Which States have the highest percentage of volunteerism ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Again, if "volunteerism" can be defined by working church functions--as is commonly defined--then it's no surprise. The same states that bullied their followers into voting for Bush and giving a lot of money to them are also going to be pressured to volunteer for the church or their affiliated charities.

Melon

That Red States are generally more evangelical / fundamentalist Christian than the Blue States.

As such, if their ministers tell them to vote for Bush, they'll vote for Bush. If they tell them they have to tithe, they'll tithe--which is, legally, a donation. If they tell them they have to volunteer their time for the ministry, they'll volunteer their time.

See the pattern?

Melon

My church has a policy of not endorsing polictical canidates and the state in which it's headquartered, that state has the highest rate of volunteerism in the nation, while endorsing no one.

So go try and figure it out again.

Maybe ppl who believe in God enjoying helping out their fellow man more?

Peace,

dbs

melon said:
That Red States are generally more evangelical / fundamentalist Christian than the Blue States.

As such, if their ministers tell them to vote for Bush, they'll vote for Bush. If they tell them they have to tithe, they'll tithe--which is, legally, a donation. If they tell them they have to volunteer their time for the ministry, they'll volunteer their time.

See the pattern?

Melon

They are more willing to do good? Or they have good leadership about doing good?

I'm not sure the "bullying" angle makes sense here, even if it takes a swipe at GWB.

Last edited:
Maybe more people in those states can afford (in terms of time, money, and resources) to volunteer more? Like middle class people who have comfortable lives and can volunteer with their respective churches and schools.

Just the other day my mom was reading me an article about some local rich woman who was injured (like just a scratch) in a car accident and the press was saying how it was such a shame that such a nice lady who always volunteered was "hurt". I said "Yeah, if I was married to DeVo' and had three billion dollars and didn't have to go to college or work a day in my life or do any yardwork, I'd volunteer all the time." And my mom said "Me too."

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I said "Yeah, if I was married to DeVo' and had three billion dollars and didn't have to go to college or work a day in my life or do any yardwork, I'd volunteer all the time." And my mom said "Me too."

"Limousine Charity" is a whole different world - and is conducted by the very wealthy in both red and blue states.

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:
They are more willing to do good? Or they have good leadership about doing good?

That's it's pretty easy to stop thinking and just do what you're told.

Melon

Re: Re: Which States have the highest percentage of volunteerism ?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
If we're going to be this vague, and judge everything purely on state then I'd hate to tell you which state is the unhealthiest and which has the highest hate crime rate.

Don't forget the states with the highest divorce rates.

Melon

You can do both.

I think giving to a good charity (so were not saying the fund for injured neo-Nazis) is more admirable than giving taxes.

is tithing really considered charity?

if so, then there's no question that Utah is going to be at the top -- tithing is mandatory for Mormons.

I was quite surprised to see Alabama standing out amongst its immediate neighbors; not as much that our citizens tned to volunteer more as the fact that (particulary) Tennessee and Florida residents do not volunteer as much. So much for the "Tennessee Volunteers."

I will note that our pastor and/or church have never told us who to vote for. The North Alabama United Methodist Conference has opposed legalized gambling (but for different reasons than some religious groups) and has endorsed tax and constitutional reform in our state.

Although our pastor's sermon yesterday pretty much implied that Dan Brown is full of crap.

~U2Alabama

Specifically, he was referencing some of Dan Brown's post-novel commentary. I guess I should have made that clear.

Nice try though.

~U2Alabama

It's interesting how many of those high-volunteering states (they defined "volunteering" as unpaid labor on behalf of an organization, e.g., anything from PTAs to church committees to soup kitchens) are also predominantly rural, low-population-density states with few or no large cities. For example, 4 of those top 10 (WY, VT, AK, and SD) are in the bottom 5 states according to population density. A smalltown civility effect perhaps?

diamond said:

Maybe ppl who believe in God enjoying helping out their fellow man more

But sometimes those same people are so wrapped up in themselves that they couldn't care less about their fellow man. Sometimes they're completely unsympathetic and nonempathetic and far too judgmental of their fellow man.

There is no direct collrelation, people behave as individuals not as ideals. Some people with little or no belief in God can be the most helpful to their fellow man.

MrsSpringsteen said:

But sometimes those same people are so wrapped up in themselves that they couldn't care less about their fellow man. Sometimes they're completely unsympathetic and nonempathetic and far too judgmental of their fellow man.

There is no direct collrelation, people behave as individuals not as ideals. Some people with little or no belief in God can be the most helpful to their fellow man.

I wouldn't say there is a perfect cause and affect on either side. But, if you stand back and look at what would be a better influence, I think you would agree the message falls on the positive side.

nbcrusader said:

I think you would agree the message falls on the positive side.

I would agree with that, but I also think it's entirely up to the individual and what he/she does with that message and how he/she translates it into actions and behavior. Of course selfishness knows no religious, non-religious affiliation. I ask God constantly to help me with my selfishness and self-centeredness.

And I know how to spell correlation :slant:, I really can't type in the morning

This thread and the other one about charitable giving seem a bit "uncharitably" smug.

The implication that people in red states, Republicans, conservatives, Christians whatever are better people kinda stinks imo.

The various sneering comments afterwards don't help much.

Having said that, I would have to say that at least in my church our pastors do not order us to vote for any particular candidate, they do not order us to give to the church, and they don't order us to volunteer.

However, it is true that, at least in my denomination, tithing is "required." Technically, our church teaches that we are required to return a tenth of our income "to God" though in actual practice that usually means our church. Some people though, such as my mom, pay their tithe to actual charities rather than the church. And the church really makes no real effort to "make sure" that tithe is being paid to the church. So it's not actually enforced. It's kind of impossible to enforce which means that many members of my denomination do not actually tithe.

And yes, it is considered a charitable gift. You can get receipts from the church that you can use to claim your tithe as a tax deduction. It really doesn't make any difference to me though and I've never claimed my tithe on my taxes.

I guess this should go in other thread on charitable giving but it would appear the purpose of this thread is the same.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Oh come on, I was kidding!

That's what the [smilie deleted] is for...

Yes, I know you were kidding, but it seems that everyone time someone refers to The DaVinci Fraud, someone has to pipe up that the novel itself is fiction; we all know that and that's great; in fact, it's a wonderfaul, captivating novel that I had a hard time putting down while reading. But Dan Brown's talk show and other interview discussions have implied that he belows the mythical marital/erotica theories behind the novel.

Regarding the tithing/charity/giving analyses going on here, I would say that I pretty much agree with a lot of what maycocksean and his mother feel is appropriate.

~U2Alabama

Well, I don't know how I managed to type "belows" for "believes" but "believes" is what I meant to state that Dan Brown was doing. These interviews were shortly after the novel came out but before it became really popular (at least inthis area). I found out about it from some non-church-going friends/neighbors who read the book and listened to some of Dan Brown's discussion. They were actually convinced that the underlying erotic Jesus married husband myth was some newly discovered truth that would change Christianity.

~U2Alabama

Back
Top Bottom