Why are democrats so angry? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2003, 10:27 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:26 AM
Why are democrats so angry?

Sorry to group all into one with the thread title. But it seems to me that Democrat politicians can be very angry folks. Take Ted Kennedy for example, he always seems upset to me. Its somewhat proven also that angry politicians dont win elections. From either side.

Think about who ran the angrier campaigns

Gore was angrier than Bush
Dole and Bush Sr. was angrier than Clinton

I base this mostly on what I recall from those elections, other opinions?

Old 12-05-2003, 10:32 AM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:26 AM
i think they're angry at the bengals making the playoffs

Old 12-05-2003, 10:42 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:26 AM
I don't know that it's all anger. It's emotion, that's for sure. Anger is an emotion. Some of us liberals are just plain restless. We're not really happy with the status quo, we just think people can do better. That's what motivates us.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:44 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:26 AM
It all depends on what persona sells them best.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:47 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:26 AM

I agree w Mr Presley.
Very good observation

DB9
Old 12-05-2003, 10:49 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

I can just see Dean's handlers telling him to yell and point with both fingers....
Old 12-05-2003, 10:49 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:26 AM
Yeah, that's what they say about Dean. It's a motivator, definitely. It's why people go out and give out leaflets. You've got to have some sort of motivator to do this. You're not going to go out and do it if you're wondering why you're doing it.
*edited because I can't type without massive screw-ups*
Old 12-05-2003, 10:51 AM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

the clinton impeachment... the election... add those two highly debated, bitter partisan events and you've got a party who's salivating to attack the new republican president at the first available opportunity. then factor in that there really wasn't anything to get on him for after 9/11... his approval ratings were sky high... so they wanted to get him on something, but they couldn't... then came the war and the economy... finally the dems had something to attack bush on... but the war, while it hasn't been perfect, hasn't been the horrific and devestating event that people warned of... and the economy is on an upturn. so they're reeeeeally pissed now.

just my .02 cents... i could be wrong
Old 12-05-2003, 10:54 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:26 AM
Getting back to what wins elections..

In the end most polictians are after the "20% of undecideds" left in the middle.
A person who is angry scares them.
A person who is percieved lovable liked Clinton or GW..gets that majority

DB9
Old 12-05-2003, 11:19 AM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:26 AM
Interesting observation...

I think here in America policies between the Rep and Dem have dangerously come too close together. There are only few issues that honesly divide the two parties, politics in general have moved towards the moderate.

But what I see as the biggest dividing factor between the two parties is this "emotion" or "anger" whatever you want to call it.

I think it's fair to ask why are Dems so angry, but we can also ask why are Reps so complacent?

They're ready to jump into a war, but their complacent when it comes to the issues in their back yard. They don't seem to care that this is the worst president environmentally we've had in a long time making huge steps backwards, that the separation of church and state is deteriorating, and ignoring for the most part huge corporate scandal like Enron.

Why are they happy with the status quo? I think it's a question that can go both ways.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:31 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

But what I see as the biggest dividing factor between the two parties is this "emotion" or "anger" whatever you want to call it.

I think it's fair to ask why are Dems so angry, but we can also ask why are Reps so complacent?

I dont necessarily agree with this, however, one thing is true, the emotion and anger certainly dont go over well with the nations voters if past history can be used.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:37 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

A related article....

http://www.indystar.com/articles/4/098743-5314-021.html

Politics of hate won't beat Bush

December 4, 2003

Anyone up for a "Hate Bush" meeting in Hollywood? Doesn't it sound like just the sort of thing conservatives would invent to make liberals look stupid and open the conservative spigots?

But this was no right-wing conspiracy. Matt Drudge may be the one selling the idea that Hollywood held a "Hate Bush" meeting, but he didn't come up with the title. This is a self-inflicted wound by another silly Hollywood liberal giving honest politics a bad name.

The meeting in question was chaired by two longtime Democratic operatives, Harold Ickes and Ellen Malcolm, who have recognized that whoever wins the Democratic nomination will be at a severe financial disadvantage as compared to the president.

The Republicans have an institutional advantage when it comes to raising money, because they are the party of business, and because they have a larger small-donor base; they also have an advantage because they control the White House and both houses of Congress.

So what are Democrats to do?

Under the new campaign finance laws, neither party is allowed to raise "soft" money. But independent groups can. So longtime Democrats have created two independent groups. One, headed by Ickes, focuses on providing media cover for the nominee beginning this spring, when the president is expected to start spending heavily; one headed by Malcolm and former AFL-CIO political director Steve Rosenthal will focus on field organizing in target states for the general election.

Invitations were sent to the usual Hollywood suspects, a collection of people with an interest in politics and money to give, to attend a meeting Tuesday with Ickes, Malcolm and Rosenthal. It was titled a "Meeting to Change the Leadership in America in 2004." Hardly worthy of Drudge.

Then Laurie David sent an e-mail forwarding invites to the "Hate Bush 12-2 Event," and the right went nuts.

Who is Laurie David? In news clips, she is identified as Larry David's wife. Who is Larry David? He's the star of "Curb Your Enthusiasm."

Maybe his wife should curb hers. It is only helping Republicans.

The way to defeat Bush is not to advertise how much you hate him. Hard-core ideologues who hate Bush are not going to decide this election. They'll vote for the Democrat, as they do every four years, but there aren't enough of them to elect a Democrat. You need swing voters to do that. Hatred may motivate the left to contribute money, but it is hardly an effective talking point for public consumption if you want to win elections.

Ari Emanuel, a talent agent who represents Larry David and whose brother served in the Clinton White House and now in Congress, knew just how bad the Drudge story was for Democrats. "People are assembling over a political issue -- the 2004 election," he told the press in response to the ruckus about hating Bush. "The invite didn't say 'Hate Bush,' and I don't think (the Drudge story) was productive."

Productive? I bet it produced a lot of money for George Bush. And worse, it helps produce votes for him.

The people whose votes Democrats will need to defeat George Bush don't hate him. On a personal level, they like him. They need to be convinced not to vote for him, for reasons that have to do with the war, or special interests or the economy. "Hate Bush" headlines do just the opposite.

Enemies are one thing, but with friends like Laurie David, the Democratic nominee is going to need all the help he can get.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:31 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

^this piece was written by Susan Estrich
Old 12-05-2003, 01:34 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

^this piece was written by nbcrusader
Old 12-05-2003, 08:20 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Life is cyclical. We're probably in a resumption of the 1950s, where optimism, even if unwarranted, is popular right now. In the 1960 election, Nixon campaigned how "good" things were, while JFK disagreed. JFK won, and, until the reign of Dubya, cynicism won votes.

What worries me about unwarranted optimism is that, while Nixon was campaigning on Eisenhower's "happy" administration, it was covering up a lot of despicable acts in the name of "national security." Is a lot of this happening in the Bush Administration? Who knows...I'll let you debate that.

Melon