Which Norwegian political party suits you? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2007, 02:09 PM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
I would venture a guess though that most Americans (present company excluded, although I would include myself) do not know as much about ONE other country as a tremendous amount of nonAmericans know about us.

well, i'd argue that i know as much about the UK as most people in the UK know about the US, and i'd also point out the fact that, at least in my public high school, i had two full years of European history, and one year of American history. why? because when you're talking about history, there's way, way more of it in Europe that has affected how the modern world works. i would absolutely say that European history is more "important" to understanding how the globe works than, say, America's relatively recent history.

this applies to modern culture/politics today. the US is ascendent. it's actions reverberate throughout the world. it's actors and actresses and rock stars prompt interest in American culture -- and i'd say that this applies to the UK as well as it's exported popular culture is enormously influential (the beatles? harry potter?) an interest in countries beyond those that do not directly affect your life is a botique interest born out of intellectual curiosity than self-interest.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:10 PM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:06 AM
Quote:
I would venture a guess though that most Americans (present company excluded, although I would include myself) do not know as much about ONE other country as a tremendous amount of nonAmericans know about us.
Like melon said, it's not a fair and even match. The whole world is fascinated with America so I'm not at all surprised that the rest of the world knows as much or more than the average American. In return, how is it fair to expect Americans to know everything about every country? LOL

But there is a lot of ignorance about the world here. I think it stems from the fact that most people are raised in a "America is the world" kinda mentality. Just take baseball for instance. World Series?

Old 09-09-2007, 02:10 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Okay...so I think I knew enough about Norwegian politics to answer this survey (although I, admittedly, answered in the "neutral" slot for a few of the questions):

The Liberal Party: One of Norway's more right-leaning "center" parties that supports tax relief but also a strong public sector, liberalized immigration and environmental protection measures.
My results are almost identical to yours. I'm interested in the question regarding whether the state should fund artificial insemination (or IVF I suppose) for lesbian couples. Does anyone know whether state funding is available for heterosexual couples in this regard? Because that would largely affect my answer.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:12 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i was making an ironic point, nothing against Norwegians in particular.

[q]And Americans are as guilty of doing so about us. Just think how France and Germany got critizised, and even attacked, for not participating on the invasion in Iraq. It was not only Rumsfeld or Bush who talked shit about us, you would hear hostilities like these also from normal citizens.[/q]

and those normal citizens were idiots and i called them as such in here.

i have gotten ample elections from Europeans. ample.

and all i'm trying to say is that it's all idiocy.
Yes, I know people who are that way myself. In general they are pretty left in their political view, and most I've met live in a world of ideology and out-of-this-world views I don't agree with either.

I think you will find those people everywhere, and unfortunately many of them are just seeking for opportunities to start a discussion.
America is in this unique position of being looked at by the world, influencing much of what's going on in other countries. Thus, many people feel qualified to give their opinion on what's going on in the US and some even have this sense of know-all superiority.

I also had the impression, the questionnaire being about Norway, that this thread wasn't meant to be too serious, but it was nice to see which questions are of concern in Norway. I love that country, but you hear so little about it.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:15 PM   #35
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Lecturing is idiotic.

However, people can have educated views about your foreign policy which very much affect them. ... And no, it's not idiocy to advocate for your own best interests where that is concerned.

i agree.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:15 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:06 PM
Quote:

well, i'd argue that i know as much about the UK as most people in the UK know about the US, and i'd also point out the fact that, at least in my public high school, i had two full years of European history, and one year of American history. why? because when you're talking about history, there's way, way more of it in Europe that has affected how the modern world works. i would absolutely say that European history is more "important" to understanding how the globe works than, say, America's relatively recent history.
I'd already excluded you from not knowing about other countries.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega

America is in this unique position of being looked at by the world, influencing much of what's going on in other countries. Thus, many people feel qualified to give their opinion on what's going on in the US and some even have this sense of know-all superiority.

this is all i'm trying to say.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:17 PM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I'd already excluded you from not knowing about other countries.

oh, i know -- was just using your post as a jumping off point.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:17 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:06 PM
Old 09-09-2007, 02:18 PM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier

so, yeah, back to Norwegian politics ...
Old 09-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:06 AM
OK, points settled.

Norwegian politics... their price level must decrease, so I can spend more holidays there.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
. Maybe you are particularly irked by Europeans for some reason

actually, i'm most irked by Canadians in Europe who wear maple leafs on every single article of clothing as if they had rinkside Olympic tickets for the gold medal game against Russia.

*that's* obnoxious.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:23 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:06 AM

So we essentially just spent the last 3 pages arguing only to realize that we're sort of agreeing with each other, just a difference of words.

So yeah, how are things in Norway? Now's as good a time as any to be enlightened
Old 09-09-2007, 02:31 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Like this question, for example. Who is "we" and what's the background to the question? I felt I couldn't answer this question at all, because I had no idea who "we" were, and why "we" weren't able to spend more of the revenues. Who is stopping "us"? Why are "we" being prevented from spending the revenues?

To those of you who had a definite opinion on this question: How did you know enough to vote?
questions like that had me stumped. i couldn't understand the context, thus didn't feel comfortable giving an opinion. i'm not usually neutral about issues, so i didn't want to even respond with that.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:32 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

actually, i'm most irked by Canadians in Europe who wear maple leafs on every single article of clothing as if they had rinkside Olympic tickets for the gold medal game against Russia.

*that's* obnoxious.

I can honestly tell you I met more AMERICANS wearing maple leafs in Europe than Canadians the last time I went....