Which Republican Should Run In 2008?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macfistowannabe

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
It's early, but to balance it out with the Edwards 2008 forum, here it goes. I know most of you are left, but you can participate anyways. Feel free to post some that you might like, or at least wouldn't mind having as president. This is optimistically a 2008 thread, so any Bush-bashing on this thread is childish, or unnessesary to say the least.

Let the games begin!

I'd say John McCain for the job and a black republican for vice president. McCain has earned respect from both parties, and has proven himself to do the right thing, even when the rest of the party isn't. A black republican, because it appeals to minorities, and it will overcome the "racist" stereotype. Then, most of the real white racists will probably vote democratic, and I'd like to see the opposing reactions.

Lots of you might like Rudy...

If he were the Republican Candidate, I would have to vote third-party. He may bring people together, but he is pro-choice.

Let it be a bird, not a hijacked plane!

Macfistowannabe said:
Lots of you might like Rudy.... If he were the Republican Candidate, I would have to vote third-party. He may bring people together, but he is pro-choice.
M.F. Wannabe, I simply consider myself pro-Life not anti-Choice (I can't imagine anyone except terrorists being anti-Life); however, the bigger issue has to be anti-terrorism and pro-security such as no Arab Muslim-hijacked American commercial jetliners slamming into our landmark buildings with rampant murder, massive damage, endless injuries, loss of hundreds of thousands of jobs, etc. I believe that when people think of RUDY!, they think how he remarkably responded, led N.Y.C. and inspired people everywhere on and after September 11th, 2001. RUDY's outstanding and effective speech recently at the Republican National Convention in N.Y.C. further secured his top spot status.

In a brand-new Gallup poll released today, and reported on FNC's "HANNITY & COLMES", RUDY! is clearly the #1 choice of Republicans with about 50%. JOHN McCAIN with 27% is a distant runner-up.

Note: This is pre-passage of a constitutional amendment which would qualify the Governator AHNOLD as a Republican presidential candidate.

For more on RUDY at my website, read some of his letters to the STONEWALL Veterans' Association at:
www.STONEWALLvets.org/RudyGiuliani.htm

Last edited:
Rudy will never make it in today's Republican party. I believe he's also not strongly against gay marriage, if I'm not mistaken...?

I don't like the chances for a moderate in today's GOP, it's too hard core right. That's too bad because I prefer one. Hell, I even crossed over and voted for McCain in the primaries in 2000. I'm afraid we moderate-preferrers are out of luck. Damn. :mad: :madspit: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

wolfwill23 said:
Rudy needs more experience if he's going to run. Maybe take on Hillary for her senate seat?

not like he was mayor of the largest city in america for 8 years... which technicaly is one of the 25 largest economies in the world... besides his time in the justice department... but yea... being a senator where you don't have to lead will be muuuuch better for him than what he's already done...

[/sarcasm]:wink:

i think the people who consider the GOP to be too far to the right to nominate someone like rudy or mccain are missing the boat. especially once bush puts a few right leaning judges on the bench... rudy's popularity is SOOO high right now that the GOP would be stupid not to run him.

fine... maaaybe they'll lose a few of the extreme right guys. :shrug: but really... who else are they gonna vote for? if they have a choice between a moderate republican and a moderate or liberal democrat, they ain't votin' for the democrat. plus, for every hard core righty who doesn't vote or votes for some no name 5th party guy, there will be tons of undecided voters AND democrats who would vote for rudy or mccain.

i'd like to believe that the reason the republicans are winning so much is simply because they've been smarter than the democrats. if they don't run a man who's approval ratings right now are STILL through the roof just because he's a moderate, then they'd be falling back into stupidity. because frankly... all the big time republicans that have mass appeal right now are all moderates... mccain, rudy, arnold, etc. if not one of them, then who?

Last edited:
You're right headache all the big Republican names are moderates. So maybe the situation isn't as bleak as I think it is. That would make me pretty happy.

verte76 said:
You're right headache all the big Republican names are moderates. So maybe the situation isn't as bleak as I think it is. That would make me pretty happy.

Me too. But then I realize that those guys aren't the ones in power.

:shrug:

strannix said:

Me too. But then I realize that those guys aren't the ones in power.

:shrug:

You're right, too, the moderates are the people who aren't in power. The one with the most power right now is Schwarzenegger, and of course he can't run for president because of his Austrian birth. I hate that law. I think it's really stupid to disqualify talented citizens just because they were not born here.

Rudy has a very, very good chance, along with McCain. I see them both on the ticket for the GOP in '08. However, its too early to say who would be the veep and prez on this one.

I'd be delighted if you're right about Giuliani and McCain odawpa. Although I'd most likely be loyal and vote for the Democrat, if a moderate Republican got in I would be much happier with the Administration, trust me. I can appreciate good compassionate conservatives who are from the moderate wing of the party. It's the hard-core idealogues I have trouble with in both parties. Hard core idealogically rigid liberals drive me nuts also. That's not what *works*. I'm a pragmatist. Idealogues drive me nuts.

Last edited:
Flying FuManchu said:
Wow... so being pro-abortion and pro-gay marriage means you're an extremist left winger of the party?
These are probably the two most important issues we stand against. I understand Rudy is from New York, and pro-life is a bad word in that city. Here's another question: Can you oppose these two issues and still appeal as a moderate? I think you can, as long as you admit faults in your own party. There are a lot of undecided voters out there, and I'm sure they would respect an honest politician who stands up for what is right.

as a left wing, east coast homosexual intellectual, i could easily see myself voting for any of the following: Schwarzennager, Guiliani, or McCain.

i'm all for the passage of the "Schwarzennager amendment." frist, it would give the Dems the lovely Jennifer Granholm, governor of Michigan. also, we should try and get them to likewise pass the ban on presidents only being able to serve 2 terms. 2 consecutive terms, yes, but someone should be able to run again who has already held the office.

yes, i'm talking about Clinton. if the Republicans get their biggest weapon (ah-nuld) then the Dems get theirs (bubba).

Re: Let it be a bird, not a hijacked plane!

Stonewall said:

M.F. Wannabe, I simply consider myself pro-Life not anti-Choice (I can't imagine anyone except terrorists being anti-Life); however, the bigger issue has to be anti-terrorism and pro-security such as no Arab Muslim-hijacked American commercial jetliners slamming into our landmark buildings with rampant murder, massive damage, endless injuries, loss of hundreds of thousands of jobs, etc. I believe that when people think of RUDY!, they think how he remarkably responded, led N.Y.C. and inspired people everywhere on and after September 11th, 2001. RUDY's outstanding and effective speech recently at the Republican National Convention in N.Y.C. further secured his top spot status.

For more on RUDY at my website, read some of his letters to the STONEWALL Veterans' Association at:
www.STONEWALLvets.org/RudyGiuliani.htm

Yes, terrorism is a bigger threat. I have faith that even if we see a liberal president win in 2008, he (or Hillary, etc...) will defend our country. I personally feel that a vote for Rudy is a vote for a democrat. I also support the break-up of a two-party system, and let the libertarians, independents, and other voices have a fair shot at office. A vote for third party speaks much louder than a vote for either of the majority candidates. That's where I will stand if Rudy or Arnold gets the Republican nomination.

It looks like I could end up crossing over again in 2008 to vote for the moderate Republican. I hate it that our primary is in June, which basically makes it a "rubber-stamp" primary. I don't know why our political big shots changed our primary from Super Tuesday day to the first week in June. Damn the idiots!! :censored: :censored: It practically knocked us out of the decision-making process if you ask me. Someone needs to have their head examined. :mad: :madspit: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Last edited:
WASHINGTON (AFP) - Former First Lady Hillary Clinton is the early favorite among Democrats and ex-New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani the top choice among Republicans as the 2008 presidential nominees, according to the Gallup Poll Briefing.

Asked who they wanted on the top spot of the 2008 Democratic ticket, 25 percent of the Democrats surveyed cited New York Senator Clinton, Gallup said.

Fifteen percent chose Massachusetts Senator John Kerry, who lost the November 2 US presidential election to George Bush , while seven percent opted for Kerry's running-mate, John Edwards.

Senator-elect Barack Obama of Illinois was the choice of three percent and former vice president Al Gore the selection of two percent, Gallup said.

Asked to choose between Clinton or Edwards, 55 percent chose Clinton while 39 percent opted for Edwards, it said.

On the Republican side, 10 percent put forward Giuliani, who earned praise for his leadership of New York following the September 11 attacks, and 10 percent went for Arizona Senator John McCain, who lost the 2000 Republican nomination to Bush.

Seven percent chose outgoing Secretary of State Colin Powell, while three percent selected President Bush's younger brother Jeb Bush, the governor of Florida.

Asked to choose between Giuliani, McCain and Jeb Bush, 47 percent chose Giuliani, 27 percent McCain and 17 percent Jeb Bush.

The poll of 465 Democrats and Democrat-leaning independents and 505 Republicans was carried out November 7-10 and had a margin of error of plus or minus five points.

Interesting. But what if Vilsak or Richardson runs in 2008, and thus gets the name recognition that they don't have now? The name recognition deal is a major factor now, but that could fade if they run, even if they are drafted. They could sew up the nomination-----and, perchance, at least be competitive in the general election. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Macfistowannabe said:
Lots of you might like Rudy...

If he were the Republican Candidate, I would have to vote third-party. He may bring people together, but he is pro-choice.

Millions like this poster would do the same.

Have Rudy run. Your values voters will stay home or vote third party, and the dems chances have just increased tenfold.

Thanks for the information. Arnold and Rudy are good leaders and all, but they are social liberals who just so happen to be Republican. I don't think that Rudy will keep his numbers up for four years, he will surely lose the Evangelical vote if he is nominated.

I think Pax is right that Rudy just isn't republican enough for his own good. I'm not doubting that he'd win an election. He's got a lot of liberal voters behind him. I do doubt that he will continue to appeal to Conservative America.

As for Arnold, I'm surprised how many democrats would like to see foreign-borns be allowed to run for president. I myself am not against the idea, but I don't see that revolution happening any time soon. When Arnold is tired of dealing with criticism from the press, and from very conservative voters, he probably won't be interested in politics by the time he's legal to run for president.

As this election proved, the conservative Christian vote is more critical for republicans than most people are willing to admit. I myself would vote third-party of either of them were nominated, and I'm sure that many conservative Christians wouldn't vote at all.

Back
Top Bottom