Who Here is a Christian? bLinD fAiTh rEbeLs :) - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2006, 09:10 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:27 PM
Who Here is a Christian? bLinD fAiTh rEbeLs :)

I've search all over this world
and that rebel from Nazareth shines truth!

That is what I believe.

*simple faith*

Old 01-01-2006, 09:39 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:27 PM
I don't believe in blind faith...

Old 01-01-2006, 10:14 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

If I had to sumarize my entire faith in just a few statements....

Quote:
Question 1. What is thy only comfort in life and death?

Answer: That I with body and soul, both in life and death, (a) am not my own, (b) but belong unto my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ; (c) who, with his precious blood, has fully satisfied for all my sins, (d) and delivered me from all the power of the devil; (e) and so preserves me (f) that without the will of my heavenly Father, not a hair can fall from my head; (g) yea, that all things must be subservient to my salvation, (h) and therefore, by his Holy Spirit, He also assures me of eternal life, (i) and makes me sincerely willing and ready, henceforth, to live unto him. (j)
I've spent the last few years studying religion and Scripture, trying to be skeptical and cynical, but I've found nothing that disproves the existence of a God. I feel (not just think, but feel), that there are certain things in life and in creation that logic and science cannot acocunt for. And since logic and science are human methods, obviously they could never be useful tools for proving the existence of or describing the nature of a God. What's left then? Blind faith.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:38 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:27 PM
well some would argue that to have any faith at all is to promote "blindness".

that's why it's called faith in the first place.

but there's a whole other avenue to this that i really don't want to get into now.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:51 PM   #5
The Fly

I don't believe in Christianity, but in God. It's just a religion between a lot of others anyway, with its rituals and ceremonies, particular added beliefs to make it supposly different from the others. Why being limited in one view of the world ? Change glasses and you'll see the world is as beautiful, and you'll maybe discover new colors things you never thought existed
Old 01-02-2006, 12:48 AM   #6
New Yorker

Interesting thought. Blind faith is something I don’t understand and honestly something if I could choose I’d want more of. I’m at a weird place right now with faith, I know I believe something but I’m still working out the details and what it means in my life I wrote about it in another thread in the goal is soul. Right now what I hold onto is a quote I read awhile back by Thomas Morton, “if you find God with great ease, perhaps it is not God that you have found”. I sure as heck have not found it easy to have even the small amount of faith that I have, but I have a think that there is something to come of this struggle. I’ve had a friend look at me like I had two heads once when I tried to ask her real questions about her faith, questions like are you sure you really believe in God, how do you know your not just on auto pilot from your childhood, what difference does it make in your life. I never want to be like that, I want to make sure that if I say I believe in this crazy faith that I really do, and if I don’t that I say so and, where I have questions I’m honest about them. Ok so I guess I take back wanting to be able to have blind faith, but I would like to be able to have secure complete faith in God.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:32 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:27 AM
Wow another 'who here is a christian' thread. I think we have another one still active.

I'm uncle willie.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:27 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:27 PM
Uncle Willie is a muslim.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:01 AM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by vervex
I don't believe in Christianity, but in God. It's just a religion between a lot of others anyway, with its rituals and ceremonies, particular added beliefs to make it supposly different from the others. Why being limited in one view of the world ? Change glasses and you'll see the world is as beautiful, and you'll maybe discover new colors things you never thought existed
That was beautiful and very well said.

Thank you.

btw - I'm Jewish......lol.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:31 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Blind Faith, as I have always believed, is when someone just claims they are of a certain belief or religion because their environment, either inadvertantly or deliberately forces (or brainwashes) certain ideas into them.

Like, for instance, if you are brought up in a fundamentalist Catholic or fundamentalist Man Utd FC supporting surroundings (eg. all your family is hardcore and one-eyed about a particular religion or organisation or belief), it would almost be impossible for some believers or followers to objectively consider any of the other faiths or clubs.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:33 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Blind Faith, as I have always believed, is when someone just claims they are of a certain belief or religion because their environment, either inadvertantly or deliberately forces (or brainwashes) certain ideas into them.

Like, for instance, if you are brought up in a fundamentalist Catholic or fundamentalist Man Utd FC supporting surroundings (eg. all your family is hardcore and one-eyed about a particular religion or organisation or belief), it would almost be impossible for some believers or followers to objectively consider any of the other faiths or clubs.

It can often lead to prejudice and bigotry....

This is just how I have viewed Blind Faith
Old 01-02-2006, 12:36 PM   #12
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBono

That was beautiful and very well said.

Thank you.

btw - I'm Jewish......lol.
Oh thanks That's just what I think Glad you agree with me :P
Old 01-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #13
The Fly

Local Time: 10:27 PM
I can't accept that science can explain the people I love. I can't boil them down to simple chemicals. I believe that is one place where I can find God.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:29 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine

It can often lead to prejudice and bigotry....

This is just how I have viewed Blind Faith

So you define blind faith as only when people take on the same faith they grew up in? How would you describe the faith of a nontheist that converts to Christianity? or any other type of convert, like a Buddhist or Muslim?

I don't see how one can be ANY type of Christian...or really belong to any religion believing in a god...without some element of blind faith.

I disagree w/ your interpretation b/c it sounds like you're defining someone blinding belonging to a certain religion or religious denomination, not the individual faith that person holds. Yes, you can definitely "blindly" belong to a certain group, like a lot of my peers will say they are Calvinist Christian Reformed without a true understanding of what that really means, but that's not faith, that's ignorance. Blind faith is believing in a god without any expectation of what humans generally accept as "proof".
Old 01-03-2006, 01:53 AM   #15
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

So you define blind faith as only when people take on the same faith they grew up in? How would you describe the faith of a nontheist that converts to Christianity? or any other type of convert, like a Buddhist or Muslim?

I don't see how one can be ANY type of Christian...or really belong to any religion believing in a god...without some element of blind faith.

I disagree w/ your interpretation b/c it sounds like you're defining someone blinding belonging to a certain religion or religious denomination, not the individual faith that person holds. Yes, you can definitely "blindly" belong to a certain group, like a lot of my peers will say they are Calvinist Christian Reformed without a true understanding of what that really means, but that's not faith, that's ignorance. Blind faith is believing in a god without any expectation of what humans generally accept as "proof".

I agree with you. Someone people simply change religions, that can happen. But intedomine is right when talking about being born and introduced by the parents to a certain religion. Before you have the age to say a complete sentence, you're already baptised and are taught what the religion of your parents is, and you are told it's the right one, to believe in it. It happened to me. My parents weren't religious that much but I had at school religion courses, in the 90s. I've also met a girl. She's what we call here in french "témoin de jéhova". I don't know the translation, excuse me... But she is sure Adam and Eve walked on earth, disregard evolution principles and celebrations like Christmas and her own birthday because they're pagan. Here I'm not criticizing her, but just showing a fact : she was born and educated like that. She had never known nor explored any other religion, and since her parents and maybe family always told her it was true, with or without arguments, she believes blindly in them. Eve met a snake and bit in the apple with Adam. Even that metaphorical story she believes in. That's that I think is sad about blind faith sometimes... Some people are still trapped in total ignorance.

But faith, like you said LivLuv, can be gained later. I embrace Oriental religions more than occidental ones now that I'm older. And I'm glad I have this intellectualy curiosity, or, like I said in a previous post, I'd miss a lot of things