Which States have the highest percentage of volunteerism ? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive

Old 06-19-2006, 11:46 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:29 AM

I was quite surprised to see Alabama standing out amongst its immediate neighbors; not as much that our citizens tned to volunteer more as the fact that (particulary) Tennessee and Florida residents do not volunteer as much. So much for the "Tennessee Volunteers."

I will note that our pastor and/or church have never told us who to vote for. The North Alabama United Methodist Conference has opposed legalized gambling (but for different reasons than some religious groups) and has endorsed tax and constitutional reform in our state.

Although our pastor's sermon yesterday pretty much implied that Dan Brown is full of crap.

~U2Alabama

Old 06-19-2006, 11:54 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama

Although our pastor's sermon yesterday pretty much implied that Dan Brown is full of crap.

So the fact that the NOVEL is fiction hasn't traveled down to Alabama yet?

Old 06-20-2006, 12:01 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Specifically, he was referencing some of Dan Brown's post-novel commentary. I guess I should have made that clear.

Nice try though.

~U2Alabama
Old 06-20-2006, 12:18 AM   #19
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:29 PM
It's interesting how many of those high-volunteering states (they defined "volunteering" as unpaid labor on behalf of an organization, e.g., anything from PTAs to church committees to soup kitchens) are also predominantly rural, low-population-density states with few or no large cities. For example, 4 of those top 10 (WY, VT, AK, and SD) are in the bottom 5 states according to population density. A smalltown civility effect perhaps?

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 06-20-2006, 12:33 AM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Nice try though.

Oh come on, I was kidding!

That's what the is for...
Old 06-20-2006, 10:19 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

Maybe ppl who believe in God enjoying helping out their fellow man more
But sometimes those same people are so wrapped up in themselves that they couldn't care less about their fellow man. Sometimes they're completely unsympathetic and nonempathetic and far too judgmental of their fellow man.

There is no direct collrelation, people behave as individuals not as ideals. Some people with little or no belief in God can be the most helpful to their fellow man.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:06 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

But sometimes those same people are so wrapped up in themselves that they couldn't care less about their fellow man. Sometimes they're completely unsympathetic and nonempathetic and far too judgmental of their fellow man.

There is no direct collrelation, people behave as individuals not as ideals. Some people with little or no belief in God can be the most helpful to their fellow man.
I wouldn't say there is a perfect cause and affect on either side. But, if you stand back and look at what would be a better influence, I think you would agree the message falls on the positive side.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:16 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

what NB said.

dbs
Old 06-20-2006, 04:50 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I think you would agree the message falls on the positive side.
I would agree with that, but I also think it's entirely up to the individual and what he/she does with that message and how he/she translates it into actions and behavior. Of course selfishness knows no religious, non-religious affiliation. I ask God constantly to help me with my selfishness and self-centeredness.

And I know how to spell correlation , I really can't type in the morning
Old 06-20-2006, 10:16 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

This thread and the other one about charitable giving seem a bit "uncharitably" smug.

The implication that people in red states, Republicans, conservatives, Christians whatever are better people kinda stinks imo.

The various sneering comments afterwards don't help much.

Having said that, I would have to say that at least in my church our pastors do not order us to vote for any particular candidate, they do not order us to give to the church, and they don't order us to volunteer.

However, it is true that, at least in my denomination, tithing is "required." Technically, our church teaches that we are required to return a tenth of our income "to God" though in actual practice that usually means our church. Some people though, such as my mom, pay their tithe to actual charities rather than the church. And the church really makes no real effort to "make sure" that tithe is being paid to the church. So it's not actually enforced. It's kind of impossible to enforce which means that many members of my denomination do not actually tithe.

And yes, it is considered a charitable gift. You can get receipts from the church that you can use to claim your tithe as a tax deduction. It really doesn't make any difference to me though and I've never claimed my tithe on my taxes.

I guess this should go in other thread on charitable giving but it would appear the purpose of this thread is the same.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:45 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Oh come on, I was kidding!

That's what the [smilie deleted] is for...
Yes, I know you were kidding, but it seems that everyone time someone refers to The DaVinci Fraud, someone has to pipe up that the novel itself is fiction; we all know that and that's great; in fact, it's a wonderfaul, captivating novel that I had a hard time putting down while reading. But Dan Brown's talk show and other interview discussions have implied that he belows the mythical marital/erotica theories behind the novel.

Regarding the tithing/charity/giving analyses going on here, I would say that I pretty much agree with a lot of what maycocksean and his mother feel is appropriate.

~U2Alabama
Old 06-21-2006, 12:15 AM   #27
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

But Dan Brown's talk show and other interview discussions have implied that he belows the mythical marital/erotica theories behind the novel.

Yeah I haven't seen any of these.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:19 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Well, I don't know how I managed to type "belows" for "believes" but "believes" is what I meant to state that Dan Brown was doing. These interviews were shortly after the novel came out but before it became really popular (at least inthis area). I found out about it from some non-church-going friends/neighbors who read the book and listened to some of Dan Brown's discussion. They were actually convinced that the underlying erotic Jesus married husband myth was some newly discovered truth that would change Christianity.

~U2Alabama
Old 06-21-2006, 12:33 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

dan brown was accurate w some facts and loose w alot of speculation..

dbs