Who "discovred America"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zonelistener

ONE love, blood, life
Okay - after the "Indians"

There is a new book called "1421" that I am interested in reading. It alleges that the Chinese "discovered" America in 1421. The popular belief is Columbus - but there are many beliefs and numerous studies that point to just about EVERY culture "discovering America" (Leif and the Vikings, a Polish explorer, etc. etc. etc.).

Any opinions - or people who have read this book?

"discovered" is a tricky sense, seeing as it was never in fact discovered, because people lived here before europeans settled it.

leif erikson came before 1421, right?

also, i know that the gaels came over pre-1100, but left right away. so...yeah, whatever the chinese are claiming now is a moot point.

There is some evidence that the Vikings did, and that seems to be the earliest set of evidence. Considering the Vikings made it to Iceland and Greenland, it makes sense that, perhaps, they went a little bit further and hit Canada--hence discovering the New World.

Melon

melon said:
There is some evidence that the Vikings did, and that seems to be the earliest set of evidence. Considering the Vikings made it to Iceland and Greenland, it makes sense that, perhaps, they went a little bit further and hit Canada--hence discovering the New World.

Melon

I heard about that! It was in about the 1100's. There was a stone dug up by a plowing farmer in the 1880's. It had Norweigen writing on it.

i believe there were a few europeans who crossed over in the late 1800's if i remember correctly. some may still be alive to ask, though not many if that slim count may be capable of recalling.

but nevertheless, ask them. :up:

melon said:

Melon

Leif Ericsson landed here, turned around, and left... his brother was the first European to meet (and get killed by) native americans.
I believe there's ruins of a scandinavian colony in Canada.

I wrote a paper about this once but I lost it... crap. :scream:

Back
Top Bottom