Who won GOP Debate on CNN tonight Jan 30 2008?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Meh. If you compare all of TIME's report cards, for both parties' candidates, for all the debates, then everyone but Paul out of the 6 still in the running (McCain, Huck, Romney, Paul, HRC, Obama) in fact has a "B" average (they've never given Paul higher than a "C+"). Hillary and Obama have received "C-" and "C+" before, McCain and Romney have received "A-" before, Huckabee's received "B+" before, etc.

Last edited:
phillyfan26 said:

What a coincidence! That's exactly what I looked like when I saw you say Mitt Romney won and Infinitum say Ron Paul won.

So then who do you think won the Republican debate? I'm just going to say, thats also how I looked like every time anyone said that McCain, Romney or Huckabee won the Republican debate. What a coincidence.

INDY500 said:

So my hunch was pert'near correct.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, you were clearly right.

Originally posted by yolland
Meh. If you compare all of TIME's report cards, for both parties' candidates, for all the debates, then everyone but Paul out of the 6 still in the running (McCain, Huck, Romney, Paul, HRC, Obama) in fact has a "B" average (they've never given Paul higher than a "C+"). Hillary and Obama have received "C-" and "C+" before, McCain and Romney have received "A-" before, Huckabee's received "B+" before, etc.

Pesky facts. :wink:

Infinitum98 said:
So then who do you think won the Republican debate? I'm just going to say, thats also how I looked like every time anyone said that McCain, Romney or Huckabee won the Republican debate. What a coincidence.

My point is that you have predicted Paul to win in every state so far, despite him clearly having no chance in those states, and have declared him the winner in almost every (if not all) debate. If you're not realistic, it makes it much harder to take your perspective seriously.

phillyfan26 said:

My point is that you have predicted Paul to win in every state so far, despite him clearly having no chance in those states, and have declared him the winner in almost every (if not all) debate. If you're not realistic, it makes it much harder to take your perspective seriously.

Well the reason he has won every single debate is because he speaks the truth about Iraq. You can't really win a debate if you use our soldiers to gain political popularity nor if you unconditionally back such a horrible war. So if someone else is anti-war in the debate, then it could be that they can also win. But since you think it is ridiculous for anyone to assume that Ron Paul won the last debate, who do you think won?

I think Paul's biggest problem in these debates is his delivery. Everything is said in an exasperated tone, and quite frankly, that ain't gonna win debates. What he says might be true, but if he sounds like a frustrated old man saying it, no one's going to pay attention.

^ That's been my impression too, from what I've seen of him in the debates. He has this recurrent undertone of Oh for God's sake! I'm surrounded by idiots!! which however much a given listener might privately agree with him, just isn't in keeping with what most would see as "Presidential" bearing. There are few things more insufferable then people who incessantly carry on about how insufferable everyone but them is.

McCain also can tend to come across as more peevish and spiteful than is good IMO, but not nearly so much.

Diemen said:
I think Paul's biggest problem in these debates is his delivery. Everything is said in an exasperated tone, and quite frankly, that ain't gonna win debates. What he says might be true, but if he sounds like a frustrated old man saying it, no one's going to pay attention.

I agree. He's too much of a straight talker instead of a nice talker. He should be more of a salesperson when he speaks.

Infinitum98 said:
Well the reason he has won every single debate is because he speaks the truth about Iraq. You can't really win a debate if you use our soldiers to gain political popularity nor if you unconditionally back such a horrible war. So if someone else is anti-war in the debate, then it could be that they can also win. But since you think it is ridiculous for anyone to assume that Ron Paul won the last debate, who do you think won?

I don't think it's ridiculous for anyone to assume that Ron Paul won the last debate: I think it's ridiculous to believe that Paul is going to win every state when the primary comes up and to think he won every single debate.

phillyfan26 said:

I don't think it's ridiculous for anyone to assume that Ron Paul won the last debate: I think it's ridiculous to believe that Paul is going to win every state when the primary comes up and to think he won every single debate.

About winning every single debate, I said that it was becasue he speaks the truth about our foreign policy.

About winning every state in the primaries, that is just me keeping the faith, but I can agree with you on why you think that is a ridiculous assumption. But it is definitely not ridiculous to say that he won every debate.

If you summarize every debate to one single issue, sure, Ron Paul won every debate.

But that's not how debates work.

phillyfan26 said:
If you summarize every debate to one single issue, sure, Ron Paul won every debate.

But that's not how debates work.

Not only one issue. But war is one of the main, if not the main issue. But I don't see how someone who can back this war whether they truly believe it is right, or whether they are backing it for political gain (which most probably are), can be called a debate winner.

Winning a debate isn't about your positions though. It's about how you present them. It doesn't matter how right you are; if you're not persuading people, you're not winning.

The problem I have with McCain is that he only speaks in specifics about foreign policy, and nothing else.

In most every other area, he uses buzzwords like 'pork barrel spending' and 'Reagan Revolution' and otherwise else very little substance. It's like he's implying "Hey, I've been in Washington forever, so I *must* know....and if by chance I don't I have friends who do."

Back
Top Bottom