who owns what

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
be mindful of this: it plays on you more than you may think. no need to be afraid, but be cautious for certain.

the big ten

------------------
> > >

Originally posted by U2Bama:
yes

oh.

------------------
slowly, by our own designs, we suppressed those we became dependant upon. then there was an uproar

Originally posted by Lilly:
America = Capitolist Nation.

Why would such an obvious truth shock you?

i'm not shocked. it is troublesome that such control is so heavily concentrated.

Originally posted by kobayashi:
i'm not shocked. it is troublesome that such control is so heavily concentrated.

what's odd is that it's so easy yet not to get around them. i mean it's easy if you find the right resources. i've taken to reading newspapers from other countries---seeing what they have to say about whatever is going on over here. what's hard about that is that not everybody has the resources to do so. and even if everyone had the resources, that doesn't mean they would use it. people like being idiots and i think that a lot of people choose to be that way.*

*sorry kobe, i'm crabby right now, so my post is mean, i'll come back later when i'm not so crabby.

Originally posted by kobayashi:
be mindful of this: it plays on you more than you may think. no need to be afraid, but be cautious for certain.
the big ten
A conspirist would point to this article as being supportive of the Illuminati theory.

yes, 80's the article is a tad far fetched. my purpose was more to link to simply the ownership chart. how one does not find that troubling, unless they stand at the top of one of the conglomerates, is beyond me.
i don't believe my point is one of a conspiratory nature(having said that does any crank know they're a crank?
smile.gif

my concern is two-fold:

a precursor for a properly functioning democracy is a well oiled, impartial media. it is only one of the pre-requisites amongst many but it is necessary.

when a civilization has a media which is linked as closely as ours to industry and government and themselves(through vertical integration and synergistic strategies), a media consumer must excercise caution. one should not expect impartiality from NBC on, say, nuclear reactors(due to their direct vertical ownership by GE, who has a major controlling steak in the american reactor industry).

but it is not merely limited to nuclear reactors for GE themselves are an incredibly well diversified company. granted they are the only one among the ten who enjoy massive holdings in such varied industries.

as you said lilly, people tend to be idiots. they either don't know or don't care about this type of concentration and that is the danger.

my second point is that the overall quality of the news media is significantly reduced(prior to september 11th, in fact, many corps were reducing the amount of news content).

the end goal is to repackage the same content again and again all the way down the vertical chain. this is done in a cost cutting sense (reduces journalistic staff). this reduces the variety of voices and points of view. further cost cutting comes from an increasing reliance on wire stories.

in the early stages of these attempts it has been difficult as most companies stemming from mergers have reported losses. i believe this troublesome period is a result of having to mesh together such divergent cultures(the paper newsroom + the tv newsroom are too distinct places) and will subside with time.

imo, the media is one industry which should be under a shell concerning business interests due to thier importance in public education. having so few companies controlling what a large majority of people see and hear does not lend itself to that.

Originally posted by U2Bama:
I'm glad it's not state-owned.

i don't think state ownership is the key. we here in canada 'enjoy' state owned televisiont and it does little to further it's goal which is canadian programming.

the issue is reigning in controls on what should be a democratically imperative industry, not a commodity to be bought and sold as the sun rises and falls.

------------------
one half of the worlds population has never used a telephone

Back
Top Bottom