by students and professors pledging their hate for Bush, corporate America (even though most of them want jobs there so they can afford to live in Manhattan), and just about every other non-liberal entity.

It's not their views that really bothers me, but it's how they express their views. IMO, most liberals are very intrusive and annoying. Why do they feel the need to bash the president at any cost? Why do they feel the need to shove their beliefs down my throat? Why do they feel the need to partake in various kinds of civil disobediance?

What's even more interesting is that many of the liberals I have met want to save the world, but their personal lives are a mess. They usually have little structured religion or belief in God, lots of affairs and cheating, and usually some kind of addiction to either drinking or drugs. How about fixing your own life before you fix mine?

Some of you may take this as another 'attack from the right,' but it's not. It's more of a question. If you're offended by this, well, maybe the truth hurts.

Since when are Generalizations not allowed in FYM? Or is it just allowed when they are directed at republicans or the religious right?

Wolfwill, you are going to have to see to it that this thread generates some meaningful debate or it will be closed. All you have done so far is to make some blanket statements about "liberals," none of which are particularly interesting or new, and most of which could equally well apply to conservatives. Replace "Bush" with "Clinton" and "liberals" with "conservatives" and your post would still make sense; e.g.

What's even more interesting is that many of the conservatives I have met want to save the world, but their personal lives are a mess. They usually have too much structured religion or belief in God, lots of affairs and cheating, and usually some kind of addiction to either drinking or drugs (see William Bennett, Newt Gingrich, Rush Limbaugh, and more). How about fixing your own life before you fix mine?

So, against my better judgment, I'll leave this thread open for now. But it needs to go somewhere fast.

Last edited:
Yes there are generalizations thrown around in here. But Dread come on, have you seen anyone start a thread like this attacking conservatives with absolutely no facts, examples, etc. just a bitch session as to why someone thinks all conservatives are loud, obnoxious, racist, smelly, ugly, or dumb?

Maybe this will help. Instead of generalizations, let's take a specific example. I've always been perplexed by publications like the L.A. Weekly. It has a very liberal slant editorial wise (corporation don't care for the people, Republicans are the worst thing for us, conservatives and evangelical Christians hate everbody, etc). But the overall focus of the advertisements is on extreme self-gratitude. Nothing about putting the editorial position into practice (taking care of others).

I'm not saying that conservative publications are perfect. Just in this one instance, there seems to be a noisy editorial board that fills it publication with things that don't apply their position.

Just one thing that perplexes me.

It's OK to say "some liberals are too self-indulgent" because that's true. *Some* I know don't have much of a sense of responsibility and blame others for their problems. Before I get nuked, I know that's not true of all liberals. I hope it's not true of me. It's better to take specific examples of people who do things of which we don't approve, like nbcrusader did in that criticism of the liberal publication which indeed sounds like it might have questionable logic in some of its articles. No one is perfect. There is some real :censored: in alot of publications out there. It's an election year, people are emotional, politics is a collision sport, and not everyone survives the competition.

wolfwill23 said:
What's even more interesting is that many of the liberals I have met want to save the world, but their personal lives are a mess. They usually have little structured religion or belief in God.

That's so offensive.

But if you can find me a scientific study that links a personal participation in a "structured religion" with a decrease in "mess" in personal lives of people, hey, by all means...

paxetaurora said:
We do discourage that kind of thing around here, Dread. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the eye roll...reinforces my intial comment.

Bonovox....I never ever have endorsed generalizations. I have made them in the heat of an argument, and apologized when I realized what I have done. I do not endorse the start of this thread either.

NB Crusader....you hit the nail on the head. All too often this is lacking in this forum. I like the way you presented your case. Are you a lawyer? People should be looking at specific examples instead of generalizations about groupas of people.

for example: I see in one thread the other day a wonderful DIATRIBE on how the Religious Right in the Republican Party hide behind the Sanctity of Marriage argument as if it were code to say they hate gays. It disturbs me that this is allowed to go UNCHECKED in this forum. I do not consider myself among the "religious right" however I have many, many friends who are and they are not hateful towards any group. Would I EVER invite them to view FYM...NO. Sad but true.

This thread has sparked some debate, good.

Let me clarify. I live in New York City and attend New York University. The school is about 99.9% liberal. The city is about 99.9% liberal. This has been my experience with liberals here.

So, let me rephrase my post. 'Why are New York liberals so noisy?'

Also, someone said that you can just change the word 'liberal' in this thread to 'conservative' and I don't agree with that. When Clinton was in office, the conservatives weren't out every freckin' weekend protesting, wearing 'I hate Clinton' buttons and shoving their agenda down my throat. However, with Bush in office, the NEW YORK LIBERALS are doing all of those things and then some more!

I'm also commenting on the remarks of the brilliant and HIGHLY educated liberal spokespeople like Michael Moore, Jeanne Garofallo (sp), Tim Robbins, Sean Penn, etc.

ps-If the moderator closes this thread, it only supports my point of view.

That "someone" who said you can change the words was me. I'm a mod and I've modded this forum for almost two years. And mods here by and large do not appreciate being tested by statements like "if the moderator closes this thread, it only supports my point of view." Your member tag says you joined Interference in 2000, so you should know how these things work.

wolfwill23 said:
When Clinton was in office, the conservatives weren't out every freckin' weekend protesting, wearing 'I hate Clinton' buttons and shoving their agenda down my throat.

OMG, are you for real?

How about the Impeachment soap opera? The bumper stickers, the posters, the witchhunt, the jokes, my God. The Hilary obsession, it was all going strong. I think they wanted to Impeach him even before MonicaGate.

It disturbs me that this is allowed to go UNCHECKED in this forum.

There's a lot that goes unchecked in this forum, especially as of late. Now this is not a slam on the mods, I think you're doing a good job. But just in the last week I've seen flat out racism, blanket ignorant and offensive comments, and name calling. And guess where I saw it come from? Both sides. Now I know one "side" is a little more represented than the other in here but the comments are coming from both. I really don't think it's quite fair or representative to say that the offensive comments are all aimed at one side in here. For the most part the majority of posters in FYM are considerate.

Re: Re: Why are liberals so noisy?

anitram said:
That's so offensive.

But if you can find me a scientific study that links a personal participation in a "structured religion" with a decrease in "mess" in personal lives of people, hey, by all means...

Yeah, really, I didn't get that, either. What does their religious beliefs have to do with how stable their lives are?

Also, well said with the whole Clinton impeachment thing.

Anywho, generalizations on both sides shouldn't be made. I think I've avoided that pretty well here...at least, I hope I have.

Angela

BonoVoxSupastar said:

But just in the last week I've seen flat out racism, blanket ignorant and offensive comments, and name calling.

This week has been one of my most disappointing weeks as a member here. Period.

And I agree....most people here are considerate....

Re: Re: Re: Why are liberals so noisy?

Moonlit_Angel said:

Anywho, generalizations on both sides shouldn't be made. I think I've avoided that pretty well here...at least, I hope I have.

Angela

You are doing well Angela.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom