Who's Your Favorite US President?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seriously, it would have to be Abraham Lincoln, FDR or Jimmy Carter.

Abraham Lincoln and FDR were both men who kept the country together. They weren't as idealistic as history made them out to be, and had failings and political self-interest, but they were the right leaders at the right time. I also admire Lincoln as a genuinely good person. Touring his home in Springfield was really an interesting experience.

Carter wasn't a very effective president (though he takes alot of unfair blame for Afghanistan), but I've admired his post-White House work and I think he's one of the few genuinely good politicians working today.

Kennedy...........President during one of the most interesting times in history.

C24206_25A.JPG

He made America stand proud once again.

From history, Kennedy. I think he represented positive ideals and putting those ideals into action.

From present time-Clinton. In spite of all his flaws, he had such a way w/ people, a charisma that I think helped him accomplish much of what he accomplished. I believe that part of him is genuine and comes from a good place. I like how he came from an average family and got to where he did on his own.

Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Woodrow Wilson, Franklin Roosevelt, Harry Truman, John Kennedy, Ronald Reagan, George W. Bush all make the shortlist.

I think that in terms of achievements Lincoln and Reagan are ahead ~ the problem with Kennedy is although he epitomised the values of the time and his administration dealt with some very big issues (civil rights, missile crisis, nuclear test ban treaty, Vietnam) it was only half written ~ I think his extraordinary death and the media age have really inflated his legacy more than it actually will. In a century if we come back how will these presidents be remembered (I do not think that Clinton or Carter will be considered among the greats ~ GWB is a wildcard because his policys much like trumans have to suceed relatively quickly, if things are not aligned the best way with a neo-realist strategy of liberty then the US could face decades of terror against major threat from the Muslim world. I don't think that anybody is in a position to make an adequate judgement of this administration ~ check back in 50 years and we may see some better perspective.

Abe is #1... here's a few other favorites of mine:

Washington
Jefferson
Taft - just for getting stuck in the bathtub :lol::wink:
FD Roosevelt
Kennedy
Carter
Reagan
Bush Sr

Bill Clinton is my favorite. He made a mistake with not fessing up about Monica but his hard work and dedication to making life better for normal hard working americans makes up for it.

I liked Clinton also, I should have said that in my post. I thought he was very fair to the average person. He did make some mistakes.

Bill Pullman deserves some kudos. I mean, when the aliens attacked--he was right there on the front lines, jumping into a fighter plane. And his rallying speech ranks up there with FDR's "a day of infamy."

In no order...

Clinton - I really don't care what he did sexually or with who, it doesn't change the fact that the man was/is a dipolmatic genius. He a charisma, a way with words, an intelligence, that elevated him. He was THIS close to having a peace deal with Isreal/Palestine. Only reason it didn't happen was because Arafat didn't accept it in time. By the time he did, GWB was in office and the deal wasn't on the table anymore(boo).

Carter - I know he wasn't a very effective president, and yes, we can thank him for credit card inflation. But he is a good man. An honest man. And he had nothing but good intentions. I'd like to see that more often in politicians. He had a down-to-earth-ness, an inherent decency and honesty, that men like John Kerry and GWB could never dream of having.

FDR - Got us through WWII and the Depression. Put the New Deal in place. Got elected to FOUR terms, and is the reason we limit presidents to two terms now.

Kennedy - Was very idealistic, strived for unity. In terms of ideals and goals and desires, reminds me of MLK more than any other president.

Lincoln - the only Republican to make my list. Got us through the Civil War. Ended slavery with the Emancipation Proclamation. And when you make a speech like the Gettysburg address..."a house divided against itself cannot stand"...you become one of the great presidents. Those words could fit the current political landscape in this country like a glove.

i guess kennedy would be my pick. as far as that clinton thing, i don't give a fuck if the president has an orgy, as long as i don't have to watch it. sure, he cheated a little, but people make mistakes.

I'm not best served to vote for anyone pre-war as I'd have no idea but I'd have to say Clinton did great things for your country, a pity you allowed personal issues and 'a good story' to get in the way. I wouldn't even call it a mistake, it's a personal thing, not illegal and completely unrelated to politics.

RA-D said:
I wouldn't even call it a mistake, it's a personal thing, not illegal and completely unrelated to politics.
:scratch:

It was a dishonest mistake, he committed perjury by lying to the American people, and it represented the degrading of our ethical code of conduct. His actions represented our country as much as Bush's actions do. Adultery is a major mistake, and please don't ask me to define "adultery" for you.

Back
Top Bottom