Who are you planning on voting for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: Is Edwards phony?

diamond said:

Excellent post, thanks for another example of what I was referring to.

Some folks here misinterpreted my criticizing Edwards (in another thread) trying to exploit his wife's illness for votes.

I don't have anything against Mrs Edwards at all. My mom died on Cancer when I was 2 and half years old.
I think she is unwittingly being exploited for polictical purposes.

After she passes, perhaps that would be Edwads' time to run.

The country needs a healthy President and at least a First Lady with a good or decent bill of health.

Family first is my view.

I think Edwards will do just about anything to seek public office-which is sad.

dbs

I think that John Edward's decision to run for President came while dealing with loss. He lost his 16 year old son in 1996 - before he was a politician. I totally agree with you that family is first - and maybe this is the way the Edwards family needs to go to put their family first.

http://www.johnedwards.com/about/john/

http://www.wade.org/AboutWade.htm

Anyhow, I think John is pretty genuine in his journey and there are a lot of people that get places through being inspired while dealing with the loss of a loved one.

I think it really stinks that Elizabeth Edwards has incurable cancer and will have a known shortened life. This could be a few years down the road and with some luck maybe even longer. I don't think it is right for us to expect them to go away and wait until the end and I admire their desire to live with the cancer instead of letting the cancer rule their lives.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Is Edwards phony?

BostonAnne said:

Edwards has incurable cancer and will have a known shortened life. This could be a few years down the road and with some luck maybe even longer. I don't think it is right for us to expect them to go away and wait until the end and I admire their desire to live with the cancer instead of letting the cancer rule their lives.

Well nobody wants Edwards to simply "go away", and yes it stinks his wife is sick.

We only differ in how one is to live with an incurable illness.

And yes Edwards has a "right" to run, but I don't think it's the wisest choices he's made based on the polling data and his placing in these polls-most Democrats would agree.

dbs

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is Edwards phony?

diamond said:

The country needs a healthy President and at least a First Lady with a good or decent bill of health.

I felt that you were implying that they should go away because you don't think that is how they should live with an incurable illness.

MrsSpringsteen said:

How Mrs. Edwards lives with her illness is no one's right to determine but hers

No kidding.

Who cares if you "differ" on how to live with an incurable disease? You're not the one living with it; she is.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Does mental health count?

How Mrs. Edwards lives with her illness is no one's right to determine but hers-same applies to Mrs. Romney.

But some people know better. They're fine telling complete strangers how to live. They just know better that the people who actually have the problem.

martha said:

They're fine telling complete strangers how to live..

Actually his constituents are by his polling numbers.

He will figure it out sooner or later and hopefully some of you will here too.

dbs

Cancer is not a political issue, and to make it one is pathetic. I don't know anything about these alleged polls, never heard of it. But my hunch is that most people who lean the way John Edwards does politically are not into judging how she lives with her cancer.

John Edwards has already "figured it out" when it comes to issues involving his wife-and that's why they have such a good marriage.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Cancer is not a political issue, and to make it one is pathetic.
John Edwards has already "figured it out" when it comes to

issues involving his wife-and that's why they have such a good marriage.

I didn't say it was, only an electability issue.
You're attempting to make it polictical.
I'm glad they have a great marriage.
Please quit trying to misconstrue my words and thoughts on the subject.

Here are Edwards' numbers in the Democratic field, in case you've haven't had a chance to view them.

Average 08/06 to 08/22

37.8 Clinton
22.2 Obama
11.7 Edwards
3.7 Richardson
12.8 *Gore

Clinton has a +15.6 lead over all contenders.

*Note Gore who isn't even in the race is polling higher than Edwards.

dbs

Re: Re: Re: Is Edwards phony?

diamond said:

Excellent post, thanks for another example of what I was referring to.

Some folks here misinterpreted my criticizing Edwards (in another thread) trying to exploit his wife's illness for votes.

I don't have anything against Mrs Edwards at all. My mom died on Cancer when I was 2 and half years old.
I think she is unwittingly being exploited for polictical purposes.

Family first is my view.

I think Edwards will do just about anything to seek public office-which is sad.

dbs

No offense diamond, but your original post had nothing to do with his popularity in the polls. You brought that in later - which is why this is getting so confusing. There is nothing in this post that says Edwards should give it up because he isn't popular in the polls.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Is Edwards phony?

BostonAnne said:

No offense diamond, but your original post had nothing to do with his popularity in the polls. You brought that in later - which is why this is getting so confusing. There is nothing in this post that says Edwards should give it up because he isn't popular in the polls.

Good point, so let me clarify, in my view it's an ominous sign based on the polling data, that he should not be running and it's suspect that is using his wife's illness for polictical purposes.

Are we clear?

dbs

diamond said:
ok then.
Regardless hoping we're still friends.

:)

dbs

of course!

I do hope you reconsider the character of John Edwards though. Whether or not he's right for the presidency, I think he's a genuine guy - not a shady guy. It's for John Edwards and his family to decide what is best for them while being forced to accept Elizabeth's cancer.

BostonAnne said:

of course!

I do hope you reconsider the character of John Edwards though. Whether or not he's right for the presidency, I think he's a genuine guy - not a shady guy. It's for John Edwards and his family to decide what is best for them while being forced to accept Elizabeth's cancer.

I think he and Obama are both neat guys.

And I don't know how Edwards has been able to cope the way he has with all the tragedy in his life.

I do feel he will have his time, but it isn't now-that's where we differ is all.

I've voted in the last 8 presidentail elections and expect to see Edwards in 2012.

dbs

diamond said:

I think he and Obama are both neat guys.

And I don't know how Edwards has been able to cope the way he has with all the tragedy in his life.

I do feel he will have his time, but it isn't now-that's where we differ is all.

I've voted in the last 8 presidentail elections and expect to see Edwards in 2012.

dbs

Well, you had me fooled. I thought you were saying that you thought Edwards wasn't a neat guy at all. :shrug:

All of my arguments were to his character and his right to run and not be judged for it, not whether this was the right time or whether he would win. I actually do agree with you and think that HRC or Obama will become the democratic nominee. But hey, who knows what can happen and maybe we'll be surprised.

diamond said:

dbs

you voted when you were 14?

or are
presidentail elections
something different

presiden tail? Monica L vs. Marilyn M?

diamond said:

I didn't say it was, only an electability issue.
You're attempting to make it polictical.
I'm glad they have a great marriage.
Please quit trying to misconstrue my words and thoughts on the subject.

Here are Edwards' numbers in the Democratic field, in case you've haven't had a chance to view them.

Average 08/06 to 08/22

37.8 Clinton
22.2 Obama
11.7 Edwards
3.7 Richardson
12.8 *Gore

Clinton has a +15.6 lead over all contenders.

*Note Gore who isn't even in the race is polling higher than Edwards.

dbs

I'm not misconstruing anything-you have done it since she announced her recurrence. If you want to insist otherwise, go right ahead :shrug: I guess Rudy should be disqualified too, and Fred Thompson and John McCain-their cancer might come back some day, God forbid.

:hug: agendas :hug:, personal or otherwise

Where is the proof that those numbers have anything to do with Elizabeth's cancer?

Last edited:
Angela Harlem said:
usprimaries_2007.png

That says it all really - America has only one party with a highly authoritarian wing (Republicans) and a mildly less authoritarian wing (Democrats).

I'm sceptical as to Ron Paul's postion on that graph however - he should surely fall into the libertarian side.

financeguy said:

I'm sceptical as to Ron Paul's postion on that graph however - he should surely fall into the libertarian side.

Except that he's compromised too much in order to get the Republican vote.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Except that he's compromised too much in order to get the Republican vote.

I'm be intrigued to hear some examples. I have not seen the hint of compromise on any issues.

financeguy said:

He has held some positions that indicate he's what you could call a "fiscal libertarian." His social views are more in line with "social conservatism" from what I have surmised. He is from Texas, after all.

Back
Top Bottom