Which Bible does Bush read ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Scot

The Fly
Unfamiliar with Bush's Bible
by Warren Hynson
Technician (North Carolina State University) 11-17-2005

It was Gandhi who once said, "He who says that religion and politics don't mix understands neither one." Our "Leader of the Free World," President George W. Bush, is a deeply committed Christian. I am not writing about his personal relationship with Christ -- that is only between him and God. He has discussed his faith publicly, many times, and has more often than not included passages from Scripture and hymns in his numerous speeches and addresses. Bush has been labeled by many as the most openly religious president in many generations, if not ever.

As I said earlier, I am not questioning our president's faith, only the role it seems to play in our nation's foreign and domestic policy. The book of James says, "faith without deeds is useless," and also that "a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone." So I am only left to wonder where in the Word of God does our faithful president find evidence that supports some of our nation's public policies? Certainly not in any Bible that I have ever read. In fact, not only would Scripture not justify some of our government's plans, it would actually call us to correct them. Just last week in the House of Representatives, a bill was proposed to modify its budget. This included cuts of $9.5 billion in Medicare, $8 billion in foster care and aid to the disabled and finally $844 million in the Food Stamps Program. Thus an estimated 300,000 people will no longer be receiving any help to put food on the table and 40,000 underprivileged children will be cut from reduced-price school lunches.

I am confident there is nothing in the Bible that justifies such policies. Especially when Jesus says, "As you've done to the least of these, you have done to me," and that is not to mention the other 2,000 verses referencing the poor in the Bible. Bush has admitted he doesn't know much about the poor. He has been quoted as saying, "I don't understand poor people. I don't live and never have lived around poor people. I don't know [how] poor people think. Frankly, I'm a white Republican guy who just doesn't get it. But I'd like to. How do I get it? How do I understand?" Well, if you really want to know, get to know the poor, because to Jesus, they are the ones who are blessed and to whom the Kingdom of God belongs.

On Ellis Island, on the first anniversary of Sept. 11, Bush talked about how America stands as a beacon of light to the world, and the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. That is found in the Gospel of John. But the light mentioned there is quite different from the light that the president was speaking of. It is the word of God and the light of Christ, not the flare of American freedom. So now Scripture is being altered and choreographed into what will best accommodate Bush's plans and policies for the people of America. Jim Wallis, founder and editor of Sojourners, says, "It confuses American civil religion and biblical faith. It confuses God's purposes with the best interests for American foreign policy." As a Christian, I abhor the idea of God's word being used as a safety blanket to assure the people of America that God would want us to do this or that.

Walter Slayer, a reporter from The Dallas Morning News, has closely followed Bush's political career and talked privately with him about his faith. He notes that Bush has privately admitted that clearly, he is a person chosen by God at this particular point in time to represent the interests, not only of a nation, but the guidance of God at a troubled time in the country. If Bush wishes to think he has been divinely called to lead this nation, fine; he can think whatever he wants. But I believe God did not call him to take advantage of the poor or put him in the pulpit of our National Cathedral to call the nation to arms with his war propaganda that claimed our "divine mission to rid the world of evil." Without the president's reminder, I almost forgot God was American. Not only does that constitute dangerous policy but more importantly dangerous theology -- something a man of sincere faith should be greatly concerned with.

Excellent article

John Kerry raised some similar questions recently, regarding the budget, domestic policies, etc. It's easy to invoke God when you're trying to justify certain things, it's much more difficult to follow through with his message in every aspect of your political life - even when it's not politically expedient to do so.

edgeboy said:
...Once again liberals throwing stones.:|

It's probably out of frustration from all the stones that the Religious Right throws on a regular basis.

Melon

edgeboy said:

Absolutely. Those stinking hippies are always quoting him saying he is being directed by God! I mean, what's that??? Bush should be allowed to say whatever he wants without some confused Liberal trying to upset the confused CR.

edgeboy said:

Yep - definitely agree. Why, I heard Clinton repeatedly say how God wanted him to have oral sex while in office! Poor Bill had no choice! :yes:

And, of course, having sex in office and lying about it to protect a marriage is impeachable. But lying to the public about a war and how one is "chosen by God" to lead said war - why, that's not impeachable at all. But it is crazy. Only in the U.S. can one religious zealout lead a war against other religious zealots and be elected a leader! :yes:

Toby_young.jpg

On a rather irrelevant side tangent related to that picture I posted, I'm always intrigued how the nature of Jesus is present to children versus adults. For children, Jesus is always very nonthreatening and apolitical. Nothing but an appearance of unconditional love.

Then, for adults, you get the image of a sword-swinging, warmongering fascist that insists on unquestioning compliance, who is always short on cash and hates two-thirds of the world.

Of course, I'm always reminded of Matthew 18:1-4, which talks about the faith of a child. I know that the conventional interpretation supports exactly what I'm against--unquestioning faith in elders (even if those same "elders" are little more than false prophets)--but I have to wonder if it really means we've just made faith way too complicated and legalistic. 2000 years ago, the legalism of the Pharisees was rejected. And 2000 years later, we just managed to rebuild it all over again.

Anyway, I'm resigned to the world having gone completely mad. I sometimes wonder if I was meant for an alternate dimension...

Melon

melon said:
On a rather irrelevant side tangent related to that picture I posted, I'm always intrigued how the nature of Jesus is present to children versus adults. For children, Jesus is always very nonthreatening and apolitical. Nothing but an appearance of unconditional love.

Then, for adults, you get the image of a sword-swinging, warmongering fascist that insists on unquestioning compliance, who is always short on cash and hates two-thirds of the world.

Of course, I'm always reminded of Matthew 18:1-4, which talks about the faith of a child.

I always find it a little creepy when I'm reading what someone wrote, and I think about their thought process, and then they write exactly what I was thinking I would write next. After finishing the second paragraph, I thought, "Yeah, that's where faith like a child would . . ." Oh wait. You were about to say that.

Almost feels like they're inside my head. :huh:

We teach our children to love each other, to share, and that God is peaceful.

As adults we hold guns for disputes, we whine about taxes, and God supports war.

Harry Vest said:
The "Religious Right" could very possibly be the forces of the AntiChrist...seriously.
i loved this....bono also said he'd shake hands with the devil to help eliminate extreme poverty, and well he has shaken the hands of pat robertson...hmmm

I don't usually post here but I have to respond to Melon's post. I'm an adult and I still see Jesus as the man who died on the cross for me. To me, that is a pretty loving man and I will hold to this for all my life. I don't see Jesus as the reason for all evil in the world. I wish I could have all the answers for why evil happens, but I know I am not a Christian who would say something stupid like, "New Orleans was a nasty evil city anyway and God wanted it gone." I dont believe that, that's horrible. I struggle with why every day, I have ever since I took Christianity seriously.

I won't go any further since this isn't the right place, but I am a Christian, I don't think Bush is a great president or that the war is a success. But every thread about the war or about Bush goes into this somewhat Christian bashing and I really wanted to let all you people that there are some "Conservative Christians" out there who don't really think Bush is the best president out there too.

Sorry, but I really wanted you to know there are Christians out there who see the world differently than the so called "prototype."
Thanks for letting me visit.
Phil

Back
Top Bottom