"Whites Only Prom"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
I wouldn't be surprised if this was a news article from 40 years ago, but to find it today is sickening.

Georgians Plan Whites-Only Prom Party

ALBANY, Ga. - Gerica McCrary said she cried when she heard about the decision to hold a separate white-only prom only a year after she helped bring black and white students together in her rural high school's first integrated prom.

Many white students at Taylor County High School said they plan to attend next week's mixed prom, but a small number of whites said they also wanted a private party.

Juniors are charged with planning the prom each year and last year they decided to have just one dance ? the first integrated prom in 31 years in the rural Georgia county 150 miles south of Atlanta.

Until then, parents and students organized separate proms for whites and blacks after school officials stopped sponsoring dances, in part because they wanted to avoid problems arising from interracial dating.

After school integration, separate proms were common in the rural South. Taylor County was among the last to cling to the practice.

Erin Posey, a white senior, said the entire junior class joined together in hosting last year's prom, but this year's junior class wasn't as unified.

"I think a lot of seniors were disappointed," she said. "Now we have to choose between two groups of friends."

The school has 439 students, 232 of them black. McCrary, who is black, and a white friend passed out fliers informing students of all races that they would be welcome at the May 9 prom at nearby Fort Valley State University. The private prom is Friday night 50 miles away in Columbus.

"I would have liked to see it together this year," said Gerard Latimore, a black junior class president who helped organize this year's integrated prom night. "My class would have, too. It just didn't happen this year."

Gerard's mother, Glenda Latimore, a 1972 graduate, attended a segregated prom. She said relatives in Philadelphia and New Jersey laugh when they read about Taylor County's prom.

"It seems like it's something secret," she said. "The white people are afraid to speak up against the separation.

"But I went to a black prom and I had fun," she added. "It didn't kill me, so I tell my son, 'Just go to the prom and have fun. Don't come out hating anyone.'"

:tsk: :shame:

Yeah I guess you're right since it isn't put on by the school itself. You just want to go talk some sence to them, and their parents...

hey, can someone tell me what year this is? Its 2003 right? because that was the impression I was under.

Sorry, this is just wrong. Where does it end? would i be able to attend prom with my jewish boyfriend even though I'm catholic? we're both white so does that count or is he a different shade of white than I am?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Yeah I guess you're right since it isn't put on by the school itself. You just want to go talk some sence to them, and their parents...

Talk some sense into them.......while holding them in a headlock.....

I guess bigotry is still alive and well.

Perhaps we should send forces in to liberate these people.... :madspit:

One of the lessons I learned while in Mississippi recently was the need for whites to intentionally involve themselves in the lives of African Americans (for me, it was through a local church) to provide, at a minimum, love and encouragement.

Even worse than the poverty in the area is the oppressive feeling that "you will never amount to anything" which is kept alive by generations of white bigotry.

They can claim this isn't a school sponsored activity all they want but I don't buy it. Everyone involved...especially the parents and school adminstrators, could change this but would rather look the other way than do something about it.

Bigotry is passed down from generation to generation...hopefully the kids who are upset with this won't pass these backward ideas on to their own kids.:down:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
:tsk:

i stopped reading when i saw my home state listed at the top.

i am so ashamed of my state at times! :down:

I'm right next door, in Alabama. It's sad that this kind of thing is going on in a high school in 2003.:sad: :mad: :censored: :censored:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
i am sure those racists come from the same families who voted for our new Gov. only so that the state would bring back the stars and bars to the state flag :down: however lmao at Gov. Purdue for not bringing back the stars and bars to our flag. he pissed off all of those johnny rebels! :up: :yes:

Yay for him not allowing that. Every time I see a confederate flag, I just can't help but think about all the death and destruction and families being torn apart during the Civil War... and all the way up to today.

What's sad is the year before, that school had only one prom and it was for everyone. The school should have somehow, someway upheld that rule and kept it that way. It's in a rural town, sure, but does that make it OK for segregation to be alive and well in America? I thought it was outlawed? Isn't that what Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King, Jr. fought for? And yet, it's allowed to happen. How incredibly demeaning and sad. I'll bet there's more to the story than meets the eye. There has to be. :mad:

Moonie

sharky said:
hey, can someone tell me what year this is? Its 2003 right? because that was the impression I was under.

Really, no kidding-that's what the calendar says...

This is just...argh! So incredibly frustrating.

Again, I ask, what in the world is WRONG with people?

Geez, crimety-I hope students there take a stand against this kind of crap-we don't need to be dealing with this anymore. We SHOULDN'T be dealing with this anymore.

Someone should tell those racists down there to grow up and get with the program.

Angela

Bono's American Wife said:
They can claim this isn't a school sponsored activity all they want but I don't buy it. Everyone involved...especially the parents and school adminstrators, could change this but would rather look the other way than do something about it.

Bigotry is passed down from generation to generation...hopefully the kids who are upset with this won't pass these backward ideas on to their own kids.:down:

You are so right Bono's American Wife. I live it everyday. It breaks my Heart the prejudice that is is still so rampant in my state. The next person who says "I'm not racist, but" thats just like a -------- (fill in the blank).. This just incites me to say "why does it have to be aimed at black's, hispanic, or other minority. Why can't someone just say - that person just pisses me off. I really just don't understand. and it's not like I haven't been around for awhile. I've just lost so many friends because of
"their" attitudes. Which hasn't turned out to be of any great loss, it's just disappointing to find out that they really feel this way and are still probably passing it on to their children. I can do what I can as long as I can stand to be around this type of person but it doesn't take long to figure out where they are coming from, so I either start an argument or leave. Anyway it doesn't stop people from inviting me places, but I still voice my opinion, and give facts on why some statements are so ignorant I can't believe it's coming from such an educated mouth.
And on a more positive note, there are a lot of us that haven't passed this on to their children and are now raising children. So maybe in the sense of "Our Childrens, children, children" there will be hope. (I love the Moody Blues. Early '70's)

Back
Top Bottom