Who won GOP Debate on CNN tonight Jan 30 2008? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2008, 12:12 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

Both received an A-.
So my hunch was pert'near correct.

Thanks for the info.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:45 AM   #32
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:02 PM
Meh. If you compare all of TIME's report cards, for both parties' candidates, for all the debates, then everyone but Paul out of the 6 still in the running (McCain, Huck, Romney, Paul, HRC, Obama) in fact has a "B" average (they've never given Paul higher than a "C+"). Hillary and Obama have received "C-" and "C+" before, McCain and Romney have received "A-" before, Huckabee's received "B+" before, etc.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 02-02-2008, 03:56 AM   #33
Refugee

Local Time: 08:02 AM
Quote:

What a coincidence! That's exactly what I looked like when I saw you say Mitt Romney won and Infinitum say Ron Paul won.
So then who do you think won the Republican debate? I'm just going to say, thats also how I looked like every time anyone said that McCain, Romney or Huckabee won the Republican debate. What a coincidence.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:12 AM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

key word here is "perspective".
Old 02-02-2008, 05:41 AM   #35
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500

So my hunch was pert'near correct.

Thanks for the info.
Yes, you were clearly right.

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Meh. If you compare all of TIME's report cards, for both parties' candidates, for all the debates, then everyone but Paul out of the 6 still in the running (McCain, Huck, Romney, Paul, HRC, Obama) in fact has a "B" average (they've never given Paul higher than a "C+"). Hillary and Obama have received "C-" and "C+" before, McCain and Romney have received "A-" before, Huckabee's received "B+" before, etc.
Pesky facts.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Infinitum98
So then who do you think won the Republican debate? I'm just going to say, thats also how I looked like every time anyone said that McCain, Romney or Huckabee won the Republican debate. What a coincidence.
My point is that you have predicted Paul to win in every state so far, despite him clearly having no chance in those states, and have declared him the winner in almost every (if not all) debate. If you're not realistic, it makes it much harder to take your perspective seriously.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #37
Refugee

Quote:

My point is that you have predicted Paul to win in every state so far, despite him clearly having no chance in those states, and have declared him the winner in almost every (if not all) debate. If you're not realistic, it makes it much harder to take your perspective seriously.
Well the reason he has won every single debate is because he speaks the truth about Iraq. You can't really win a debate if you use our soldiers to gain political popularity nor if you unconditionally back such a horrible war. So if someone else is anti-war in the debate, then it could be that they can also win. But since you think it is ridiculous for anyone to assume that Ron Paul won the last debate, who do you think won?
Old 02-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #38
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

I think Paul's biggest problem in these debates is his delivery. Everything is said in an exasperated tone, and quite frankly, that ain't gonna win debates. What he says might be true, but if he sounds like a frustrated old man saying it, no one's going to pay attention.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:43 PM   #39
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:02 PM
^ That's been my impression too, from what I've seen of him in the debates. He has this recurrent undertone of Oh for God's sake! I'm surrounded by idiots!! which however much a given listener might privately agree with him, just isn't in keeping with what most would see as "Presidential" bearing. There are few things more insufferable then people who incessantly carry on about how insufferable everyone but them is.

McCain also can tend to come across as more peevish and spiteful than is good IMO, but not nearly so much.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 02-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #40
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
I think Paul's biggest problem in these debates is his delivery. Everything is said in an exasperated tone, and quite frankly, that ain't gonna win debates. What he says might be true, but if he sounds like a frustrated old man saying it, no one's going to pay attention.
I agree. He's too much of a straight talker instead of a nice talker. He should be more of a salesperson when he speaks.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Infinitum98
Well the reason he has won every single debate is because he speaks the truth about Iraq. You can't really win a debate if you use our soldiers to gain political popularity nor if you unconditionally back such a horrible war. So if someone else is anti-war in the debate, then it could be that they can also win. But since you think it is ridiculous for anyone to assume that Ron Paul won the last debate, who do you think won?
I don't think it's ridiculous for anyone to assume that Ron Paul won the last debate: I think it's ridiculous to believe that Paul is going to win every state when the primary comes up and to think he won every single debate.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #42
Refugee

Quote:

I don't think it's ridiculous for anyone to assume that Ron Paul won the last debate: I think it's ridiculous to believe that Paul is going to win every state when the primary comes up and to think he won every single debate.
About winning every single debate, I said that it was becasue he speaks the truth about our foreign policy.

About winning every state in the primaries, that is just me keeping the faith, but I can agree with you on why you think that is a ridiculous assumption. But it is definitely not ridiculous to say that he won every debate.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #43
Blue Crack Supplier

If you summarize every debate to one single issue, sure, Ron Paul won every debate.

But that's not how debates work.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:29 PM   #44
Refugee

Quote:
If you summarize every debate to one single issue, sure, Ron Paul won every debate.

But that's not how debates work.
Not only one issue. But war is one of the main, if not the main issue. But I don't see how someone who can back this war whether they truly believe it is right, or whether they are backing it for political gain (which most probably are), can be called a debate winner.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:31 PM   #45
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:02 AM
Winning a debate isn't about your positions though. It's about how you present them. It doesn't matter how right you are; if you're not persuading people, you're not winning.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog