Where were you? (WTC related) - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2002, 04:45 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:10 AM
I was waking up because my alarm clock wouldnt shut off and then all of sudden Rick Dees said that the WTC was hit by a plane. At first I thought it was some kind of cruel joke that he was playing then, He that this is not a joke. Remember then going out to where my parents were eating breakfast and i told them they didnt believe me and so my mom turned on the TV and there it was. I will always have that in my head.

Old 07-09-2002, 05:29 PM   #17
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:10 AM
I was in NYC up by Mt. sinai hospital visiting my father. My mom, sister and I went to the hospitals cafeteria and heard some guy taking about the Twin Towers being On fire. We thought he was crazy, well obviously he wasn't and we got up to my fathers room a few minutes before the second plane hit. Scary stuff...

Old 07-09-2002, 06:16 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I really did not mean to bring back bad memories, but whenever a plane flies over New York (I still do not understand why they are allowed to) I get really bad memories. When I hear a plane go over head that is the thing I think of first, and when I see one fly past a skyscraper (well beyond of course) I just remember the images...

All this and it happened about 10 months ago.

Not good, not good at all...
Old 07-09-2002, 06:25 PM   #19
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

Local Time: 08:10 AM
I was still in bed, half asleep, hitting the snooze alarm every few minutes, not wanting to get up. The phone rang. I didn't run to anser it cuz I was still half asleep so I let the answering machine get it. My answering machine is in my living room, so I couldn't hear all of the message as it recorded, but I heard my mom's voice saying something about my brother and sister-in-law were ok. At that point I had no idea what had happened.

My brother and sister-in-law live in New York City just 2 miles north of the WTC. My brother takes the subway down to the WTC area every morning and takes the ferry across to Jersey City where he is working on a building project (he is an architect).

I knew something had happened, by the tone of my mom's voice, but I wasn't sure what. At first I thought something with the subway. I got up out of bed, because I knew it was unusual for my mom to call me in the morning during the week. She knows I like to sleep late, so she doesnt call me before 9am. Before I even listened to the answering machine message my mom had left, I instinctively turned on CNN to see if there were any reports.

I remember them saying something about the WTC. All I saw was smoke and couldn't see the buildings. I was still trying to figure out what had happened. I immediately called my mom and dad. I remember asking my mom what had happened, what I was going on (they were watching CNN too) and I remember my mom saying the WTC was gone and how at first I couldn't believe it.

My mom said that she was able to get a call through to my brother. Luckily my brother hadn't even gone to work yet that day. He had a meeting at work at noon so he didnt have to be there until then so he wasn't anywhere near the area. When the first plane hit, my sister-in-law had just left their apartment and was at the corner deli getting a cup of coffee on her way to work. She heard about it on the news at the deli and ran home to tell my brother about it. My brother said that he went up on the rooftop of their apartment building and could see the smoke rising from the towers.

I have visited my brother many times in NYC. We had stayed at the Marriott Financial Center, which was the next block over from the WTC at Thanksgiving the year before. A year before that we had even stayed at the Marriott at the WTC.

My parents went to NYC to visit my brother just about 2 weeks ago. It was amazing to see the pictures they brought back.
Old 07-09-2002, 07:00 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I too am an architect, where does your brother work???
Old 07-09-2002, 07:49 PM   #21
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

Local Time: 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ouizy
I too am an architect, where does your brother work???
HLW
Old 07-09-2002, 07:55 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

I was sleeping, since I didn't have any classes on tuesdays last year. Somebody woke me up once the second plane hit, and then I think I watched the news for the remainder of the day, in a sort of trance.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:56 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
I had just woken up and turned on the TV after the first plane hit. I was watching Good Morning America and they were saying that they believe a plane flew into the WTC. My initial thought was "Damn, someone sure got lost." As I was watching the second plane hit, I realized that they were not lost after all.

I immediately got on the phone to family members to make sure no one was in the area, thankfully they weren't.

I just sat there, numb watching the towers burn on TV, thinking to myself how are they gotta put this fire out being so high up.

Then news came in about some type of fire or bomb in Washington. I made another round of calls to make sure no family/friends were in the Washington area.

I had the day off from work, and I sat and watched the television coverage all day dumbstuck.

I remember it was a nice warm day, yet I still curled up in my blanket, freezing.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:13 PM   #24
Banned

Local Time: 06:10 AM

Fascinating thread.
I was asleep on a chair in my old abandoned house with my doggie next to me. Since there was no power I couldnt watch TV, and we had to get up shorty after dawn and get the hell outta there before anyone saw us.
So, we left, and after we got aways away, I turned on my walkman and the morning talk shows were on. I heard Mark & Brian tell everyone to stay calm, and that hopefully this is it, its over, there isnt going to be any more.
These guys are goofballs, and are always on with the gags. So I assumed thats what it was, a joke of some sort.
They just kept talking and I had no idea what the hell was going on, but as time wore on, I began to realize that this wasnt a joke, something serious had happened.
It was a very long time before they recapped, so i stayed confused for a while, but when they finally did mention what had just taken place, my only reaction was just sheer shock, confusion, disbelief, and horror.
I just talked to everyone I could about what had gone on.
Just so very surreal. It still is.

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

^^ Life's a bitch, so i became one ^^
Old 07-09-2002, 10:37 PM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 10:10 AM
I was on my way to Target when I heard about the first plane on the news. Then I heard about the 2nd plane as it happened and realized that what was going on was deliberate. I started bawling, but continued on my errand. It was strange to be in the store and while I thought it was so unimportant to get whatever it was that I went there for, I didn't know what else to do. Most of the people in the store were at the electonics department watching the tv's.

I got home and turned on the tv, but I didn't call anyone. I wasn't worried about anyone in particular and didn't feel like talking about it. I look back and think it strange that I didn't want to reach out to people (especially my husband) at the time.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:13 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Had just got to work about 8:30. A coworker was on tehphone w/her sister, when she jumped up and said, "You guys! A plane hit one of the Trade Center towers!" We were all like, woah....but we all assumed it was a small Cessna-type plane. Then a few minutes later, she jumps up again and yells, "OMG! Another plane hit the OTHER tower!"

By this time, people were in "scurry" mode - everyone is running around getting to their PCs trying to get some info, calling people, trying to locate radios....I was in back to back cubes with someone, and we both had radios. We must have had 20 people crammed into our cubes listening to the news. I finally got to CNN, and WOW. Was amazed, saddened and shaken....when I finally got the video clip to play, we all sat there with our mouths open, we could not believe what we were watching.

Our VP called an impromptu meeting, and sent us all home. I drove home in a complete fog, looking at the very FEW other people on the roads, also driving around in their own fogs....

I stayed absolutely glued to the TV the entire rest of the day. One of the eeriest things was when the local news showed vids of downtown Dallas - usually crammed with cars, buses, people.....and they were absolutely EMPTY.

I remember feeling very emotional, and I cried, but I could not tear myself from the television....really a weird sensation....absolutely surreal....

Old 07-10-2002, 01:00 AM   #27
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:10 AM
New York is a difficult place to live. --my popular culture professor on 9/11, before anyone knew about the WTC

I was walking from one building to another on my school's campus after my 9:30 a.m. class, on my way to my 11:00 a.m. class. I had pretty much rolled out of bed and into class that morning, and I didn't own a TV at the time, so it was almost 11 a.m. and I still had no idea.

My 11 a.m. class was metaphysics, and it was a small class and everyone got along well. Usually before class, everyone would be talking and drawing on the board and stuff. But when I walked in, the radio was blaring and everyone was silent. And I heard about the towers, and the Pentagon, and everything. And I honestly thought it was the end of the world.

I go to a Catholic school, so the president of my college held a Mass at noon. After Mass, he found out that the campus had received bomb threats, so all the buildings were evacuated--even the res halls, which meant I couldn't go into what was for all intents and purposes my home all afternoon.

The chapel was cleared right away, and there's an auditorium built onto our campus ministry center, so a lot of people were in there watching CNN together. We had Taize prayer that evening, and I watched a lot of news.

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-10-2002, 06:34 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:10 PM
I was at work, surfing the internet, in another forum. There was a thread "Plane hits WTC", sth. like five minutes after the first attack. Inside, it was just written "This is no joke. Turn on the TV." I tried to reach the website of the White House, the C.I.A., the N.S.A.

No chance. All U.S. URLīs were not reachable from here for some time, possibly because a switch in NYC collapsed due to the attack (official version). Also the forum was down. No news in Europe yet. I went to one of our managers, said "I think there is happening a big tragedy."

Then, some internet sites started to function. Pictures of the second plane that had just hit the tower. I called my ex-girlfriend at home to tell her to turn on the T.V. She was shocked. I was relatively calm... there were rumours about a plane heading to Europe, rumours about the plane to Camp David, rumours about a mysterious fifth plane somewhere in U.S.

I didnīt get hysterical, but I had fear. I thought "If the third world war ever breaks out thatīs it". I expected that news about missiles would soon come in. But they didnīt. I stayed at work, looking at the tragedy online.

Then, I got home... watching the T.V. with the same pictures always repeating, in disbelief. I wondered that they spoke of 5,000 deaths, thought "This is not possible. Iīve been there, Iīve seen the building... and if it collapsed...". I was surprised that the responsible person for this attack was found so fast, was surprised that the N.S.A. with all their techno couldnīt locate him. Lots of discussions with friends and family.

I felt like in a bad dream for some days... one of the things that kind of "woke me up", was the great concert. Wyclef Jean playing "Redemption Song" gave me hope. U2, Billy,... Jack was not joining the chorus in the last song. I thought to the movie "Wag the Dog". I was hoping U.S. citizens would engage more in civil society from then on to influence their countryīs policy.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:33 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by ouizy
I really did not mean to bring back bad memories, but whenever a plane flies over New York (I still do not understand why they are allowed to) I get really bad memories. When I hear a plane go over head that is the thing I think of first, and when I see one fly past a skyscraper (well beyond of course) I just remember the images...

All this and it happened about 10 months ago.

Not good, not good at all...
There is no time limit on the process of healing ... I think that there are many of us, whether we live in NYC of some small town in Montanna, we're looking at airplanes a lot diffeently than we did 10 months ago.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:09 PM   #30
The Fly

Local Time: 02:10 PM
I was out shopping with my Mum - it was about 3 PM here. I remember I was flicking through the channels on the car radio on the way back, and I caught about two seconds of someone saying something about a plane crash, but I didn't catch where it was or anyhting. I think I must have turned the radio off after that.

When I got back home I came to interference, and there was this thread with lots of replies called "turn on your TV now!" or something. I distinctly remember thinking as I clicked on it that it was a bit stupid of whoever posted it not to say what channel or country. I read the first few replies and I couldn't work out what was going on, so I ran to turn on the TV. This was after both towers had fallen. I just couldn't believe it when I saw what had happened. That was the only time in my life I seriously thought I was dreaming.