Who do you fear? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2002, 04:41 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 10:34 AM
Who do you fear?

If you're sitting at your desk in, say, Texas, Toronto, Melbourne..and you're getting concerned about the Iraqi situation, what and who are you fearful of?

We are being asked to recognise the danger that Saddam poses to the world, but realistically I don't think many of us actually think that he is capable of wiping out large swathes of the 'West'.

If it came down to a wider conflict and I mean a global conflict, who do you fear? Is there anybody to fear? China..Russia..are these the only countries capable of mass, and I mean mass destruction? Do economic ties mean this will never happen ? Who would fight a World War..

Old 09-05-2002, 12:26 PM   #2
Banned

Local Time: 05:34 AM
I fear that if USA will attack iraq , Sadam hussein has enough powers in his hands to strike or nuke America , + the result if USA attack on Iraq will be that All Muslim countries will hate them ( united States ) and probably will strike too .

Old 09-05-2002, 03:21 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:34 AM
Normal the only thing to fear is nuclear bombs themselves

i fear that we will accept attacking other countries with no evidence and doubts from our closest allies as normal. i fear that when i go to bed i will wake up in a war not dissimilar to vietnam.

there is so much uncertanty here, that i think it's fair of me to say that i am not sure exactly what i fear.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:50 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 05:34 AM
I would likely say the Chinese. It's true that they have precious little air force and navy, but the shear size of their military could wipe out any opposing force.
Old 09-05-2002, 04:13 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:04 AM
Greenland

nobody knows what the hell they're doing over there. I've never even seen any envidence to indicate life exists there!! BUt there are thousands of people there...they never make the news...

it's quite...

almost....TOO QUITE...

my theory is that they have been building up a massive arsenal of weaponary and a huge army of clones

FEAR THE INVASION OF GREENLAND!
Old 09-05-2002, 04:20 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:34 AM
I dont know if I so much FEAR anyone, I just hope that nothing happens bc the way i see it is that if i fear them then they have gotten what they wanted all along!
Old 09-05-2002, 11:51 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:34 AM
i love spelasdfsdfasdfdsasdling

Quote:
Originally posted by Basstrap
it's quite...

almost....TOO QUITE...

too quite quIEt?
Old 09-06-2002, 12:34 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:04 AM
Re: i love spelasdfsdfasdfdsasdling

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilly

too quite quIEt?
*bashes head with lamps*
I'm an idiot
Old 09-06-2002, 05:57 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:34 PM
Re: the only thing to fear is nuclear bombs themselves

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilly
i fear that we will accept attacking other countries with no evidence and doubts from our closest allies as normal. i fear that when i go to bed i will wake up in a war not dissimilar to vietnam.

there is so much uncertanty here, that i think it's fair of me to say that i am not sure exactly what i fear.

have no fear for atomic energy

cause none of them can stop the time
Old 09-07-2002, 04:15 PM   #10
Refugee

I fear Bush.

And since Wednesday, I fear Blair.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 09-07-2002, 07:52 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:34 PM
when America wants Australia's opinion...

they'll give it to us!!!
The four-letter "F' word
As a mother I live with it daily.

We're in this together. Whatever the outcome of the current political/economic/military situation, I think social justice and proper use and protection of the planet's natural resource is tantamount to our combined successful future. Small blue planet, spaceship earth.
I know you wanted specifics....I find John Howard and Peter Costello rather scary. I'm not sure what window they are looking out from, but our world views are quite different.On behalf of our nation, I apologise for David Kemp.

UNLESS
Old 09-07-2002, 09:22 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Countries to fear are those whose' behavior plus Weapons of Mass destruction make them threats to the rest of us. Countries like Iraq, then North Korea, Iran, and Syria are the dangerous countries today.

The Soviet Union is no more, and Russia military strength is a tiny fraction of the Soviet Unions. While Russia has failed to develop economically it is still trying, and it is still a semi-democracy after 10 years. Russia's severly weakened state, their adoption of western economic and political practices, and their desire for closer cooperation and trade with the west combine to make them no longer a threat like the Soviet Union was.

China's military continue's to be reduced. They now have less than 2.4 million in their total armed forces. China is surrounded by relatively strong military powers like, India, Russia, Pakistan, Vietnam, and North and South Korea. The Chinese military in technology is 30 years behind the west. China's most likely threat is to Tawain, and it is unlikely that China would ever attack, because Tawain actually could defeat a Chinese attack without foriegn assistance. China's navy is tiny, and the number of vessels that China has to sea-lift troops is tiny as well, at tops about 10,000. China could also airlift maybe another 5,000 troops to attack Tawain, but so what. Tawain has a standing army of over 150,000 and nearly 500,000 when reserves are called up. China's total deployable force to Tawain only numbers 15 to 20 thousand.

China's economic ties are also a reason they would not invade Tawain. They have strong economic ties with Tawain as well as the rest of the world. China does not want to forgo the hundreds of billions of dollars that international trade brings to their country every year. It is surrounded by militarily strong neighbors. So even if China has expansionist fantasy's, they are contained.

So the bad boys on the block are Iraq, North Korea, Syria and Iran. They may not be capable of a massive nuclear attack on the USA, but they still have capability to cause mass destruction both human and economic due to their resources, possible ties to terrorist, and their proximity to important Global resources like oil, and proximity to other places of economic value.
Old 09-08-2002, 06:41 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
So the bad boys on the block are Iraq, North Korea, Syria and Iran. They may not be capable of a massive nuclear attack on the USA, but they still have capability to cause mass destruction both human and economic due to their resources, possible ties to terrorist, and their proximity to important Global resources like oil, and proximity to other places of economic value.
Leaving aside the discussion of whether the states you named have the capacity to attack other nations, what makes you label them as a threat? What has North Korea done to indicate it wishes to attack America for example? And are Iran and Syria classed as threats simply because of their location?

Also - do you think that if a state has the ability to harm the American economy through denying America access to resources such as oil, that gives America the right to take military action against that state?
Old 09-08-2002, 06:48 AM   #14
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Basstrap
Greenland

nobody knows what the hell they're doing over there. I've never even seen any envidence to indicate life exists there!! BUt there are thousands of people there...they never make the news...

it's quite...

almost....TOO QUITE...

my theory is that they have been building up a massive arsenal of weaponary and a huge army of clones

FEAR THE INVASION OF GREENLAND!
better blow them up just in case...
Old 09-08-2002, 09:13 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:34 AM

Ppl with the power to start a war and with nuclear weapons scare me and ppl who are readily willing to kill innocent people