Which Republican Should Run In 2008?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MrsSpringsteen said:
No Jeb Bush! :yikes: though he does seem to be more tolerable than W :wink:

People in FL would know better than I would.
Please no Jeb! The world's obviously had enough of the Bush family. We don't need three freaking presidents with the same last name. We also don't need a Gulf War III.

McCain is the right guy, as far as I know. He's got bipartisan appeal, yet he appeals to most conservatives, if not all. He's admitted more mistakes in his party than anyone I've heard of. That just goes to show how honest he is.

Get rid of term limits for President!

Irvine511 said:
As a left wing, East Coast homosexual intellectual.... I could easily see myself voting for any of the following Republicans: Schwarzenegger, Guiliani, or McCain.... I'd likewise pass the ban on presidents only being able to serve 2 terms. 2 consecutive terms, yes, but someone should be able to run again... /B]

I agree 100%! "Term limits" can be executed at the ballot box! Arbitrarily removing someone from being a candidate is, IMO, un-constitutional. Get rid of the Presidential restriction. We all know why it was done: dying FDR, who should not have run, winning a 4th term and, then.... dying! That amendment, nonetheless, was unnecessary. The public learned from common sense w/o an amendement. The Republicans controlling both Houses of Congress could clear the way for George W. to run again -- and win again -- in 2012! :happy:

Last edited:
Re: Get rid of term limits for President!

Stonewall said:

I agree 100%! "Term limits" can be executed at the ballot box! Arbitrarily removing someone from being a candidate is, IMO, un-constitutional. Get rid of the Presidential restriction. We all know why it was done: dying FDR, who should not have run, winning a 4th term and, then.... dying! That amendment, nonetheless, was unnecessary. The public learned from common sense w/o an amendement. The Republicans controlling both Houses of Congress could clear the way for George W. to run again -- and win again -- in 2012! :happy:

you realize W would never have been able to lose to Gore and become president in 2000 if Clinton was not termed out.

Macfistowannabe said:
I myself would vote third-party of either of them were nominated, and I'm sure that many conservative Christians wouldn't vote at all.

If only moderate Republicans, pro-choice Republicans were as short-sighted W would not be president.

For 2008, the Republicans are going to nominate a candidate that is Pro-Life. Pro-choice will simply not work with the "base" and without the "base" its impossible to win the nomination. That means Rudy will not get it. I'd say its going to be:

McCain VS Jeb Bush

McCain is obviously the best candidate, but I give Jeb Bush the better odds of winning the nomination because of Southern Christians who were turned off by McCain and found W's faith more appealing. But I think McCain would have a better shot this time than last.

Florida was a battle ground state this time although the Kerry lost there by 5 points in the end. If Jeb Bush was candidate, Florida would be locked up, which would allow the Republicans to dump even more money into Ohio and probably take Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.

The Red States will have even more electoral votes in 2008 than this year because of continued population shifts to red states. The Democrats are going to need someone from the south who is not in the Federal Senate or House in order to be competitive in the 2008 election. A Democratic Governor from a Red State in the south would be their ideal man.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Is Jeb the right wing conservative Christian that W is? His father wasn't.
His father was a believer, but he didn't bring the faith issue to the table very often, as opposed to his son. And Jeb... he seems a lot like W, very conservative, but maybe a little more competent, but I don't think this Bush family formula will work for the republicans much longer. I favor the moderate pro-life republicans who can unite the country, protect its people, and refrain from war unless we have no other choice.

Flying FuManchu said:
Jeb says he won't run in 2008. I don't think it would be a good idea either. There is the whole "Bush dynasty thing" that turns people off. Jeb running in 2008 would only feed into it, although people seem to love a Kennedy dynasty.
Thank God Jeb isn't getting into this. As far as the Kennedys, Ted is the only one I can't stand. The rest of their family is respectful, sincere human beings. I find Ted to be an absolute jerk most of the time.

Macfistowannabe said:
His father was a believer, but he didn't bring the faith issue to the table very often, as opposed to his son. And Jeb... he seems a lot like W, very conservative, but maybe a little more competent, but I don't think this Bush family formula will work for the republicans much longer. I favor the moderate pro-life republicans who can unite the country, protect its people, and refrain from war unless we have no other choice.

The vast majority of the Republicans have been solidly behind supporting the war in Iraq and Afghanistan and view both as being a necessity in maintaining the security of this country. Only Republicans officials who tend to be more isolationist and libertarian in their views tend to be more critical of the foreign policy.

More experience than 9/11?

wolfwill23 said:
Rudy needs more experience if he's going to run. Maybe take on Hillary for her senate seat?
More experience than September 11th after he personally watched citizens jumping through the glass windows of skyscrapers with nearly 3,000 of his citizens murderedand over 10,000 seriously injured? In addition to his experience and qualifications stated above, RUDY made more decisions in an hour on September 11th than most mayors and governors have to make in a year. There were non-stop life and death decisions under the utmost stress and coordinating endless departments of city, state and federal government. The eyes of the world turned to one person: RUDY! No one in the world has the leadership skills, determination and experience possesed by RUDY!

Get rid of term limits for President!

deep said:
You realize W would never have been able to... in 2000 if Clinton was not termed out.
No, butt I'm sure that U realize -- though U wouldn't publicly admit it -- that the majority of Americans in November of 2000 (less than a month after the U.S. Cole ship was bombed with deaths of U.S. servicemen) were going to elect someone -- Bubba -- who had been "impeached" and who turned the Oval Office from White House to Whore House. Of course, U realize that -- U are so "deep", about as deep as Lee's press-on nails. :lmao:

Last edited:
Hm, Rudy and Condi. I doubt it. I cannot imagine them nominating a woman, even if she is the Secretary of State and smart as hell.

verte76 said:
Hm, Rudy and Condi. I doubt it. I cannot imagine them nominating a woman, even if she is the Secretary of State and smart as hell.
Ouch... I don't believe that the Republican Party is anti-woman just because they support birth (hence, pro-life - the majority anyways). I'm sorry you think that, but Condi is not respected among her own people, and she probably doesn't have the minority appeal from what I've heard. She's certainly a very bright, well-educated woman who deserves more respect than the rap she's been getting.

I don't think it's got anything to do with the pro-life issue. I can't see either party successfully getting a woman elected, even if she is #2. American voters aren't going to elect a ticket with a woman on it, I don't care who it is.

verte76 said:
I don't think it's got anything to do with the pro-life issue. I can't see either party successfully getting a woman elected, even if she is #2. American voters aren't going to elect a ticket with a woman on it, I don't care who it is.
Hillary Clinton has plenty of potential. For the republicans to nominate a woman, first you need a well-respected voice. Being that women are more liberal than men, it's hard to find a conservative woman who can get respect by most of her fellow females.

Hillary Clinton has plenty of potential, perhaps, but she isn't electable. She's too controversial and divisive. I think it's interesting that all the predictions about Hillary's candidacy are coming from the right. As a liberal, I don't want her for the Democratic nomination. That would be electoral disaster.

verte76 said:
Hillary Clinton has plenty of potential, perhaps, but she isn't electable. She's too controversial and divisive. I think it's interesting that all the predictions about Hillary's candidacy are coming from the right. As a liberal, I don't want her for the Democratic nomination. That would be electoral disaster.
Although I'd never vote Hillary, I'd be thrilled to see a female president in my lifetime.

McCain is probably ready to go. Some republicans feel its his turn, just like Dole was given the nomination.
In 2000 if it weren't for Bush's fathers connections and the resultant money, McCain would be president today.
Jeb will definitely run after the next cycle of a non-bush presidency.

barrett said:
McCain is probably ready to go. Some republicans feel its his turn, just like Dole was given the nomination.
In 2000 if it weren't for Bush's fathers connections and the resultant money, McCain would be president today.
Jeb will definitely run after the next cycle of a non-bush presidency.
I think McCain has the most potential, given that Rudy Guiliani is a social liberal. McCain took a stand against what he found to be immoral, negative advertising by his own party. Given he had a valid case, I have a lot of respect for him.

Isn't Jeb Bush Catholic? I thought he converted some time ago.

There will be Bush fatigue in 2008. Not a smart thing to put a third one on the campaign trail.

U2democrat said:
I've got it!!!!!

FALWELL/ROBERTSON 2008!!!!!!
:ohmy:

Good grief, talk about a nightmare ticket. Give me McCain or Guiliani if we are going to have a Republican. I don't think McCain is through with presidential politics. He could go all the way in 2008.

U2democrat said:
I've got it!!!!!

FALWELL/ROBERTSON 2008!!!!!!
How about some less sarcastic suggestions, maybe list a few people on the other side of the fence that you happen to admire.

Back
Top Bottom