Why are all celebrities left wingers? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2004, 12:07 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:01 PM
Erm...I just want to say that I'm a rather idealistic person who pushes for peace and love and all that good stuff...and I am far from being rich and famous. Far, far from it.

Angela

Old 08-05-2004, 12:10 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BluberryPoptart
Again, 'creative' can be another word for 'dreamer'- such as people who believe you can peacefully 'negotiate' with terrorists
Just curious...where do you get that connection from?

Angela

Old 08-05-2004, 12:10 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi

generally and statistically speaking,
-those with higher incomes tend to be more liberal in their perspective
-those who are more creative tend to be more liberal in their perspectives
-those who are better educated tend to be more liberal in their perspectives
-those who reside in urban areas tend to be more liberal in their perspectives.
I've seen similar statement made with respect to other belief sets (political, social or religious). I think it is a rather arrogant way to suggest that one belief set is superior to another. I would doubt the validity of the statements as well.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:14 PM   #19
The Fly

Local Time: 11:01 PM
Quote:
Again, 'creative' can be another word for 'dreamer'- such as people who believe you can peacefully 'negotiate' with terrorists
Actually...you are WAY off base. In order to negotiate with terrorists, you need to be pretty darn creative. "Creative" IS NOT another tern for "dreamer." That is a limited view of the term. If it weren't for creative people, you surely wouldn't have a place like the Internet to drool over Bono - or have a car, or lighting or electricity.

Quote:
Yes, mostly the inner city poor who think the dems are better on social programs.
NOW THIS is truly a offensive statement. IT seems as if it just another one of your broad-stroke slurs. When I think of "Urban cores," I see a lot more wealth too. Look at Manhattan and Chicago! They are "Urban Cores" that have a ton of wealth, and a liberal slant (even with the amount of wealth).
Old 08-05-2004, 12:21 PM   #20
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by fly on the wall

Actually...you are WAY off base. In order to negotiate with terrorists, you need to be pretty darn creative.
You CANNOT negotiate with terrorists, that's the point. What do people negotiate with?

Money? They don't want it. They only want to kill the infidel and wipe out our way of life.

Their lives? How can you, when most of them hope to die in the fight and go gloriously to Allah as a martyr? If someone doesn't want money and isn't in fear of their own life, how can you 'negotiate' anything with them?

Land? Territory? That's what most negotiations involve, and have throughout time. But with the war on terror, that is not even an issue. That's what I'm saying, this is a totally different situation than what people have always 'negotiated' for. They are not going to say, oh, okay, and take a flower and skip away. It doesn't work like that. If only it did.

Quote:
NOW THIS is truly a offensive statement. IT seems as if it just another one of your broad-stroke slurs. When I think of "Urban cores," I see a lot more wealth too. Look at Manhattan and Chicago! They are "Urban Cores" that have a ton of wealth, and a liberal slant (even with the amount of wealth).
I'm not saying there aren't any upscale urban liberals. But you cannot deny that the inner city poor are almost a 100% lock for the democrats in any election. That's what I was referring to.
It's a proven statistical fact, there's nothing offensive about it.

Speaking of 'offensive" I will avoid answering the 'broad stroke slur' comment in order to save trouble on the forum
Old 08-05-2004, 12:26 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 07:01 PM
lemme see....I'm a poor white girl from the sticks of northern maine...and I'm very liberal. Why? Because I am a provider of human services and republicans tend to cut human services spending right off the top! Oh hell why did I even respond to this thread. I'm getting sick of the political crap in FYM not to mention the style in which the arguements are constructed
Old 08-05-2004, 12:32 PM   #22
Refugee

A serious thread like this demands serious discussion, and serious discussion is sparked by serious questions. So I solemnly ask, why are Republicans such doodyheads?
Old 08-05-2004, 12:36 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:01 AM
Yeah, and how can conservatives call themselves U2 fans?

Old 08-05-2004, 12:37 PM   #24
The Fly

doodyheads?

I have a theory that "girlyboys" who dream of growing up to be Queens and living in castles...

Nevermind.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:37 PM   #25
War Child

What so now there's a litmus test for politics before you are allowed to enjoy listening to certain songs?
Old 08-05-2004, 12:37 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy
A serious thread like this demands serious discussion, and serious discussion is sparked by serious questions. So I solemnly ask, why are Republicans such doodyheads?
And Democrats are "girlie men"....
Old 08-05-2004, 12:41 PM   #27
Refugee

Old 08-05-2004, 12:52 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:01 PM
apologies-i did not preface my comment with the fact that they are canadian demog. research.

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I've seen similar statement made with respect to other belief sets (political, social or religious). I think it is a rather arrogant way to suggest that one belief set is superior to another. I would doubt the validity of the statements as well.
stats can lie. but canadian social and political research has repeatedly exhibited these trends. (rural communities with a strong religious identification and generally lower income tend to favor conservative causes. the urban communities where income is somewhat higher and education is much higher identify as liberal. those suburban communities where income has generally been highest and both education and religion vary is the battleground for votes)

statiscally speaking, these trends are valid. but i meant to say it the data was culled from canadians and thus the conclusions drawn may very well be restricted to that identifiable group.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:59 PM   #29
The Fly

Local Time: 06:01 PM
I read an interesting story a few days ago in the NY Daily News about Russell Simmons and Kid Rock getting into an argument over Michael Moore in the Hamptons. I am guessing you can probably tell who is left and right, but it ended with Kid Rock putting a statement on Russell's car (paraphrase) on how W is gonna take the country and that Moore is a propagandist.

I am just trying to imagine seeing that, though. I think I would laugh for days if I was coming out of a coffee shop and I see those two discussing politics very loudly. Who wants to imagine it with me?
Old 08-05-2004, 01:22 PM   #30
you are what you is

Local Time: 12:01 AM
well, this has gone on long enough
as soon as I saw this thread I pointed it out to another mod and we were both wondering whether to close it because

Quote:
Originally posted by LoveTown
the style in which the arguements are constructed

I will take it was not intented but this thread never seemed to start a good discussion and I don't think we need more threads like that

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa