Who Will Protect Us....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
from wardrobe malfunctions!!!

Powell out at FCC

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Federal Communications Commission Chairman Michael Powell will resign from the agency he has led for four years, sources told CNN.

A senior government official says Powell, a member of the FCC since November 1998 and the chairman since early 2001, will announce his resignation later Friday. His term on the commission runs through 2007.

Let the F-bombing commence!!!

I'd welcome this news, but I've learned enough over the last few months to expect that someone even worse will be named his successor. Here's hoping that no one sees Dobson's attack on Spongebob as an audition.

strannix said:
I'd welcome this news, but I've learned enough over the last few months to expect that someone even worse will be named his successor. Here's hoping that no one sees Dobson's attack on Spongebob as an audition.

I wonder if CNN is makign a bigger deal about this than Dobson ?

I rarely have anything to do with Dobson (I prefer to do my own parenting thank you so much) but there's no mention of this on the front page of their site, (main headline is for Tsunami relief)

Just a thought.

I did linger long enough to see what they thought of HTDAAB

Dismantling U2's 'Bomb'
By Adam R. Holz

U2 is arguably the world's biggest band. And the group's 11th studio album, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, is an all-out celebration of the sound and ideas that have propelled the Irish foursome to such an iconic status.

In the '90s, U2 veered away from the guitar-driven melodies and faith-informed songs that won legions of fans during the previous decade. But with 2000's All That You Can't Leave Behind, Bono & Co. returned to their Unfortgettable Fire/Joshua Tree roots.

Atomic Bomb is cut from that same musical cloth, and it's saturated with faith, passion and struggle. It doesn't sugarcoat pain, but it doesn't dwell there, either. Instead, 11 soaring, personal songs invite listeners to be honest about their lives and to offer them to God.

By Bono's own admission, this album was shaped by the loss of his father, Bob Hewson, with whom he had a close but contentious relationship. The singer has said that the atomic bomb in the album's title was none other than his father, and that the only way to diffuse it was with love.

Faith, Beauty and Mystery
Bono, Edge, Larry Mullen Jr. and Adam Clayton seem increasingly comfortable with a musical identity that allows them to focus on the power of faith and love. The disc's final cut, "Yahweh," is a veritable modern-day psalm, a plea for God to take the normal stuff of life—our shoes, our shirts, our hands, our lips and our hearts—and transform them so that we might be a city "shining on a hill."

Bono told The New York Times, "There's cathedrals and the alleyway in our music. I think the alleyway is usually on the way to the cathedral, where you can hear your own footsteps, and you're slightly nervous and looking over your shoulder and wondering if there's someone following you. And then you get there, and you realize there was somebody following you: It's God."

Many times Bono's references to God are quite subtle, though. Rock critic Ann Powers calls them "broad and welcoming," explaining that they can "express ardor equally well for Christ, wives, supermodels, children or Bishop Desmond Tutu."

She's right, but Bono always seems inclined to include just enough context to equip the studious with the tools needed to unravel his meanings. "Vertigo," for example, contains the lyric, "All of this can be yours" that, when analyzed through the filter of its surroundings, seems to allude to Satan's temptation of Christ in the desert. "Teaching me how to kneel" appears to be Bono's response ... to God.

Sonic Boom
It's when Bono melds these transcendent meditations with vivid reflections on the beauty of life that U2 truly breaks the sound barrier. Similes such as, "Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" ("Miracle Drug") connect with us at the gut level—as human beings trying to make sense of life. And they function as genuine art always does: helping us to see the world with greater clarity.

Aiding that process, U2 embraces mystery and paradox instead of trying to reduce life's problems to mere manageability. Bono rightly distrusts how far romance alone can carry a relationship even as he embraces it wholeheartedly ("Miracle Drug"). He's at home singing about hardship in the context of moving forward ("One Step Closer"). And he knows that uncomfortable distance sometimes shows up in our closest relationships with others and with God ("A Man and a Woman").

"Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own," a soulful tribute to Bono's father about the importance of lifting one another's burdens, stands in sharp contrast to the angst of many bands today that dwell in isolation as a way of life. Instead of pushing us deeper into our funk, it lifts us out of our self-absorption and reminds us of our desperate need for love and camaraderie.

Wisdom From the Road Ahead
During the last three decades, U2 has grown from a small Irish "local" into an enormous global influence. Thankfully, Bono wields that influence with a powerful combination of strength and compassion. His voice conveys the wisdom of a man who is simultaneously brother and father—brother, because he walks beside us; father, because he sings as someone looking back over the years he's already traveled on the road still ahead of us. He teaches us what he's learned, and his lessons are well worth our time.

What are those lessons? Nothing less than the truth that every life matters, that our pain and disappointment (whatever they may be) don't have to cripple us. U2 understands what many voices in our culture seem to have forgotten: Beauty is precious, and hope—not despair—always has the final word.

cardosino said:

I wonder if CNN is makign a bigger deal about this than Dobson ?

I'm sure you're right. But someone has to make a big deal about it, for crying out loud. This kind of lunacy needs to have a big spotlight put on it.

strannix said:

I'm sure you're right. But someone has to make a big deal about it, for crying out loud. This kind of lunacy needs to have a big spotlight put on it.

Putting a spotlight on stuff like this might have the unintended effect of giving Dobson more legitimacy and "followers" than he might otherwise have.

As things stand it *could* actually give him *more* momentum.

You never know.

cardosino said:

Putting a spotlight on stuff like this might have the unintended effect of giving Dobson more legitimacy and "followers" than he might otherwise have.

As things stand it *could* actually give him *more* momentum.

You never know.

I'll take my chances.

strannix said:

Exactly my sentiments.

strannix said:
I'd welcome this news, but I've learned enough over the last few months to expect that someone even worse will be named his successor.
Sounds like a good job for me. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom