White House says loss of life likely...? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2003, 04:35 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie

Do they not realize that camoflage is SO 2001?

Old 03-19-2003, 04:37 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by follower
Yes, some of your own might get hurt or even a few might die, but it the end they were military. It´s their job, right? So what would you expect?

What I wonder is...who cares for people like this woman? Who f***** cares?

“Death will come to you no matter where you are,” Lamia’a Kazem Mohammed, a 55-year-old housewife in a black chador, said as she headed home with two small shopping bags in Baghdad’s Al-Saydia area. “I am not going anywhere when the bombs fall. I am staying put at my house.”

I wonder who cares that the sanctions condoned by the security council over twelve years have killed 12 times the number of people that dies in the Gulf War if not more. 2/3rds of which are children.

Continued appeasement with Saddam is no longer the answer. The fact that the deliverer of the message has done a piss poor job does not mean this is not a reality. The sanctions and game playing with this BASTARD have killed so many more than the war that was fought.

Old 03-19-2003, 04:42 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screaming Flower
i don't think anyone should assume that i, nor anyone else here, cares soley for "our own." i see no one here making those comments. in fact, i think most people here have always shown concern for all people who are at risk in this situation. no one,regardless of what their stance is on the war, wants to see innocent people die. to assume otherwise would be wrong.
I agree. I think this is an important point. I am totally against this war, but I disagree with some of the implications that have been made here regarding some people not caring about anyone other than their "own." Are there people who only care about American lives? Of course. But I haven't read anything to suggest that any of those people post here.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:56 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 03:22 PM
First, Saddam has killed many of his own and so has the UN sanctions.

Second, that woman certainly has less chances to survive than your soldiers.

Third, this war wasn´t necessary at all. I doubt that the price for you will be as high as the one that will be payed by people like that woman.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:21 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Third, this war wasn´t necessary at all. I doubt that the price for you will be as high as the one that will be payed by people like that woman.
You are right. If the powers on the security council enforced their own resolutions, and took action, and didn't allow smuggling, and didn't violate the sanctions themselves, and distributed the food for oil themselves...you are right.

Instead, we have had twelve years of people killed by non-action.

As to the price I have paid or will pay I will not get into my personal losses. I will address my countries losses. Ultimately, we have had soldiers in Saudi Arabia protecting the oil there for twelve years. Why, because of Saddam. 9/11 was an attack on our country because we have troops there. That ultimately is the reason al-Qaeda is opposed to us. Many in my country have paid a price.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:43 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 03:22 PM
So be it. Drop the bombs over her head. What does that human life value anyways?

This is my farewell post in this forum. Bush´s war is about to begin. He, the allmighty Bush and his masterplan, he won, the so-called "rest" of the world lost. Period. He got his war, his own horror circus. I won´t be around to witness the celebrations. That would be a pointless masochistic move.

Iraquianas cristăs, que vivem na Jordânia, pedem paz em seu país natal. Foto: Ali Jarekji

Need some help? Probably yes. The caption says: Christian Iraqi women who are living in Jordan pray for peace in their homeland.

I´ll join them.

Adieu. Bonne chance.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:53 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:22 AM
So...you're mad at us here in Interference because we can't stop the Bush administration from going to war with Iraq? And you think we here at Interference will be celebrating the losses of lives? You think the Americans here don't value human lives because of what our president is doing? You honestly believe we will be sitting at home going "YAY!! Got another one!" every time a report is given about an Iraqi life taken?
Old 03-19-2003, 05:59 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:22 AM
Quote:
“On the brink of war with Iraq, Americans should be prepared for what we hope will be as precise, short a conflict as possible, but there are many unknowns and it could be a matter of some duration,” White House press secretary Ari Fleischer said. “We do not know.”
“Americans ought to be prepared for loss of life,” he said. “Americans ought to be prepared for the importance of disarming Saddam Hussein to protect the peace.”
I believe what he meant is that Americans should be prepared for American soldiers’ deaths. With all the talk of "Shock and Awe" bombing, Iraqis deaths were a given.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:20 PM   #24
New Yorker

I also think (not to put words in his mouth) is that if WMD's are found some here will gloat with the "we said so all along".

Bushie's right, ect. Not gloating over death.

I did hear an interesting thought today from a former Colonel. He stated that if we had to fight man-to-man, we might not be going in. The public may not tolerate the loss of life of our men. So our troops don't die just the enemy by these huge bombs. (I'm not saying I'm not glad there will be minimal loss of our troops hopefully) But as we and the soldiers don't have to personally witness the killing it seems more tolerable to us morally. I think he had a serious point.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:37 PM   #25
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:22 PM
Oh absolutely. I say we disarm the whole world and let wars be fought hand to hand. I can almost guaranty there would be less wars being fought.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:14 PM   #26
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
So be it. Drop the bombs over her head. What does that human life value anyways?

This is my farewell post in this forum. Bush´s war is about to begin. He, the allmighty Bush and his masterplan, he won, the so-called "rest" of the world lost. Period. He got his war, his own horror circus. I won´t be around to witness the celebrations. That would be a pointless masochistic move.

I'm very sad that you would actually believe anyone in this forum would celebrate war and the loss of human life.

I'm sorry you are so willing to believe that being American means we are jumping up and down, waiting for bombs to drop so we can celebrate.

If you truly believe this, you are sadly misinformed.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:20 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Re: White House says loss of life likely...?

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

LETTER TO CONGRESS
Bush contends that Iraq has weapons of mass destruction that could get in the hands of terrorists.
The White House released a letter and report Bush sent Congress on Tuesday night that, in compliance with a war resolution approved by lawmakers last year, outlined his rationale for military conflict.
“The president of the United States has the authority — indeed, given the dangers involved, the duty — to use force against Iraq to protect the security of the American people and to compel compliance with United Nations resolutions,” the report said.
The letter said the Constitution gives the president authority to “take the necessary actions against international terrorists and terrorist organizations, including those nations, organizations or persons who planned, authorized, committed or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on Sept. 11, 2001.”
White House spokesman Sean McCormack said the language refers to the administration’s belief that there are links ties between al-Qaida and Iraq, and that Bush was not accusing Iraq of being involved in the attacks.
Bush has said he has no proof that Iraq was linked to the 2001 strikes.

Many have blurred the lines and believe they have heard W say there is a Iraq/Saddam link to 911.

The most they will commit to is a belief that a tie exists between Iraq and al-quida.

*Don't misunerstand my posts as support for Saddam.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:27 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:22 PM
IT'S VERY REALISTIC

WATCH MORE TV

BE-LIE-VE
Old 03-20-2003, 10:08 AM   #29
Refugee

Local Time: 02:22 PM

Quote:
Yes, some of your own might get hurt or even a few might die, but it the end they were military. It´s their job, right? So what would you expect?
Please people, at times like this it is important to remember that while it may be military's job to go into combat, these soldiers are still people's brothers, sons, fathers, husbands, and in this day and age, daugters, sisters, mothers, and wives.

My little brother is a member of the (fortunatly Canadian) army. I know that is a decision that he made, but at times like this it is really hard to digest that I could lose him at any moment just because our politicians decide to send some troops into war.
Old 03-20-2003, 10:53 AM   #30
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Local Time: 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by spinninghead77

Please people, at times like this it is important to remember that while it may be military's job to go into combat, these soldiers are still people's brothers, sons, fathers, husbands, and in this day and age, daugters, sisters, mothers, and wives.