Who would take hell for the US?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whiteflag

The Fly
I was saying in another thread that Great Britian would most certainly go down fighting with us if that ever became necessary.

But I am not so sure of the feelings of other countries that are friends of the US. So I'd like to ask those members who are from those countries what they think their country would do if it really came down it. How deep is the friendship in your opinion? How much sacrifice would the people of your country generally accept? If we faced a enemy (seemingly) much stronger than all of us and it was a matter of collaborate and be safe or side with the US and really run the risk of being destroyed, what would the descision be for your country?

Keeping in mind, of course, that any power out to destroy the US would probably not be very nice and also remembering that it is by no means a given that nations will do the right thing even when its obvious.

So what's your gut instinct on this? How good is the friendship?

Last edited:
I think the states could depend on us, Canada, though it would make as much difference as throwing a pebble into a roaring river.

Lets face it, our military is below the standards of the super-powers. Whats our max, 100,000 men??

Anyway, we are best-known for our peace-keeping efforts overseas, and for that I can be proud.

I'd also like to think the States would bale us out! ;)

Basstrap,

IMO Of course. Without a question in a heartbeat. I mean what would we do if we didn't have our big northern buddy to kick around? :wink:

btw, your answer doesn't surprise me. I have always thought that Canada would be a true friend in a pinch (we ARE family) but I just didn't want to go and assume that was true given how much grief you take from us! :)

Last edited:
Depends on the situation really doesn't it? If it's an unprovoked (sp??) attack from some nation or maybe a group of nations, I'm sure the newly formed European Reaction Force would (and should) join in (at the US side I mean... :wink:).

But if the US starts attacking Iraq or some other country for dubious reasons, and if the US indeed is losing that battle, you'd be on your own if it were up to me.

Dr Teeth, I think what I had in mind was individual countries. Why? Because I really doubt that blocks of countries like the EU could withstand a crisis like the one I am thinking about. Such a crisis would be truly divisive and I don't think the answer could be made corporately like the EU makes most of its decisions today. Especially not when a country can choose to leave that union at anytime by just leaving. Niether do I think that such a decision would be so obvious that the answer would be easy.

I know that the US would stand up no matter the odds because we are just stubborn as hell and for us surrender equals death. We also don't see anthing much as impossible. England and Canada would stand with us because we are family and we think alike and value the same things whenever the s*** hits the fan.

Now I am asking you personally in all sincerity. Would the Netherlands governement choose to stand with the US if it wasn't part of a big group of countries, if it had to make the decision on its own? What if it had to go against what other EU countries decided?

And do you really believe that the EU is strong enough to hold up to the worst possible crisis?

As always, I am just curious to see what people think about things.

Last edited:
DrTeeth said:
Depends on the situation really doesn't it?

oh here we go

If it's an unprovoked (sp??) attack from some nation or maybe a group of nations, I'm sure the newly formed European Reaction Force would (and should) join in (at the US side I mean... :wink:).

:up: thanks

But if the US starts attacking Iraq or some other country for dubious reasons

dubious? Umm but you know we don't really care about their weapons of mass destruction, or their genocide they carry out on their own people, but you call our greed for their 5% of oil DUBIOUS

, and if the US indeed is losing that battle

:laugh::laugh: hahahahahahahahhahahahahaha:laugh::laugh:

Hey Lemonite, I think I've found our roach!!:laugh:

, you'd be on your own if it were up to me.

There you go, thats more like it:)

Last edited:
whiteflag said:
Now I am asking you personally in all sincerity. Would the Netherlands governement choose to stand with the US if it wasn't part of a big group of countries, if it had to make the decision on its own? What if it had to go against what other EU countries decided?

It will not be the first time the Netherlands have to make decisions on their own (we have been an independant country for quite a while you know....), but any action taken by the Dutch will be discussed with other members of the EU. Even if the negotiations with other EU members fail, the Netherlands will be free to take action on it's own if that's what they want.

If you ask me personally, I don't condone unconditional support to any country. I believe every action taken by a country should be judged on it's own. So it really depends on the situation.

Z Edge, I've seen you write some decent and thoughtfull posts during my time on interference. Too bad the one in this thread isn't one of them. What happened?

EDIT: damn smilies

DrTeeth said:

Z Edge, I've seen you write some decent and thoughtfull posts during my time on interference. Too bad the one in this thread isn't one of them. What happened?

Well thanks for that, and I have certainly seen some thoughtful ones by you as well.

Yet I also have seen posts where you called me a "sorry ass" (my "to hell with seatbelt laws" thread back in mid-december of 2001) and more recently you compared my boss to Hitler. Yet you stated above that you would (conditionally) join forces with me and "Hitler"

I just found that funny, thats all

:heart::heart::heart: :heart::heart::heart::heart:

Last edited:
Well I'm no saint either :sexywink:. Concerning the status quo about the Hitler analogy; take a look at my explanation in the other thread.

DrTeeth said:
Well I'm no saint either :sexywink:. Concerning the status quo about the Hitler analogy; take a look at my explanation in the other thread.

Damn there are so many "other threads" lately, you will have to show me which one:lol:

And stop winking at me:sexywink:

Basstrap said:
I think the states could depend on us, Canada, though it would make as much difference as throwing a pebble into a roaring river.

ooohh basstrap! you know we'd be there in a heartbeat for you!!

loveyouloveyoucanada :heart: :heart: :heart:

Most likely we would offer a country something so that they would fight for us, so with that in mind I would have to say just about any one. Besides who do u guys think would want to be on the bad side of the US. Its seems like if u get on the bad side ur pretty much history. Am I right?

whiteflag said:
I was saying in another thread that Great Britian would most certainly go down fighting with us if that ever became necessary.

How good is the friendship?

After that stupid law that makes it possible to attack the Netherlands if there are American warcriminals in prison, i have my doubts about the word friendship.

THere's no doubt in my mind that the majority of European nations don't stand with us and will never stand with us in our efforts in the middle east. While we ask Arafat to stop funding terrorists, the EU continues to give Arafat $10 million Euros a month to keep his govt. afloat. They just pledged an additional 5 million for the recent Israeli incursion. They didn't make him agree to any demands to stop his funding of groups like Hamas in order
to receive the money.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,745405,00.html

The US has a mostly left-leaning media (i.e. CNN, MSNBC, etc, etc), but we also have right-leaning components (i.e. Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, etc etc). Europe's mainstream media, on the other hand, is basically composed of left and "further left" components. They don't have anyone to "balance them out". This is a great environment for brainwashing and that's exactly what's happening. I can't think of the last time I saw a post by a European that wasn't critical of the US.
The majority of Europeans who I've met here in the US and on the net are fully versed on the many "evils" of our country (probably more so than the evils of their own countries) and the post-911 sympathy shown on many US stations from Europe was only a glance at a few groups in Europe to make us all feel better. The majority of Europeans may have felt a moment of sympathy followed by a ton of gloating and finger-pointing. Just note that a book that has recently sold 200,000 copies in France and has placed at the top of best-seller lists there implicates the US in a massive conspiracy. The book claims that the 9-11 planes were computer-controlled by the American govt. and that Muslims were never involved in the attacks. The author reasons that Muslims could not have been involved since the Quran forbids suicide (see Palestine vs. Israel). The fact that the French public has shelled out money for such trash (to reach best-seller status) despite the fact that their own media ridicules it is evidence of a culture sickness. :drool:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...rips_french__sept__11_as_right_wing_u_s__plot

The reactions of the European press to everything done by the Bush administration is a kneejerk reaction that comes from being unable to understand any right-wing perspective since they have no significant right-wing groups in their countries. They only feel obligated to pander to the left-wing. I predict that Europe will grow increasingly more critical of us when we refuse to go along with UN mandates. They want us to be held accountable with international courts where our soldiers will be threatened by corrupt international politics and they want our power to be held at the mercy of a bunch of anti-American Arab and European bureaucrats in the UN. The world is going to hell in a handbasket! You heard it here!:no:

Back
Top Bottom