Which is more powerful Love or Hate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally, I think the effects that hate can have and the events it can lead to are more powerful.

Last edited:
Hate. You can unite a nation around a perceived enemy, while "love" is seen as a sign of weakness.

Melon

Genuine love can overcome any hate. Hence, love is more powerful.

Love is more powerful on a personal level. Hate is more powerful on an impersonal level.

They are the same feeling. Love has a dark side, and it is called hate. That is literally what Star Wars was all about. In the end Luke chose to love his father instead of hate him.

True hate is born out of true love. If, god forbid, a loved one's life is taken, you might hate the culprit. That hate is born out of the love you had for your loved one. If you hate something or someone, it is because it/he/she goes against beliefs/things you love. They are the same thing. Should you give into the dark side of it, you will never be happy. However, the dark side is much more seductive and easier to embrace.

I'm telling you, this is the stuff Star Wars was all about.

Hate and love made the world and yourself as it is today. But since hating is easier to do than love, maybe love is more powerful since it takes a lot of strength and intelligence to do so

Last edited:
Love. I would say it hurts more to be let down by someone you love. I would also say that love can be much more uncontrollable, depending on what kind of love we are discussing. If it's love for people, it can be a very good thing, but for many, it takes effort to love everyone. I think love is a greater weapon.

If you found a way to make the weapon of 'love' as easy as using the weapon of 'hate' this world would be a much better place.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
If you found a way to make the weapon of 'love' as easy as using the weapon of 'hate' this world would be a much better place.
I think it's only achievable between the individual's ears. Let's say someone wrecklessly smashed into my car, for example. I could either throw a pissy fit or confront him in the most reserved way possible. There are times when it's a challenge to love other people, especially when they are careless about others.

there can be no 'weaopon of love' due to the situation of weapon being a tool used to hurt someone, so by definition, it is invalid.

obviously hate is stronger. because people have always looked for better weapons to use on their enemies and blind hate turns out to be the perfect one.

all_i_want said:
there can be no 'weaopon of love' due to the situation of weapon being a tool used to hurt someone, so by definition, it is invalid.

Tools of defense also.

Actually it's a reference to a Martin Luther King Jr speach.

Meet my friend, dictionary.com

op·ti·mism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pt-mzm)
n.
A tendency to expect the best possible outcome or dwell on the most hopeful aspects of a situation: “There is a touch of optimism in every worry about one's own moral cleanliness” (Victoria Ocampo).
Philosophy.
The doctrine, asserted by Leibnitz, that this world is the best of all possible worlds.
The belief that the universe is improving and that good will ultimately triumph over evil.

pes·si·mism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ps-mzm)
n.
A tendency to stress the negative or unfavorable or to take the gloomiest possible view: “We have seen too much defeatism, too much pessimism, too much of a negative approach” (Margo Jones).
The doctrine or belief that this is the worst of all possible worlds and that all things ultimately tend toward evil.
The doctrine or belief that the evil in the world outweighs the good.

i think hate is more powerful----look at the world, it's getting worse with each day, there are more wars now than years ago,it's just we got "used to them", we became less sensitive.
It's really dull to read in my newspaper every day on page 1:
about Bush and his wars, about conquering peace in Middle East,about "threats" from N.Korea and such!Bolllocks

I'd say hate is (sadly) more powerful :sad:

(I love this song)
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

I guess even though I have a hard time believing real love exists that I think love is stronger.

hate is often fleeting, when the person that has hate is exposed and becomes educated about what they hate the hate is often tempered.

Love on the other hand is something that comes about with patience and understanding and therefore stands a much smaller risk than hate of fading away with time.

Hate is like a fire, at first it seems violent and powerful but eventually it runs out of fuel and burns out.

Love is like the ocean, sometimes seeming tranquil. But it is always there, changing and shaping all that it touches.

tilen said:
i think hate is more powerful----look at the world, it's getting worse with each day, there are more wars now than years ago,it's just we got "used to them", we became less sensitive.
It's really dull to read in my newspaper every day on page 1:
about Bush and his wars, about conquering peace in Middle East,about "threats" from N.Korea and such!Bolllocks

Despite how it might look, that is far from the truth. Europe was at nearly constant war with itself for nearly a thousand years. And the monumental destruction of the first and second world wars has yet to be revisited, thankfully.

Unfortunately now, probably hate. It's easier to do, it's more common, and its sheer power of destruction is downright scary. Maybe I'm too cynical, I'm just overwhelmed by all of the hate out there and love only exists in a few certain places.

If I may make an example of sorts, it's not hard to hate. I can rip a piece of paper in two. That's simple. But can I put the piece of paper back together and make it so that it was never ripped? No, I can't. But love can do that, I've experienced it in my own life. Love is more powerful, but it's a whole lot easier to hate.

Hate is more powerful in the world today according to God. Because all of us are born with sin nature and few of us go to Jesus to have ourselves cleansed of it.

shart1780 said:
Hate is more powerful in the world today according to God. Because all of us are born with sin nature and few of us go to Jesus to have ourselves cleansed of it.

First of all are you saying one can't love without Jesus or God?

Also, how does what you say equate to "hate is more powerful according to God"?:huh:

Back
Top Bottom