Who would take hell for the US? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2002, 02:17 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 12:35 PM
Who would take hell for the US?

I was saying in another thread that Great Britian would most certainly go down fighting with us if that ever became necessary.

But I am not so sure of the feelings of other countries that are friends of the US. So I'd like to ask those members who are from those countries what they think their country would do if it really came down it. How deep is the friendship in your opinion? How much sacrifice would the people of your country generally accept? If we faced a enemy (seemingly) much stronger than all of us and it was a matter of collaborate and be safe or side with the US and really run the risk of being destroyed, what would the descision be for your country?

Keeping in mind, of course, that any power out to destroy the US would probably not be very nice and also remembering that it is by no means a given that nations will do the right thing even when its obvious.

So what's your gut instinct on this? How good is the friendship?

Old 06-27-2002, 02:27 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:05 AM
I think the states could depend on us, Canada, though it would make as much difference as throwing a pebble into a roaring river.

Lets face it, our military is below the standards of the super-powers. Whats our max, 100,000 men??

Anyway, we are best-known for our peace-keeping efforts overseas, and for that I can be proud.

I'd also like to think the States would bale us out!

Old 06-27-2002, 02:31 PM   #3
The Fly

Basstrap,

IMO Of course. Without a question in a heartbeat. I mean what would we do if we didn't have our big northern buddy to kick around?

btw, your answer doesn't surprise me. I have always thought that Canada would be a true friend in a pinch (we ARE family) but I just didn't want to go and assume that was true given how much grief you take from us!
Old 06-27-2002, 03:11 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:35 PM

Depends on the situation really doesn't it? If it's an unprovoked (sp??) attack from some nation or maybe a group of nations, I'm sure the newly formed European Reaction Force would (and should) join in (at the US side I mean... ).

But if the US starts attacking Iraq or some other country for dubious reasons, and if the US indeed is losing that battle, you'd be on your own if it were up to me.
Old 06-27-2002, 03:39 PM   #5
The Fly

Dr Teeth, I think what I had in mind was individual countries. Why? Because I really doubt that blocks of countries like the EU could withstand a crisis like the one I am thinking about. Such a crisis would be truly divisive and I don't think the answer could be made corporately like the EU makes most of its decisions today. Especially not when a country can choose to leave that union at anytime by just leaving. Niether do I think that such a decision would be so obvious that the answer would be easy.

I know that the US would stand up no matter the odds because we are just stubborn as hell and for us surrender equals death. We also don't see anthing much as impossible. England and Canada would stand with us because we are family and we think alike and value the same things whenever the s*** hits the fan.

Now I am asking you personally in all sincerity. Would the Netherlands governement choose to stand with the US if it wasn't part of a big group of countries, if it had to make the decision on its own? What if it had to go against what other EU countries decided?

And do you really believe that the EU is strong enough to hold up to the worst possible crisis?

As always, I am just curious to see what people think about things.
Old 06-27-2002, 05:23 PM   #6
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth
Depends on the situation really doesn't it?
oh here we go

Quote:
If it's an unprovoked (sp??) attack from some nation or maybe a group of nations, I'm sure the newly formed European Reaction Force would (and should) join in (at the US side I mean... ).
thanks

Quote:
But if the US starts attacking Iraq or some other country for dubious reasons
dubious? Umm but you know we don't really care about their weapons of mass destruction, or their genocide they carry out on their own people, but you call our greed for their 5% of oil DUBIOUS

Quote:
, and if the US indeed is losing that battle
hahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

Hey Lemonite, I think I've found our roach!!

Quote:
, you'd be on your own if it were up to me.
There you go, thats more like it
Old 06-27-2002, 05:50 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteflag
Now I am asking you personally in all sincerity. Would the Netherlands governement choose to stand with the US if it wasn't part of a big group of countries, if it had to make the decision on its own? What if it had to go against what other EU countries decided?
It will not be the first time the Netherlands have to make decisions on their own (we have been an independant country for quite a while you know....), but any action taken by the Dutch will be discussed with other members of the EU. Even if the negotiations with other EU members fail, the Netherlands will be free to take action on it's own if that's what they want.

If you ask me personally, I don't condone unconditional support to any country. I believe every action taken by a country should be judged on it's own. So it really depends on the situation.

Z Edge, I've seen you write some decent and thoughtfull posts during my time on interference. Too bad the one in this thread isn't one of them. What happened?
Old 06-27-2002, 06:04 PM   #8
I serve MacPhisto

EDIT: damn smilies

Quote:

Z Edge, I've seen you write some decent and thoughtfull posts during my time on interference. Too bad the one in this thread isn't one of them. What happened?
Well thanks for that, and I have certainly seen some thoughtful ones by you as well.

Yet I also have seen posts where you called me a "sorry ass" (my "to hell with seatbelt laws" thread back in mid-december of 2001) and more recently you compared my boss to Hitler. Yet you stated above that you would (conditionally) join forces with me and "Hitler"

I just found that funny, thats all

Old 06-27-2002, 06:15 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Well I'm no saint either . Concerning the status quo about the Hitler analogy; take a look at my explanation in the other thread.
Old 06-27-2002, 06:25 PM   #10
I serve MacPhisto

Quote:
Well I'm no saint either . Concerning the status quo about the Hitler analogy; take a look at my explanation in the other thread.
Damn there are so many "other threads" lately, you will have to show me which one

And stop winking at me
Old 06-27-2002, 08:14 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Basstrap
I think the states could depend on us, Canada, though it would make as much difference as throwing a pebble into a roaring river.

ooohh basstrap! you know we'd be there in a heartbeat for you!!

loveyouloveyoucanada
Old 06-30-2002, 03:10 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:35 AM
Most likely we would offer a country something so that they would fight for us, so with that in mind I would have to say just about any one. Besides who do u guys think would want to be on the bad side of the US. Its seems like if u get on the bad side ur pretty much history. Am I right?
Old 06-30-2002, 04:53 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Re: Who would take hell for the US?

Quote:
I was saying in another thread that Great Britian would most certainly go down fighting with us if that ever became necessary.

How good is the friendship?
After that stupid law that makes it possible to attack the Netherlands if there are American warcriminals in prison, i have my doubts about the word friendship.
Old 06-30-2002, 05:33 PM   #14
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Quote:

And do you really believe that the EU is strong enough to hold up to the worst possible crisis?

The European Union "Couldn't Defend an Ant Hill."

L.Unplugged

--Bill Clinton
Old 06-30-2002, 06:21 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonite

The European Union "Couldn't Defend an Ant Hill."

L.Unplugged
Its that a little harsh!