Who's forgotten?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First, thanks for posting this.

Second....if it is midnight where you are, view this in the morning.

If you were in NY when 9/11 happened or lost a loved one on 9/11 view it when you have time to regroup or do not view it.

I am not going to be able to sleep.

AS for Germany and one third of the people in the poll thinking that this was done to us by our own governement......The disgust I felt at that time is not easily put into words suitable for this forum.

Last edited:
I didn't like this Flash-animation at all, the creator (experienced with media) should know the difference between a victim of a disaster and someone who sacrifices himself (or herself) to save others.
The second one definetly is a hero, the first one a victim.

Overall i'm allways against forgetting, i just strongly dissliked the style it was presented. I don't know what the relatives of the people who were photographed in "close ups" while dying think when they see their beloved are used to sell a message.

Giving too much people the honor of being a hero is unfair to real heros.

To the German poll: I'm ashamed.
Can you give me more details who did this poll? i never heared of it.

Klaus

Hmm...is this the same animation? All I get are text quotes on an Enya sample soundtrack. From what you're all talking, there were pictures.

Melon

melon:

heroes.swf from http://www.bloodofheroes.com/ (i get redirected to that animation when i open http://64.177.83.63/liberty/email.htm)

lots of textsamples at the beginning, later
we must never forget turns into red when you hear a airplane engine.. some pictures of 9/11 then a closeup of a women jumped out of the building with "this is someones daughter.."
next picture a lady with a celphone crying, subtitle "this could be you... someone you love is gone."

That is the flash-animation i am talking about.

Klaus

I see it now...

First off, those photos were readily available in the media, so I don't see an issue with using them.

Secondly, if you don't like this, I won't show you the 9-11 tribute I made for my comic design class that semester.

But I do agree that "hero" is thrown around too much, although, in this instance, I think it is forgivable.

Melon

wolfwill23:
according to the Museum of Tolerance (Simon Wiesenthal Center/LA) the most Neonazis live in the US, because of that i assume the rate of idiots who don't believe that the Holocaust happened it is lower in Germany than in the USA.
It should be verry hard to ignore this fact if you are raised in germany anyway since every schoolclass visits a KZ (Concentration Camp). But i'm sorry that i can't give you a exact number in this case.

But if you are interested in discussions about the 3. Reich or Neonazis you should start a new thread.

Klaus

Last edited:
Well, if I'm to take this piece seriously (and, for the sake of discussion, for a moment I will take it seriously), then........

I'd be interested in knowing who made this piece.

I'd be interested in knowing what their agenda was/is.

As it stands, I am VERY skeptical of the author's motivation.

I think most of us have the images of 9/11 imprinted in our minds. I know I do.

This piece comes off to me as quite possibly being nothing more than pro-Bush, pro-war propaganda and/or an EXTREMELY patronizing and manipulative joke.

The author must think his/her audience is stupid. Actually, I feel like a sucker for even commenting on this ridiculous piece, but what the hell, we've got to have something to talk about here in FYM.

Edited for typo.

FizzingWhizzbees said:
Wolfwill, what does that have to do with anything?

It is a fair questions to go beyond the immediate question and ponder the societal factors that would lead to such wide spread beliefs (especially by the youth of the country).

Klaus - the Neonazi and the holocaust denier are two different creatures. But you are correct - stuff for a different thread.

sue4u2 said:

This, after I read about a poll in Germany that thinks the USA's government would orchestrate such a horror on it's own people.

Sue, that's a nice random thought you've thrown out there. Care to cite your sources?

:|

if there is one thing that i will never forget along with anyone who has a human soul will be 9/11. that day was horrifying for all. i personally hate seeing the images of people from the buildings and the person leaping to their death. it haunts me and makes me very sad to know there wasn't a thing for those people to do other than face certain death. :sad:

and i am sadden to see that German poll. it always amazes me how people deny many factual events. from the atrocities of wars to the lunar landing.

Well at one time 60% of Americans polled believed there were Iraqis on those planes. So it seems either everyone is confused, people being polled aren't that bright, or polls don't mean :censored:

september 11th, 2001 was a tragic day.

similar events have occured elsewhere.

they are all tragic and should have been prevented.

those responsible should be punished.

it really goes without saying at this point.
edited to say there is certainly no harm in remembering however.

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:

Not such a random thought.

this is true but do not believe any polling results until you know where they came from. until someone can explain to me what die zeit is i dont give this much. CNN does not provide any link and i couldnt find an english version of their site. they also didnt provide the wording of the question from which they derive this 1/3.

we'd really have to know more about the publication and the study methodology. granted they do state that 1 000 were polled.

OMG.....I remember that infernal day like it was yesterday. My sister was still living in Lower Manhattan, and I was running around like crazy, making phone calls and such, trying to get the news that she was safe. I finally did get it, but I've never been so scared in my life. Horrors.

Thanks nbcrusader!

I just saw the article on Page 5 of "Die Zeit" - i should have opened my newspaper before i posted in this forum

anyway, the original article also online :

Statistics:

Do you believe that TV and press reported the full truth on the Terrorstrikes of 9/11? (Yes / No)

All Germans: 27 / 68
Eastern Bundesl?nder: 31 / 62
Western Bundesl?nder: 26 / 70
All Germans under age 30: 19 / 78

umfrage_500.gif

Do you believe that the US-Government could have ...

All Germans: 19 / 72
Eastern Bundesl?nder: 29 / 62
Western Bundesl?nder: 16 / 75
All Germans under age 30: 31 / 62

umfrage2_255.gif

So to me the meaning of the choosen ords vary a lot from the CNN translation.

I also believe that the US could have bombed Hamburg like 60 years ago (they have the technical and logistical ability to do so), where one of the 9/11 tourists lived, but i was also sure they would not do it (they would never murder millions of people for no reason).

So, they don't believe that the US government has done it, just that they could have done it.

The reason for all that misstrust against the media and the government seems for me to be the what they reported in the last months and what was proven wrong.

--- pause ----

The whole article is about conspirancy-theories in general and people who love easy answers in a world that is too complex for them.

It is about a new generation which started to be interested in politics with 9/11 and before they knew what and who caused that terrorstrike they saw the Iraqwar in the media "excited CNN Reporters swininging their Microphonecables like lassos on Abraham-Tanks". So they are perfectly prepared for those who allways offered "easy answers"

kobayashi:

"Die Zeit" is my favourite newspaper and imho verry reliable. Politically verry centered, they wrote about pros and contras of the iraq war, they wrote verry critical articles about the former conservative government, they write verry critical articles about the curent socialdemocratic government.

Klaus

Last edited:
Klaus,

Thank you for the translation from the source. It is clear the language was used to skew the results. The end product is much more of a headline grabber.

FizzingWhizzbees said:
Wolfwill, what does that have to do with anything?

To suggust that the US gov. had something to do with 9/11 is about the same as saying the Holocaust never happened.

Both remarks are extremely insenctive and ignorant.

Sorry,
That wasn't meant to be a hit and run. Got off line after that and had a busy day at work. Jumped on line once and then phones began ringing. Thanks for the source nbcrusader. I actually thought I had read it since I read alot on the internet, but I actually saw a short clip on CNN that morning. My good friend sent the link, and there was no ulterior motive or political comment implied. It just struck me at the moment to post the link since these two events happened in the same day. I do agree that one shouldn't put too much stock into poll results. To unreliable. however. I did enjoy everyone's comments on the subject,

wolfwill23:
well i don't think it's allways necessary to compare to historical superlatives from the third Reich.

sue4u2:

Thanks for you post - i'm happy that reality wasn't as bad as it looked like (there are enough reasons already to feel ashamed ob because of my fellow citizens) ;)

Klaus

p.s. Could be interesting to do the media poll "do you feel media informes you with the full truth" on FYM :)

Klaus

Good idea. Bring on a poll. I actually come to FYM because I get such slanted views from the media and I like to read about what "real people" think. (You are real people, right?) Even though I have voted in every election (with the exception of 1980 because I was having a baby that day) I can count on one hand the times I have been called to participate in a national poll. The last time I was called I was asked if I was leaning more towards the dem's. or rep's. candidate. I began by saying more left, and before I could even say why, I was hung up on. I've not been "polled" since. by phone, anyway. I do like participating in online polls because I think national polls are demographically determined by income some how. I'm not rich or even close to it but by all that is holy, I do have an informed opinion. I still say don't believe half of what you see and less of what you hear. then, there in, lies the dilemma.

I can't beleive that people think that the US gov't would purposely orchestrate such an event. That video gave me the chills. I am still hoping that I will wake up & find out that it's Sept 12 2001, and that nothing happened the day before, but as time goes by, and as I see videos such as that, I realize that that is impossibile.

Back
Top Bottom