Who here is not a Christian? Describe your own beliefs - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2005, 12:14 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 01:57 PM
Who here is not a Christian? Describe your own beliefs

This is meant for people who are not Christian to provide accounts for their faiths or beliefs that are not Christian. I in no way, shape, or fashion, aim to keep Christians out (as I am kind of one myself). I just wish to have good discussions about other faiths - and i will not try to convert. Again, that's not what this is about.

Old 12-16-2005, 12:23 AM   #2
She's the One

Local Time: 05:57 AM
Me. But I'm only here to represent.

Maybe when I'm not so tired I'll want to say more. Or maybe not depending on things. It frequently doesn't go so well here when some of us non-Christians start talking. Makes some Christians all prickly and itchy.

Old 12-16-2005, 12:49 AM   #3
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
Me. But I'm only here to represent.

Maybe when I'm not so tired I'll want to say more. Or maybe not depending on things. It frequently doesn't go so well here when some of us non-Christians start talking. Makes some Christians all prickly and itchy.
true, that. but sometimes you can say fuck it. they're all theories in the end.
i dont know who made us, or rather have a faith which explains it. i dont really care either. whoever or whatever, i dont feel, is a necessary knowledge. i see a balance and it fascinates me. while we have these lovely sunsets and strawberries, we also have fire, hate, cruelty, impatience, theft, indifference. all we are surrounded by seems a long list of good or positive, and bad or negative. in a given year, we might bury an uncle to prostate cancer but give birth to a new baby. we will read news of a flood killing 17,000 people, but somewhere else farmers are having a crop record and life is flourishing, they're making money, there is food, business booms, market steadies, yada yada.
people seem desperate to find an answer or answers, but simply end up with a belief or faith they think is right and are comfortable with. i dont think anyone is closer than another to an answer. some people are just more comforted by what they think they make fit in their view. but i keep coming back to this balance thing at the end of the day and cant help but think we still all lead the same lives. those who have some path aren't luckier or more blessed. they bury their uncles and give birth too. they see the same sun rise and set as me and you and him and her and everyone, anyone.

i dunno. i'm not making much sense, so i'll leave it.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:50 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
It frequently doesn't go so well here when some of us non-Christians start talking. Makes some Christians all prickly and itchy.
Does it though? I mean Christianity gets bashed here a great deal also.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:12 AM   #5
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

true, that. but sometimes you can say fuck it. they're all theories in the end.
i dont know who made us, or rather have a faith which explains it. i dont really care either. whoever or whatever, i dont feel, is a necessary knowledge. i see a balance and it fascinates me. while we have these lovely sunsets and strawberries, we also have fire, hate, cruelty, impatience, theft, indifference. all we are surrounded by seems a long list of good or positive, and bad or negative. in a given year, we might bury an uncle to prostate cancer but give birth to a new baby. we will read news of a flood killing 17,000 people, but somewhere else farmers are having a crop record and life is flourishing, they're making money, there is food, business booms, market steadies, yada yada.
people seem desperate to find an answer or answers, but simply end up with a belief or faith they think is right and are comfortable with. i dont think anyone is closer than another to an answer. some people are just more comforted by what they think they make fit in their view. but i keep coming back to this balance thing at the end of the day and cant help but think we still all lead the same lives. those who have some path aren't luckier or more blessed. they bury their uncles and give birth too. they see the same sun rise and set as me and you and him and her and everyone, anyone.

i dunno. i'm not making much sense, so i'll leave it.
Balance is a prevalent thought or belief in many easter philosophies. I'm sure we're all aware of the yin and yang principle.
I think you made plenty of sense. Still, I'm not sure how it would comfort me if I lost someone in a flood if someone else was having a record year with their crops. Is this just because i'm selfish?

I think too often when beliefs are brought up in conversations bashing goes around and it does not pertain to just one group. People bash christians and christians bash other people. I'd like to see this be a non-bashing place as much as possible.
I'd like to hear more about the Celebration of Lights - i think i'm writing that correctly - from Jews in this forum; I'd like to hear more about fundamental agnosticism from folks like Irvine511 etc.
Let's really have an open dialogue.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:57 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:57 PM
Not to be the squeaky wheel here, but doesnt interference have a god forum already? These days it's pretty much filling up FYM too.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:22 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville
Not to be the squeaky wheel here, but doesnt interference have a god forum already? These days it's pretty much filling up FYM too.
Well in case you´re referring to The Goal is Soul, a year or two ago we were kicked out from there by Elvis who said that part of the forum should be about U2s faith, found in their lyrics, and any religious discussion should be in FYM.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:37 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

oh ok, good to know. That is what I was referring to.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:40 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Not a Christian, no time to waste on such frivolous pursuits.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:17 AM   #10
Refugee

Easter beliefs, oh boy i'm an idiot...Eastern...with an N...as in not wester
Quote:
Originally posted by blueyedpoet

Balance is a prevalent thought or belief in many easter philosophies. I'm sure we're all aware of the yin and yang principle.
I think you made plenty of sense. Still, I'm not sure how it would comfort me if I lost someone in a flood if someone else was having a record year with their crops. Is this just because i'm selfish?

I think too often when beliefs are brought up in conversations bashing goes around and it does not pertain to just one group. People bash christians and christians bash other people. I'd like to see this be a non-bashing place as much as possible.
I'd like to hear more about the Celebration of Lights - i think i'm writing that correctly - from Jews in this forum; I'd like to hear more about fundamental agnosticism from folks like Irvine511 etc.
Let's really have an open dialogue.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:18 AM   #11
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Not a Christian, no time to waste on such frivolous pursuits.
Why is being a Christian a frivolous pursuit? What is a worthwhile pursuit?
Old 12-16-2005, 06:06 AM   #12
The Fly

Im not a Christian but recently for the first time I have been seriously starting to question my faith.

I do believe that there is a God, I don't buy the belief about the "big bang" where we just happened to appear out of nowhere.
Something must happen to us when we die too, I refuse to believe we just "disappear".

So what do I believe?
Well I believe theres some kind of higher being (God) that created us all, and when we do something wrong theres a reason why we feel that we have done wrong inside.
After that, Im not too sure what to believe really...
I'll more than likely find myself following some religion eventually, its just a matter of what to believe really.
From my (very) limited knowledge of religion, Christianity probably makes the most sense to me though.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:24 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

I often wonder if people really understand what the big bang theory is, the evidence to support it and the competing theories about the origins of the universe. I often find the dismissive nature towards the explaination for the cosmic microwave background radiation and the Hubble red shift. It also happens with peoples understanding of evolution - and it goes for people who claim to believe in them but just don't understand it particularly well, or the nature of what a scientific theory is. Maybe we should teach children more of the classics in terms of logic and philosophy from a young age, I certainly found it useful.

There seems to be a lot of anti-reason attitudes in the world coming from a lot of different sources, if it isn't religious minded creationists doing damage to the shaping of young minds then it is green groups spreading lies and fearmongering over technologies in a most reactionary manner that does not seek to foster dialogue or understanding.

I feel that religious observance would be a waste of my time, I have no interest in practicing faith and can better spend that time on other projects.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:25 AM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by hedgehog
Im not a Christian but recently for the first time I have been seriously starting to question my faith.

I do believe that there is a God, I don't buy the belief about the "big bang" where we just happened to appear out of nowhere.
Something must happen to us when we die too, I refuse to believe we just "disappear".

So what do I believe?
Well I believe theres some kind of higher being (God) that created us all, and when we do something wrong theres a reason why we feel that we have done wrong inside.
After that, Im not too sure what to believe really...
I'll more than likely find myself following some religion eventually, its just a matter of what to believe really.
From my (very) limited knowledge of religion, Christianity probably makes the most sense to me though.
To quote Buddha: Let every man be a lamp unto his own feet.
Or, as Paul said, "Let every man work out their own salvation."
And, then there's Jesus who said, "Seek and ye shall find."
I do have one question, why does a belief in the big bang necessitate a lack of a belief in God? Why is the big bang exclusive from the notion of God?
Old 12-16-2005, 06:36 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy.

I think, guys, my mask of sanity might be about to slip.