"Whites Only Prom" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2003, 04:44 PM   #16
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:40 PM
Reading things like this make me sick.

Old 05-02-2003, 04:52 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.

i stopped reading when i saw my home state listed at the top.

i am so ashamed of my state at times!

Old 05-02-2003, 05:46 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75

i stopped reading when i saw my home state listed at the top.

i am so ashamed of my state at times!
I'm right next door, in Alabama. It's sad that this kind of thing is going on in a high school in 2003.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:22 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
i am sure those racists come from the same families who voted for our new Gov. only so that the state would bring back the stars and bars to the state flag however lmao at Gov. Purdue for not bringing back the stars and bars to our flag. he pissed off all of those johnny rebels!
Old 05-02-2003, 10:46 PM   #20
Refugee

Location: Belmont Shore, CA (I prefer flying a kite at the beach, really.)
Local Time: 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75
i am sure those racists come from the same families who voted for our new Gov. only so that the state would bring back the stars and bars to the state flag however lmao at Gov. Purdue for not bringing back the stars and bars to our flag. he pissed off all of those johnny rebels!
Yay for him not allowing that. Every time I see a confederate flag, I just can't help but think about all the death and destruction and families being torn apart during the Civil War... and all the way up to today.

What's sad is the year before, that school had only one prom and it was for everyone. The school should have somehow, someway upheld that rule and kept it that way. It's in a rural town, sure, but does that make it OK for segregation to be alive and well in America? I thought it was outlawed? Isn't that what Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King, Jr. fought for? And yet, it's allowed to happen. How incredibly demeaning and sad. I'll bet there's more to the story than meets the eye. There has to be.

Moonie
Old 05-03-2003, 03:33 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
hey, can someone tell me what year this is? Its 2003 right? because that was the impression I was under.
Really, no kidding-that's what the calendar says...

This is just...argh! So incredibly frustrating.

Again, I ask, what in the world is WRONG with people?

Geez, crimety-I hope students there take a stand against this kind of crap-we don't need to be dealing with this anymore. We SHOULDN'T be dealing with this anymore.

Someone should tell those racists down there to grow up and get with the program.

Angela
Old 05-03-2003, 03:44 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Wow, and people try to claim that racism is no longer a problem in 2003. How disgusting.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:55 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife
They can claim this isn't a school sponsored activity all they want but I don't buy it. Everyone involved...especially the parents and school adminstrators, could change this but would rather look the other way than do something about it.

Bigotry is passed down from generation to generation...hopefully the kids who are upset with this won't pass these backward ideas on to their own kids.

You are so right Bono's American Wife. I live it everyday. It breaks my Heart the prejudice that is is still so rampant in my state. The next person who says "I'm not racist, but" thats just like a -------- (fill in the blank).. This just incites me to say "why does it have to be aimed at black's, hispanic, or other minority. Why can't someone just say - that person just pisses me off. I really just don't understand. and it's not like I haven't been around for awhile. I've just lost so many friends because of
"their" attitudes. Which hasn't turned out to be of any great loss, it's just disappointing to find out that they really feel this way and are still probably passing it on to their children. I can do what I can as long as I can stand to be around this type of person but it doesn't take long to figure out where they are coming from, so I either start an argument or leave. Anyway it doesn't stop people from inviting me places, but I still voice my opinion, and give facts on why some statements are so ignorant I can't believe it's coming from such an educated mouth.
And on a more positive note, there are a lot of us that haven't passed this on to their children and are now raising children. So maybe in the sense of "Our Childrens, children, children" there will be hope. (I love the Moody Blues. Early '70's)
Old 05-03-2003, 11:23 PM   #24
Blue Crack Distributor

I don't think that bigotry will ever go away.