Who here is not a Christian? Describe your own beliefs - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2005, 06:38 AM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 11:33 AM
Well, the way I see it, its not so much that the big bang didn't happen (who knows if it did?) but if there was a big bang that created everything, then where did the big bang itself come from? And how/ why did it some how create life?
It's all very confusing to me really, but I believe that there is a creator behind everything.

Like I said, I believe in some higher being, Im just uncertain as to which religion I should follow at this moment in time.
Its been on my mind for a while, changed the way I behave a little bit in some respects too for some odd reason (i.e. Im not so loud mouthed as I usually am, how I do things and talk to people, opinions on various matters etc...).

Old 12-16-2005, 06:40 AM   #17
Refugee

do you feel overwhelmed by your search or do you find joy in seeking truth?
i feel a little bit of both...i got back and forth

Old 12-16-2005, 06:49 AM   #18
The Fly

It's hard to say really, a lot of mixed feeling towards the various religious beliefs, various religions itself I haven't looked into (only Christianity, which I have looked into recently, on various subjects such as sin, way of life, purpose, Heaven, Hell, Satan, God, Jesus Christ, Salvation, etc...).

It's hard to say what has made me suddenly decide to question my faith and the truth behind things in life but somehow I just feel the need to seek more answers.
The uncertainty of not knowing what to believe in makes me feel uncomfortable.
I'll probably feel more comfortable and better about myself when I finally make a decision I feel is right on what/ who to believe in.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:58 AM   #19
Refugee

I wonder how many here feel that they've ever reached a final decision as to what they believe. As a philosophy major I'm always reading papers, essays, articles, books etc. written from some men (few women, sadly) who were absolutly convinced that they were right. Pre-Socrates, one philosopher articulated that everything is comprised of just water. Aristotle has time and time again been shown to be completely wrong. Perhaps this is why I enjoy reading the writings of Russell. He changed his mind over and over again.
Hedgehog, perhaps you ought to deepen your search and look at taoism, Confucianism, Islam, Judaism, materialism, deism...there's so much out there. Of course, sometimes the more you know the less you know. The more i learn the more questions and uncertainty i gain.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:49 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
if it isn't religious minded creationists doing damage to the shaping of young minds then it is green groups spreading lies and fearmongering over technologies in a most reactionary manner that does not seek to foster dialogue or understanding.
Bullshit. I can only speak for European Green groups that are informed about the latest technological developments. Take the energy sector. Alternative energy like water power plants, wind etc. make up a bigger and bigger percentage of the energy we use here. That´s a positive development (if you´re not working for Shell). Green groups push for the 2.5-litre-car or other forms of transportation that are developed and ready to go and not that bad for environment. Other lobbies block that, the oil industry has nothing against blowing out 10 or 20 litres /mile.

I think you just did not take a proper look at their programs?

That said, no more derailing.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:00 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by blueyedpoet
I do have one question, why does a belief in the big bang necessitate a lack of a belief in God?
Why is the big bang exclusive from the notion of God?
It isn´t at all. I am a Catholic and believe in the Big Bang.

I also believe the Bang didn´t just appear out of the blue. in creation, you see a certain development. To those who say that´s all "natural" development without a "higher plan", I counterargue that development has been so orchestrated: it is near to impossible that all the universe is just a big chaos.

Suns and planets were created because masses of atoms clashed against each other and slowly gravity emerged.

There are interesting papers about that.. a particularly interesting chapter would be the one about Macrocosmos and Microcosmos in the book "Nada Brahma - The World Is Sound" by Joachim Ernst-Berendt.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:37 AM   #22
The Fly

Quote:
Hedgehog, perhaps you ought to deepen your search and look at taoism, Confucianism, Islam, Judaism, materialism, deism...there's so much out there. Of course, sometimes the more you know the less you know. The more i learn the more questions and uncertainty i gain.
As you say, too much knowledge about other religions can cause a bit of a headache and cause more doubt, but learning a little about each religion could prove helpful.
The uncertainty of religion (the fear of "getting it wrong") scares me though, I just have to go with gut feelings as to what I believe is right eventually I guess.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:14 AM   #23
She's the One

Local Time: 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Does it though? I mean Christianity gets bashed here a great deal also.
Yeah, but the fun starts when the Laws of Karma are discussed with some attempt at seriousness.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:22 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Yeah, but the fun starts when the Laws of Karma are discussed with some attempt at seriousness.
I don't think I have it in me this time around...(although as I recall, that's what I said last time, too, lol).
Old 12-16-2005, 01:51 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:33 AM
i'll be back soon to talk about fundamental agnosticism ... work prevents me from doing more than cursory posts right now.

though i'd be ever so much more fun than what i'm currently doing.

Old 12-16-2005, 02:28 PM   #26
The Fly

I believe in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster!

http://www.venganza.org/
Old 12-16-2005, 02:31 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

"I'd like to start a new religion called Frisbetarianism. Frisbetarians believe that when you die your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down." ~ Bono
Old 12-16-2005, 04:32 PM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

in all seriousness, or some form of seriousness, what are your problems with Karma? Or, am i missing something that happened in some previous forum?
Old 12-16-2005, 04:57 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by hedgehog
Well, the way I see it, its not so much that the big bang didn't happen (who knows if it did?) but if there was a big bang that created everything, then where did the big bang itself come from? And how/ why did it some how create life?
It's all very confusing to me really, but I believe that there is a creator behind everything.

One of the many reasons why I love Calvinism (true Calvinism mind you, not the TULIP/predestined vs. damned bullshit) is that from a Calvinist point of view, even the Genesis creation story itself supports evolution.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:11 PM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 04:33 AM
Quote: