Who Here is a Christian? bLinD fAiTh rEbeLs :) - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2006, 08:32 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
If I had to sumarize my entire faith in just a few statements....

Quote:
Question 1. What is thy only comfort in life and death?

Answer: That I with body and soul, both in life and death, (a) am not my own, (b) but belong unto my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ; (c) who, with his precious blood, has fully satisfied for all my sins, (d) and delivered me from all the power of the devil; (e) and so preserves me (f) that without the will of my heavenly Father, not a hair can fall from my head; (g) yea, that all things must be subservient to my salvation, (h) and therefore, by his Holy Spirit, He also assures me of eternal life, (i) and makes me sincerely willing and ready, henceforth, to live unto him. (j)

If it's no too personal.....

could you tell me what that means to you? I suppose I am most curious about how you interpret those words.

Old 01-03-2006, 09:14 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 11:16 PM
I believe that because something (in this case the existence of God) is unfalsifiable (cannot be proven false) doesn't mean it's TRUE, I think some people really should understand this. It's like saying 'prove ur not massaging a monkeys balls in front of u now.' 'Umm..how?! There's nothing there!' 'But you can't PROVE your not doing it! Pervert!'
So trying to approve of something of which their is no evidence disproving or working in favour of the act is indeed futile. And it doesn't automatically render the subject in question true obviously, which some people's logic seems to default to in this case.

Old 01-03-2006, 09:18 AM   #18
Refugee

Ok I briefly read the thread, we're talking about 'blind faith,' something I will never be able to comprehend as I guess reason doesn't come into it. (which '''''GOD'''''' supposedly gave to us, but some people don't utilize effectively)
Old 01-03-2006, 09:40 AM   #19
The Fly

Local Time: 12:46 PM
Iìm a Roman Catholic from Italy (now THAT's coherence! [I'm joking okay?]).
I wish to share a thought: when I've been to Africa lately I found out how just in our cities and with our technologies we can say that God doesn't exist or anything...if you go out, if you reallly go out in the wildest Nature, you can feel a strenght in Nature, something bigger than you that you cannot explain...
I something think that cities are temple (or castle) made to protect ourselves from what we don't understand...but we at the end shouldn't be scared at all, we belong to the force of Creation,
whatever name you call It...
I call it God,
I call it Jesus,
and I thank Christ for renewing the Alliance between God and us.

Ciao,
Tom
Old 01-03-2006, 09:46 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by tommyvill
Iìm a Roman Catholic from Italy (now THAT's coherence! [I'm joking okay?]).
I wish to share a thought: when I've been to Africa lately I found out how just in our cities and with our technologies we can say that God doesn't exist or anything...if you go out, if you reallly go out in the wildest Nature, you can feel a strenght in Nature, something bigger than you that you cannot explain...
I something think that cities are temple (or castle) made to protect ourselves from what we don't understand...but we at the end shouldn't be scared at all, we belong to the force of Creation,
whatever name you call It...
I call it God,
I call it Jesus,
and I thank Christ for renewing the Alliance between God and us.

Ciao,
Tom
I completely agree. Like I said in another thread recently, when I was in Africa, swimming in Lake Victoria was by far the farthest from my own "reality" I've ever felt, and the closest to God.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:48 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AussieU2fanman
I believe that because something (in this case the existence of God) is unfalsifiable (cannot be proven false) doesn't mean it's TRUE, I think some people really should understand this. It's like saying 'prove ur not massaging a monkeys balls in front of u now.' 'Umm..how?! There's nothing there!' 'But you can't PROVE your not doing it! Pervert!'
So trying to approve of something of which their is no evidence disproving or working in favour of the act is indeed futile. And it doesn't automatically render the subject in question true obviously, which some people's logic seems to default to in this case.
I think the problem with this logic, or "login" in general, is that it's an entirely human process. Regardless of whether or not God does exist, if He did, do you really think that humans would have the smarts to prove it based on merely human thought processes? I hope not!
Old 01-03-2006, 09:59 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by For Honor

If it's no too personal.....

could you tell me what that means to you? I suppose I am most curious about how you interpret those words.
Pretty much exactly what it says. Christianity to me = belief in God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit; the only way to God is through His Grace (not our own choice or actions). Of course, my own personal theology is a LOT more specific, but I offered the Heidelberg Cat. Q&A1 as a very simple summary of how I would describe Christianity to a non-Christian. It's not too personal, ask more if you need clarification...
Old 01-03-2006, 10:31 AM   #23
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

I think the problem with this logic, or "login" in general, is that it's an entirely human process. Regardless of whether or not God does exist, if He did, do you really think that humans would have the smarts to prove it based on merely human thought processes? I hope not!
Is 'login' a typo? You wrote it perfectly 2 words before, and 'n' is nowhere near 'c' to be typo-worthy.
But yeh that's why I said in the next post it comes to blind faith, usually ignited by tempoary sources of inspiration (ur African experiences etc. etc.) which you interperate as some divine enlightening from 'GOD'. I can understand the types of feelings you're trying to convey with these situations, I've experienced these types of feelings before, but I isolate them to simple (well, extremely complex) neuromatics.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:55 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AussieU2fanman

Is 'login' a typo? You wrote it perfectly 2 words before, and 'n' is nowhere near 'c' to be typo-worthy.
But yeh that's why I said in the next post it comes to blind faith, usually ignited by tempoary sources of inspiration (ur African experiences etc. etc.) which you interperate as some divine enlightening from 'GOD'. I can understand the types of feelings you're trying to convey with these situations, I've experienced these types of feelings before, but I isolate them to simple (well, extremely complex) neuromatics.
Thanks, yes, I type the word "login" probably 100 times a day at work but I meant "logic". I need more than 3.5 hrs of sleep before a 9 hr work day.

I don't think you can examine "blind faith" outside of the context of the existence of God. Or rather, it doesn't really make sense to debate the existence of God in the context of blind faith (to me at least). I don't think the original poster's intention was to debate whether not a God exists. I guess my example (Africa) is confusing b/c I didn't mean that as an example of blind faith. I don't think you really can have examples of blind faith, b/c for it to really be "faith" and completely "blind", it's totally up to the individual and isn't based on any feelings or proof of God's existence.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:08 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:46 AM
"Blind Faith" can essentially mean two different things:

For a believer, the meaning is captured by Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Faith, by definition, is "blind".

The word can also be used as a slur to dismiss the faith of the believer.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:12 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by tommyvill
There is a lot to your statement here. It is my impression that there are churches in Africa that are much stronger that those in the United States - to the point that the African churches speak of sending missionaries to the US.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:04 PM   #27
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
"Blind Faith" can essentially mean two different things:

For a believer, the meaning is captured by Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Faith, by definition, is "blind".

The word can also be used as a slur to dismiss the faith of the believer.
To me the difference between faith and blind faith is the means to which we get there.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:40 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

how is it rebellious to be a christian?

it's easily the world's most successful religion, and richest, and with the enticing promise of eternal life, it seems like an offer one can't refuse, and in the west, particularly in the US, Christians are the most protected, powerful, politically and culturally influential group of believers ever in the history of the world.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:55 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
how is it rebellious to be a christian?

it's easily the world's most successful religion, and richest, and with the enticing promise of eternal life, it seems like an offer one can't refuse, and in the west, particularly in the US, Christians are the most protected, powerful, politically and culturally influential group of believers ever in the history of the world.
Jesus' teaching was radical at its time as it is today. The simple act of speaking to a Samaritan women blew away all the social norms of the day.

Today, the whole concept of of Grace goes against all of our worldly teachings (we want to earn it!!). A God centered life is not sold to us by the world.

I'm not sure your stereotype of the Christian life holds true as well - otherwise who wouldn't be a Christian?
Old 01-03-2006, 08:12 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Jesus' teaching was radical at its time as it is today. The simple act of speaking to a Samaritan women blew away all the social norms of the day.
And, yet, most of His current followers have progressed little since then, due to their literal, essentialist fervor.

Quote:
Today, the whole concept of of Grace goes against all of our worldly teachings (we want to earn it!!). A God centered life is not sold to us by the world.
The concept of grace owes most of its origins to St. Paul than Jesus. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Melon