Who's forgotten? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2003, 11:42 AM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sue4u2

This, after I read about a poll in Germany that thinks the USA's government would orchestrate such a horror on it's own people.

Sue, that's a nice random thought you've thrown out there. Care to cite your sources?

Old 07-25-2003, 12:27 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:08 AM
The story was covered heavily yesterday.

German Disbelief over 9/11

Quote:
BERLIN, Germany (Reuters) -- One-third of Germans under age 30 believe the U.S. government may have sponsored the September 11, 2001, attacks on New York and Washington, according to a poll.
Not such a random thought.

Old 07-25-2003, 12:50 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 02:08 PM

if there is one thing that i will never forget along with anyone who has a human soul will be 9/11. that day was horrifying for all. i personally hate seeing the images of people from the buildings and the person leaping to their death. it haunts me and makes me very sad to know there wasn't a thing for those people to do other than face certain death.

and i am sadden to see that German poll. it always amazes me how people deny many factual events. from the atrocities of wars to the lunar landing.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:52 PM   #19
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:08 PM
Well at one time 60% of Americans polled believed there were Iraqis on those planes. So it seems either everyone is confused, people being polled aren't that bright, or polls don't mean
Old 07-25-2003, 12:54 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:08 PM
september 11th, 2001 was a tragic day.

similar events have occured elsewhere.

they are all tragic and should have been prevented.

those responsible should be punished.

it really goes without saying at this point.
edited to say there is certainly no harm in remembering however.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:08 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Not such a random thought.
this is true but do not believe any polling results until you know where they came from. until someone can explain to me what die zeit is i dont give this much. CNN does not provide any link and i couldnt find an english version of their site. they also didnt provide the wording of the question from which they derive this 1/3.

we'd really have to know more about the publication and the study methodology. granted they do state that 1 000 were polled.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:22 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:08 PM
OMG.....I remember that infernal day like it was yesterday. My sister was still living in Lower Manhattan, and I was running around like crazy, making phone calls and such, trying to get the news that she was safe. I finally did get it, but I've never been so scared in my life. Horrors.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:26 PM   #23
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 08:08 PM
Thanks nbcrusader!

I just saw the article on Page 5 of "Die Zeit" - i should have opened my newspaper before i posted in this forum

anyway, the original article also online :

Statistics:

Do you believe that TV and press reported the full truth on the Terrorstrikes of 9/11? (Yes / No)

All Germans: 27 / 68
Eastern Bundeslšnder: 31 / 62
Western Bundeslšnder: 26 / 70
All Germans under age 30: 19 / 78

Do you believe that the US-Government could have ...

All Germans: 19 / 72
Eastern Bundeslšnder: 29 / 62
Western Bundeslšnder: 16 / 75
All Germans under age 30: 31 / 62

So to me the meaning of the choosen ords vary a lot from the CNN translation.

I also believe that the US [b]could have[b] bombed Hamburg like 60 years ago (they have the technical and logistical ability to do so), where one of the 9/11 tourists lived, but i was also sure they [b]would not[b] do it (they would never murder millions of people for no reason).

So, they don't believe that the US government has done it, just that they could have done it.

The reason for all that misstrust against the media and the government seems for me to be the what they reported in the last months and what was proven wrong.

--- pause ----

The whole article is about conspirancy-theories in general and people who love easy answers in a world that is too complex for them.

It is about a new generation which started to be interested in politics with 9/11 and before they knew what and who caused that terrorstrike they saw the Iraqwar in the media "excited CNN Reporters swininging their Microphonecables like lassos on Abraham-Tanks". So they are perfectly prepared for those who allways offered "easy answers"

kobayashi:

"Die Zeit" is my favourite newspaper and imho verry reliable. Politically verry centered, they wrote about pros and contras of the iraq war, they wrote verry critical articles about the former conservative government, they write verry critical articles about the curent socialdemocratic government.

Klaus
Old 07-25-2003, 01:30 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:08 AM
Klaus,

Thank you for the translation from the source. It is clear the language was used to skew the results. The end product is much more of a headline grabber.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:38 PM   #25
War Child

Local Time: 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
Wolfwill, what does that have to do with anything?
To suggust that the US gov. had something to do with 9/11 is about the same as saying the Holocaust never happened.

Both remarks are extremely insenctive and ignorant.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:38 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Sorry,
That wasn't meant to be a hit and run. Got off line after that and had a busy day at work. Jumped on line once and then phones began ringing. Thanks for the source nbcrusader. I actually thought I had read it since I read alot on the internet, but I actually saw a short clip on CNN that morning. My good friend sent the link, and there was no ulterior motive or political comment implied. It just struck me at the moment to post the link since these two events happened in the same day. I do agree that one shouldn't put too much stock into poll results. To unreliable. however. I did enjoy everyone's comments on the subject,
Old 07-26-2003, 01:44 AM   #27
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
wolfwill23:
well i don't think it's allways necessary to compare to historical superlatives from the third Reich.

sue4u2:

Thanks for you post - i'm happy that reality wasn't as bad as it looked like (there are enough reasons already to feel ashamed ob because of my fellow citizens)

Klaus

p.s. Could be interesting to do the media poll "do you feel media informes you with the full truth" on FYM

Klaus
Old 07-26-2003, 05:24 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Good idea. Bring on a poll. I actually come to FYM because I get such slanted views from the media and I like to read about what "real people" think. (You are real people, right?) Even though I have voted in every election (with the exception of 1980 because I was having a baby that day) I can count on one hand the times I have been called to participate in a national poll. The last time I was called I was asked if I was leaning more towards the dem's. or rep's. candidate. I began by saying more left, and before I could even say why, I was hung up on. I've not been "polled" since. by phone, anyway. I do like participating in online polls because I think national polls are demographically determined by income some how. I'm not rich or even close to it but by all that is holy, I do have an informed opinion. I still say don't believe half of what you see and less of what you hear. then, there in, lies the dilemma.
Old 07-26-2003, 08:03 PM   #29
War Child

I can't beleive that people think that the US gov't would purposely orchestrate such an event. That video gave me the chills. I am still hoping that I will wake up & find out that it's Sept 12 2001, and that nothing happened the day before, but as time goes by, and as I see videos such as that, I realize that that is impossibile.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:10 AM   #30
Refugee

sue4u2: I'd like to, but i'm just a "stinky standard member" no premium or VIP

Klaus