Why are all celebrities left wingers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BluberryPoptart

War Child
I have a theory.

Once upon a time, there was a little girl. She beileved in fairy tales, castles, magic, and dragons. It was fun! But then she grew up, had to get a job, pay bills, and live with real problems. So she knew that wasn't reality anymore.

But for some people, that never happens. They get rich and famous singing songs and making movies, making millions more than anyone else who works hard every day in the real world. So they still believe in castles, magic and a perfect world. But things are not that way in reality. Still, they think it is, because they don't understand, and keep pushing for flowers, peace, jollyness, and free stuff for everybody!

Last edited:
John Malkovich isnt, he said he wanted to kill far left journo Robert Fisk.

Republicans include, Trey Parker, Matt Stone (Team America comes out, that looks really funny), The Rock, Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Sylvester Stallone, Not too bad in my book.

Charlton Heston is also part of that "old guard", Ronald Reagan wasnt left wing.

Frankly there are idiots everywhere, there does seem to be a penchant for Hollywood to produce lefty lunatics (Paging Hanoi Jane Fonda) but there are still those who worked their way up through the industry, when you say left you mean far left and not just political party, because Democrats most certainly have some strong players who are not left wing.

Last edited:
BluberryPoptart said:
So they still believe in castles, magic and a perfect world. But things are not that way in reality. Still, they think it is, because they don't understand, and keep pushing for flowers, peace, jollyness, and free stuff for everybody!

does anyone know Bono's stance on proportional representation election systems? it is an issue here in Canada, and i'm not quite sure what to make of it.

Why are all the big industry directors right wingers :confused:

because they get richter and richter and ritcher,...............and they do not even care about the real world.

Generalize :up:

Hello,

I wanted to post this next excerpt somewhere and I think it belongs in this thread. It's from an interview Bruce Springsteen gave to a fanzine about the upcoming Vote For Change tour. While it does not directly address why many celebrities are not extreme right wing, it does raise an interesting point.
From Backstreets: http://www.backstreets.com/news.html

Backstreets: As political awakenings go, I?ve always had the impression that the time around The River was big for both you and Steve, as far as getting out of the States and seeing our country through other eyes.

Springsteen: I know for Steve it was a tremendous awakening, that tour. More so for him maybe than for me, because I had kind of started to write about it on Darkness on the Edge of Town and The River already, really before we went overseas. But I know for Steve it was tremendous. We went to East Berlin together, and it was quite an experience, East Berlin at that time. It was real noticeable, what that does to you. And also, when you spend a good amount of time over there, you do have a moment to step out of the United States and look back with a critical eye.

If there was one single thing I?d like to give every high school kid in the United States, it would be a two-month trip through Europe at some point during the formative years. Because it?s very difficult to conjure up a real worldview from within our borders. It?s hard. It?s hard because we?re so big, and the hegemony of American culture is so weighty and so heavy that it?s very difficult without stepping outside and realizing what it?s like to have the next country just a two-hour drive away, to have a certain kind of interdependence that is different than what we have here. It?s just a certain view of the way the world works that is different. So if I could give every young kid one thing, that would be it -- because it would broaden what we listen to, the way we perceive ourselves, the types of leaders we choose. It would change the nation dramatically.

I always remember going down to South America on the Amnesty tour and hearing incredible music, or going into Africa and seeing some amazing acts that opened up for us on that tour, and realizing that only a miniscule amount of people are going to hear this music back in the United States. Meanwhile, a six- or seven-piece rock band from Central Jersey is playing the Ivory Coast, and people who have barely heard our music before are going crazy. And we?re speaking English, you know? The openness I?ve found outside the United States contrasted a bit to some of the closedness that we have here. And it?s not intentional ? it?s cultural. And it comes from a lack of exposure to other things.

(italic emphasis is mine)

So I think that one of the reasons is because they have seen more of the world, they have a better view of what's going on. Not just from a USA-centric perspective, but also from an outside perspective. They see what happens when you have a job, lose a job, pay bills, need to support others and not just in the USA, but also in the rest of the world. And they see the influence of the USA on that in the rest of the world.

It's not that they keep believing in fairytales and such. If any, they have a good grasp of what does keep the world turning 'round. Some/most even have a big sense of those realities before they are famous, have lots of money, etc. Going around the world provides them with the impressions what the actual pros and cons are of the situation.

C ya!

Marty

Last edited:
Nice post, Marty. I was rolling my eyes at this otherwise ridiculous thread until your thoughtful post. What Bruce says was very true for me. I spent a lot of time in Europe and South America in my 20s (including East Berlin which he mentions) and my political and cultural views changed dramatically. Going from a small southern conservative farming community to Europe was quite eye-opening and I never saw the USA the same again.

seriously

there has been a lot of research done regarding what, and i use the term loosely here, demographic factors are influential in a persons political stance.

generally and statistically speaking,
-those with higher incomes tend to be more liberal in their perspective
-those who are more creative tend to be more liberal in their perspectives
-those who are better educated tend to be more liberal in their perspectives
-those who reside in urban areas tend to be more liberal in their perspectives.

i don't propose this as an complete response to your question if only because your question is incredibly flawed.

BluberryPoptart
Well you think people like Mr. George Walker Bush had to to get a job, pay bills, and live with real problems?
That might be the reason why he's so good in solving problems of the hard working middleclas men in the US

Last edited:
kobayashi said:
seriously

there has been a lot of research done regarding what, and i use the term loosely here, demographic factors are influential in a persons political stance.

Of course you are not including big business here I assume :lol: Other than celebrities, I would think it was the OPPOSITE- the poor always go democratic, because they think the dems care about them more, and the richer, even the well paid yuppie, tend to vote republican because they are more likely to protect their interests, such as capital gains and lower taxes.

Again, 'creative' can be another word for 'dreamer'- such as people who believe you can peacefully 'negotiate' with terrorists:tsk:

I have 2 beefs with this. One, it has nothing to do with the celebrity thing, because most celebrities aren't known for their extensive educational background. Many stars only finished high school, or were even dropouts who ran away to the city to become famous. So that is not a factor.

Now, the other one, I find it very offensive that you leave the impression that people who are not liberals are somehow less intelligent, and if they got their 'education' (or more like 're-education :rolleyes: ) they'd agree with you! Not only you, but that seems to be the whole overall view I get from all the liberals here on this board. People who are not liberals are of a lower intellect and don't think right, and if they did, they wouldn't be non-liberals. That is way, WAY offensive :down:

Yes, mostly the inner city poor who think the dems are better on social programs.

kobayashi said:

I am not sure if I completely agree with these two tenets. I would think that higher income would be a little more conservative.

Now, like you said, these individuals "tend" to be more liberal.

In the U.S. - I see the Republican Party, and Bush's Administration to be a VERY intelligent and well educated group (they have to be considering who their boss is, right? :wink: ). I have seen a number of liberal candidates here in the states with less of an education (but a lot of grass-roots support through Union leadership positions, etc.) than the conservative opponents. Or were you talking about the general population?

kobayashi said:

I've seen similar statement made with respect to other belief sets (political, social or religious). I think it is a rather arrogant way to suggest that one belief set is superior to another. I would doubt the validity of the statements as well.

Last edited:
BluberryPoptart said:
Again, 'creative' can be another word for 'dreamer'- such as people who believe you can peacefully 'negotiate' with terrorists:tsk:

Actually...you are WAY off base. In order to negotiate with terrorists, you need to be pretty darn creative. "Creative" IS NOT another tern for "dreamer." That is a limited view of the term. If it weren't for creative people, you surely wouldn't have a place like the Internet to drool over Bono - or have a car, or lighting or electricity.

BluberryPoptart said:
Yes, mostly the inner city poor who think the dems are better on social programs.

NOW THIS is truly a offensive statement. IT seems as if it just another one of your broad-stroke slurs. When I think of "Urban cores," I see a lot more wealth too. Look at Manhattan and Chicago! They are "Urban Cores" that have a ton of wealth, and a liberal slant (even with the amount of wealth).

fly on the wall said:

Actually...you are WAY off base. In order to negotiate with terrorists, you need to be pretty darn creative.

You CANNOT negotiate with terrorists, that's the point. What do people negotiate with?

Money? They don't want it. They only want to kill the infidel and wipe out our way of life.

Their lives? How can you, when most of them hope to die in the fight and go gloriously to Allah as a martyr? If someone doesn't want money and isn't in fear of their own life, how can you 'negotiate' anything with them?

Land? Territory? That's what most negotiations involve, and have throughout time. But with the war on terror, that is not even an issue. That's what I'm saying, this is a totally different situation than what people have always 'negotiated' for. They are not going to say, oh, okay, and take a flower and skip away. It doesn't work like that. If only it did.

NOW THIS is truly a offensive statement. IT seems as if it just another one of your broad-stroke slurs. When I think of "Urban cores," I see a lot more wealth too. Look at Manhattan and Chicago! They are "Urban Cores" that have a ton of wealth, and a liberal slant (even with the amount of wealth).

I'm not saying there aren't any upscale urban liberals. But you cannot deny that the inner city poor are almost a 100% lock for the democrats in any election. That's what I was referring to.
It's a proven statistical fact, there's nothing offensive about it.

Speaking of 'offensive" I will avoid answering the 'broad stroke slur' comment in order to save trouble on the forum :censored: :censored:

Last edited:
lemme see....I'm a poor white girl from the sticks of northern maine...and I'm very liberal. Why? Because I am a provider of human services and republicans tend to cut human services spending right off the top! Oh hell why did I even respond to this thread. I'm getting sick of the political crap in FYM not to mention the style in which the arguements are constructed

A serious thread like this demands serious discussion, and serious discussion is sparked by serious questions. So I solemnly ask, why are Republicans such doodyheads?

doodyheads? :uhoh:

I have a theory that "girlyboys" who dream of growing up to be Queens and living in castles...

Nevermind. :D

What so now there's a litmus test for politics before you are allowed to enjoy listening to certain songs?

ThatGuy said:
A serious thread like this demands serious discussion, and serious discussion is sparked by serious questions. So I solemnly ask, why are Republicans such doodyheads?

And Democrats are "girlie men".... :wink:

apologies-i did not preface my comment with the fact that they are canadian demog. research.

nbcrusader said:

I've seen similar statement made with respect to other belief sets (political, social or religious). I think it is a rather arrogant way to suggest that one belief set is superior to another. I would doubt the validity of the statements as well.

stats can lie. but canadian social and political research has repeatedly exhibited these trends. (rural communities with a strong religious identification and generally lower income tend to favor conservative causes. the urban communities where income is somewhat higher and education is much higher identify as liberal. those suburban communities where income has generally been highest and both education and religion vary is the battleground for votes)

statiscally speaking, these trends are valid. but i meant to say it the data was culled from canadians and thus the conclusions drawn may very well be restricted to that identifiable group.

Last edited:
I read an interesting story a few days ago in the NY Daily News about Russell Simmons and Kid Rock getting into an argument over Michael Moore in the Hamptons. I am guessing you can probably tell who is left and right, but it ended with Kid Rock putting a statement on Russell's car (paraphrase) on how W is gonna take the country and that Moore is a propagandist.

I am just trying to imagine seeing that, though. I think I would laugh for days if I was coming out of a coffee shop and I see those two discussing politics very loudly. Who wants to imagine it with me?

well, this has gone on long enough
as soon as I saw this thread I pointed it out to another mod and we were both wondering whether to close it because

LoveTown said:
the style in which the arguements are constructed

I will take it was not intented but this thread never seemed to start a good discussion and I don't think we need more threads like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom