Who are you planning on voting for? - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-22-2007, 09:20 AM   #121
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 05:17 PM
i am continually amazed at how sentimental conservativism has become. what a long, long way from Goldwater, and even Reagan.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 08-22-2007, 10:01 AM   #122
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
CTU2fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,366
Local Time: 06:17 PM
^ They got tired of liberals saying they don't care...
__________________

__________________
CTU2fan is online now  
Old 08-22-2007, 02:22 PM   #123
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 05:17 PM
and since we're talking about negatives, and how people should just give up and walk away if someone doesn't like them, it's intersting to find Mitt Romney at a negative rating of 44%, even higher than HRC.

it seems that some in his own party won't vote for him no matter the circumstance.

probably due to religious bigotry.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 08-22-2007, 02:41 PM   #124
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 03:17 PM
The point though Mitt is *not* the front runner, and most Republicans know that Mitt won't get nomination.

dbs
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 08-22-2007, 02:53 PM   #125
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,747
Local Time: 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
The point though Mitt is *not* the front runner, and most Republicans know that Mitt won't get nomination.

dbs
i thought he was. who is the republican front runner?
__________________
unico is offline  
Old 08-22-2007, 02:54 PM   #126
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
 
UberBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: the most serious...douch hammer ever
Posts: 20,318
Local Time: 05:17 PM
Rudy, no?
__________________
UberBeaver is offline  
Old 08-22-2007, 03:05 PM   #127
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by unico


i thought he was. who is the republican front runner?
Only in a few states, but *not* nationally.

dbs
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 08-22-2007, 03:06 PM   #128
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 03:17 PM

Quote:
Rudy, no?
Correct.
Then Fred Thompson, then Mitt and McCain.

dbs
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 08-22-2007, 03:09 PM   #129
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,747
Local Time: 05:17 PM
thanks for the clarification beav & diamond.


beav & diamond
__________________
unico is offline  
Old 08-22-2007, 03:37 PM   #130
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,255
Local Time: 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
it's intersting to find Mitt Romney at a negative rating of 44%, even higher than HRC.
I wouldnt take that poll real seriously. According to them, not a single candidate is remotely likable. Although, who knows, maybe that's the case right now.
__________________
2861U2 is offline  
Old 08-22-2007, 03:48 PM   #131
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by unico
thanks for the clarification beav & diamond.


beav & diamond
You're welcome.



Polling Data Averages:

Giuliani 28.2
Thompson: 17.0
Mitt 12.7
McCain: 12.7
Ginrich 8.5




Overall Nationally Rudy leads by +11.2

Rasmussen 08/16 - 08/19 Giuliani +7.0

Gallup 08/13 - 08/16 Giuliani +13.0

Quinnipiac 08/07 - 08/13 Giuliani +13.0

American Res. Group 08/09 - 08/11 Giuliani +11.0

CNN 08/06 - 08/08 Giuliani +8.0

Cook/RT Strategies -Giuliani +10.0


dbs
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 08-22-2007, 04:41 PM   #132
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,064
Local Time: 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2


I wouldnt take that poll real seriously. According to them, not a single candidate is remotely likable. Although, who knows, maybe that's the case right now.
I don't get it. You wouldn't take this Rasmussen poll seriously, but in the Hot Stove thread, you post and link another Rasmussen poll regarding HRC's disapproval rating, so I'm assuming you take that one seriously.

?
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 08-22-2007, 05:38 PM   #133
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 09:17 AM
It's rather simple. If a poll supports claims you make, then it's more believable. If it makes claims you just cannot see (forest for the trees, etc), then it cannot be believed.
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 08-22-2007, 05:46 PM   #134
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 04:17 PM
Re: Is Edwards phony?

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond


Well perhaps this would be a pertinent article, this journalist assigned to cover Edwards shares his observations on Edwards and Dean and how they contrast:

Why I see John Edwards as a big phony

By BRAD WARTHEN - Editorial Page Editor

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...626498,00.html

from Bob Shrum's book
an excerpt from the linked article above:

Kerry talked with several potential picks, including Gephardt and Edwards. He was comfortable after his conversations with Gephardt, but even queasier about Edwards after they met. Edwards had told Kerry he was going to share a story with him that he'd never told anyone else—that after his son Wade had been killed, he climbed onto the slab at the funeral home, laid there and hugged his body, and promised that he'd do all he could to make life better for people, to live up to Wade's ideals of service. Kerry was stunned, not moved, because, as he told me later, Edwards had recounted the same exact story to him, almost in the exact same words, a year or two before—and with the same preface, that he'd never shared the memory with anyone else.

Kerry said he found it chilling, and he decided he couldn't pick Edwards unless he met with him again. When they did, Kerry tried to get a better personal feel for his potential number two; as rivals for national office since 2000, shortly after Edwards had entered the Senate, the two men hadn't spent a lot of time together. Kerry also wanted a specific reassurance. He asked Edwards for a commitment that if he was chosen and the ticket lost, Edwards wouldn't run against him in 2008. Edwards agreed "absolutely," as Kerry recalled him saying. If Kerry had shared this at the time, I would have told him what I did later: it was naive to think he could rely on a promise like that. Unlike Joe Lieberman, who'd been plucked from relative obscurity by Gore, Edwards had made his own mark in the primaries. He was ambitious—and if he saw his chance the next time, he was likely to go for it.

On the day the Edwards pick was made public, Edwards and I talked for the first time since I had informed him of our decision to work for Kerry and he had reacted angrily. He said he knew I'd helped get him on the ticket and he was grateful. I told him that I welcomed the possibility that we might be friends again, but that wasn't the reason for my preference. I believed it was the right move for Kerry. Kerry's relationship with Edwards would sour after the election—and mine would simply fade away. When Elizabeth discovered she had breast cancer, John and Teresa reached out to help the Edwardses find the best doctors they could. Marylouise and I called—but afterward, never heard from John again. Maybe we shouldn't have expected to. Kerry told me that the Edwardses simply stopped returning calls or talking to him and Teresa. Within months, Edwards started preparing for a bid in 2008. Kerry said that he wished he'd never picked Edwards, that he should have gone with his gut.

---------------------------------------------------------------


My gut reaction is that, along with all the other anectdotal evidence, seems to fit. Now, I don't doubt that he wants to fight for the impoverished and a lot of his politics I agree with quite a bit but I just think he's a fake.

All politicans are fake on the stage, in their stump speeches and through the press, we all know this. When people say you are a phony on a personal level, partisan colleagues at that, I don't think it makes him look real good.

There is always a chance that he might be misunderstood and that his detractors are bitter but at some point if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck........
__________________
U2DMfan is offline  
Old 08-22-2007, 06:04 PM   #135
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 03:17 PM
Re: Re: Is Edwards phony?

Quote:
Originally posted by U2DMfan


http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...626498,00.html

from Bob Shrum's book
an excerpt from the linked article above:

Kerry talked with several potential picks, including Gephardt and Edwards. He was comfortable after his conversations with Gephardt, but even queasier about Edwards after they met. Edwards had told Kerry he was going to share a story with him that he'd never told anyone else—that after his son Wade had been killed, he climbed onto the slab at the funeral home, laid there and hugged his body, and promised that he'd do all he could to make life better for people, to live up to Wade's ideals of service. Kerry was stunned, not moved, because, as he told me later, Edwards had recounted the same exact story to him, almost in the exact same words, a year or two before—and with the same preface, that he'd never shared the memory with anyone else.

Kerry said he found it chilling, and he decided he couldn't pick Edwards unless he met with him again. When they did, Kerry tried to get a better personal feel for his potential number two; as rivals for national office since 2000, shortly after Edwards had entered the Senate, the two men hadn't spent a lot of time together. Kerry also wanted a specific reassurance. He asked Edwards for a commitment that if he was chosen and the ticket lost, Edwards wouldn't run against him in 2008. Edwards agreed "absolutely," as Kerry recalled him saying. If Kerry had shared this at the time, I would have told him what I did later: it was naive to think he could rely on a promise like that. Unlike Joe Lieberman, who'd been plucked from relative obscurity by Gore, Edwards had made his own mark in the primaries. He was ambitious—and if he saw his chance the next time, he was likely to go for it.

On the day the Edwards pick was made public, Edwards and I talked for the first time since I had informed him of our decision to work for Kerry and he had reacted angrily. He said he knew I'd helped get him on the ticket and he was grateful. I told him that I welcomed the possibility that we might be friends again, but that wasn't the reason for my preference. I believed it was the right move for Kerry. Kerry's relationship with Edwards would sour after the election—and mine would simply fade away. When Elizabeth discovered she had breast cancer, John and Teresa reached out to help the Edwardses find the best doctors they could. Marylouise and I called—but afterward, never heard from John again. Maybe we shouldn't have expected to. Kerry told me that the Edwardses simply stopped returning calls or talking to him and Teresa. Within months, Edwards started preparing for a bid in 2008. Kerry said that he wished he'd never picked Edwards, that he should have gone with his gut.

---------------------------------------------------------------


My gut reaction is that, along with all the other anectdotal evidence, seems to fit. Now, I don't doubt that he wants to fight for the impoverished and a lot of his politics I agree with quite a bit but I just think he's a fake.

All politicans are fake on the stage, in their stump speeches and through the press, we all know this. When people say you are a phony on a personal level, partisan colleagues at that, I don't think it makes him look real good.

There is always a chance that he might be misunderstood and that his detractors are bitter but at some point if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck........
Excellent post, thanks for another example of what I was referring to.

Some folks here misinterpreted my criticizing Edwards (in another thread) trying to exploit his wife's illness for votes.

I don't have anything against Mrs Edwards at all. My mom died on Cancer when I was 2 and half years old.
I think she is unwittingly being exploited for polictical purposes.

After she passes, perhaps that would be Edwads' time to run.

The country needs a healthy President and at least a First Lady with a good or decent bill of health.

Family first is my view.


I think Edwards will do just about anything to seek public office-which is sad.

dbs
__________________

__________________
diamond is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com