Where were you 6 years ago today? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 09-11-2007, 04:34 PM   #16
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator
Local Time: 04:48 PM
Originally posted by diamond
I woke to and logged on to interference.Com and began reading threads like these where I first found out about 9-11.

I think this is the thread you may have been looking for.

I was at work and found out from that thread. Then of course looked online and saw what was going on.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:39 PM   #17
love, blood, life
Local Time: 04:48 PM

Originally posted by Sicy

I think this is the thread you may have been looking for.

I was at work and found out from that thread. Then of course looked online and saw what was going on.
Yep, that's the one.

That was back when we used to AIM-P/M eachother all day long.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:51 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Location: Somewhere between The Edge, Matt Bellamy and Brian Fallon
Local Time: 07:48 PM
It was my 4th day at my new job and I was working off-site at our clients company, about an hour and half away from the office. Being the early bird that I was, I went to the clients office and was confined to a little conference room around 8am.

As time went on, I was wondering why no one else from the office was showing up. I attempted to call, and no one answered, and "all circuits were busy." I peered my head out of the conference room and heard all sorts of chatter and didn't quite understand what was going on. I headed out to my car in the parking lot to use my cell phone where I then heard construction workers talking about how "....it's right out of a movie...." I finally got a hold of my father who had told me what was going on. I decided to hit the road and head home. Not knowing what was going to happen next, I made my journey back up the Garden State Parkway. After I got home I checked in with my dad. Turned out that my brother was in the city that morning, but luckily he was in and out prior to any of the events. I also spent some time trying to phone my ex-fiancee's mother to see if he was safe as he was working at the Pentagon. He too was ok. I spent the remainder of the day with a friend glued to the television set wondering what had just happened and if it would happen again. It was incredibly eerie not hearing any cars on the road or any airplanes nor trains. The silence was scary.

I live about a block from a train station that has a direct rail into the city. It was hard to see all the commuter cars that still remained in the parking lot.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:23 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 06:48 PM
I was at school, junior year of HS, in German class, turned 16 that day....
Old 09-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #20
War Child
I was in Math class, in the 8th grade. The class ended, and I went to English. The kids were talking in the halls about how a plane had hit the Pentagon. My class and me listened to the radio and heard all about the planes hitting the World Trade Centers. I walkled home at noon (we had a short day week, it being the first week of school) and remember how silent it was, there were no planes flying at all. There was news on it on ever channel of the TV, and my family and I watched it for most of the day. I asked my dad if this ment that we were going to war, and he said that we already in it, starting 9-11.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:44 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
It was the beginning of my Junior year of high school. I took a vocational IT(Information Technology) block class, meaning it was three periods long - the first three periods of the day. We were in a tech-y classroom, with no windows, sort of a bunker-ish atmosphere. So, after returning to the classroom after the break between second and third period, just a little before ten, one of my classmates said that this other kid had been running around the halls during the break saying something about Washington D.C. being evacuated. This kid(the one that was running around) was known to be a goof-off, though, and no one quite took him seriously, although interest was peaked. And then, during third period, one of the other tech teachers(not that one that taught my class) stuck her head in the door and said 'They got the Pentagon too.' And we didn't know who 'they' were, and more importantly we didn't know what she meant by 'too'. At this point, a few of us logged onto CNN.com(being an IT/Tech class, we all sat at computers all class long), and saw a headline about a plane flying into the WTC. And then my teacher's girlfriend at the time called him at the classroom, very upset, to tell him that the towers had collapsed. Soon after this, third period ended, meaning end of IT for the day. None of us knew what the hell was going on at this point. Like, what do you mean, collapsed? You mean it's GONE? What the fuck are you talking about? I think most of us - certainly myself - first pictured the towers falling OVER, like dominos, and not straight down.

So then, I went to fourth period, English - by now it's 11-ish. This was in a more normal classroom. She(the English teacher) had the TV on. The TV in the classroom was in the upper corner above the door, so when you enter the room, you don't see the TV until you turn around. I hadn't seen any actual pictures or video of what NYC looked like at that point yet. Nothing, NOTHING, could have prepared me for what I was about to see.

I will never forget walking into that room, hearing-but-not-seeing the commotion on the TV, turning my head to look at the TV, and seeing the huge black cloud over NYC. I walked to my desk and sat down, somewhat in shock. The English teacher decided to scrap her lesson plans and just let us watch the footage. I sat there pretty much motionless, watching (for the first time at that point) the replays of the planes crashing into the towers, and then the towers falling down. I watched as they started talking about Bin Laden and about the Embassy in Africa Al Queda had attacked somewhat recently earlier. I thought, 'He did this?! The same guy?!'

Fifth period was American History. Lesson plans scrapped again, although instead of watching the footage, the teacher decided to just start a class conversation about what was going on, the significance of it, why anybody would do this, etc. To be honest, my memory of that period that day is very foggy.

After that was lunch. I don't remember eating(I know I did though), but I remember after eating, walking around the halls, killing time before sixth period, and at the beginning of sixth period, some people were crying, some people were scared about loved ones, that kind of thing. The inital shock was beginning to wear off and fear was setting in.

I myself have a brother who was living and working(and still is living and working) in the financial district of NYC(not the WTC though, a ways away), and I didn't know if he was ok or not.

Sixth period was trigonomotry, but I really remember very little of it, accept that, while a good portion of the students were discussing it, the trig teacher pretty much didn't say a word about it, he just taught the class like normal.

Seventh period was the last of the day, and it was Orchestra. The Orchestra teachers didn't say a single word about it. At the time, I was sort of bewildered because I didn't understand how you could ignore it, but looking back, I sort of get the feeling that they were very intentionally ignoring it because they figured that rather than scare us even more, and rather than try to say something about something for which there were no words at the time, the best thing to do was to teach class like normal.

So, then I went home, and my mother had the TV on, and she informed me that my brother had made contact and that he was ok, completely unharmed, but that he had seen one of the planes hitting one of the towers right as he was coming out of a subway tunnel that morning.

I went outside at around 5 that afternoon, just to hit a tennis ball around and get some air, and while I was outside, I heard a BIG 'BOOOOOOOOOM' come from the sky. I immediatly went inside. My mom had heard it too. There was some real fear for a minute or two. The local news(which of course was only covering the attacks) almost immediatly picked up on it and informed us that that boom was just a sonic boom from a plane that had taken off from the base(Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, where we live), that was going to Washington or NYC(I can't remember which) for rescue efforts of some sort.

For the rest of the day, I pretty much alternated between watching the news - It was the only time I can EVER remember that even MTV and VH1 preempted all of their programming to cover real news - and listening to music - mostly U2, and mostly ATYCLB at that, since it was still pretty recent. Seems like it resonated with the events almost immediatly. I still can't always dissociate that record from 9/11.

So that's pretty much it
Old 09-11-2007, 05:46 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 11:48 PM
I was working as a legislative research assistant in a Congressional office in DC. The congressman sent us home before the Capitol complex was officially evacuated and walked to a coworker's house near Union Station where we watched the news all day.

By the way, here's last year's thread: http://forum.interference.com/t164887.html
Old 09-11-2007, 06:17 PM   #23
New Yorker
Location: mainly in my fantasy land.....ooooo how I wish it were reality
Local Time: 05:48 PM
I don't think it was cloudy or rainy anywhere in the States that day, was it? From what I remember, I think it was a beautiful day across the Nation. Today was the same way here in Chicago.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 12:48 AM
In Australia, local time, it was actually pretty late at night on the 11th, about 10.30-11pm I think. I had been just hanging at a friends apartment, with the tv on in the background.

His apartment is actually under a flight path, the planes fly straight over the top - quite high still - and then we can watch them from there fly all the way in to the airport. From the angle we are on it looks like they are on a straight course for the Sydney CBD, and because the apartment building is both tall and up on a hill, the planes actually become 'lower' than us pretty quickly, or at least appear to be, and look like they're going down too early, if you no what I mean. A visual trick that makes them look like they're either going to land on an expressway a few miles from the apartment, or smack straight into the CBD.

The very weird thing is only the weekend before we had been out on his verandah having a few drinks and were wondering out loud what kind of damage a large plane would do either to his apartment building or one of the city towers should it hit one. If it hit the back of his building, would we be immediately f*cked sitting there on the verandah at the front? If it hit one of the CBD towers, what damage would it do? Could it knock one down? And even the question that became very scary a few days later, I think prompted by the depressed Egyptian (?) pilot who not that long beforehand had committed suicide by taking his commercial airliner and all it's passengers down with him - would someone do it deliberately?

Anyway, on the 11th I left his place for the short 5min drive home to mine, and literally as I was pulling out of his carpark he buzzed me on my phone and said that on tv they'd crossed to live footage of the WTC - a plane had hit it. At that time they were reporting that it was a smallish plane, not an airliner, and the 2nd plane had not yet hit. He actually told me what he was looking at, and we were admittedly kind of lighthearded about it ("Weird that we were talking about this just the other day - so what kind of damage has it done?") A few minutes later I was home, flicked on the tv, and the second plane hit.

It was a very strange day the next day because about half of Sydney had been up at 11pm and caught the news then, and of course watched it all unfold throughout the night. I was up till about 5am. The other half had just woken up to all of this - both WTC planes, Pentagon, the 3rd one crashing, a full day of news and responses from the US - and dealing with trying to absorb it all in one go.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict
Location: At Tim Horton's with Kristen and Val talking about Tan Adam and fashion disasters.
I was in my second grade classroom when the guidence teacher came in and told us that something very bad had happened. I had no idea what.
When I got home, my mom told me that we had to go to church on Sunday. I saw the towers on the TV but I still didn't know what was going on.
A year later I understood what had REALLY happened.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:45 PM   #26
The Fly
Local Time: 11:48 PM
I remember just completing my morning aerobics session when I got a call from my mom.
She said "we as a nation are under attack, the world trade center has been bombed and thousands of people are dead".
I then turned on the tvto CNN where they showed the second tower had been hit .
Old 09-11-2007, 07:57 PM   #27
Blue Crack Distributor
Local Time: 03:48 PM
I usually sleep in til maybe 9-10:30am, but that day I had to get up because my housecleaners were going to come early So I woke up and turned the TV on at about 8:30am, and was in total shock. I was waiting for my husband to come home after dropping my daughter off at school, and I believe that's when he found out about it from other parents. I was glued to the TV the rest of the day. Tried coming online, but was in a fog, and just couldn't deal with attempting to work or taking calls, etc.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:40 PM   #28
War Child
Originally posted by Kiki
I don't think it was cloudy or rainy anywhere in the States that day, was it? From what I remember, I think it was a beautiful day across the Nation. Today was the same way here in Chicago.
It really a beautiful day that day, at lease in DE. It was raining today up in CT.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:56 PM   #29
love, blood, life
I was in my High School french class in southeastern PA, when our teacher left the class to confer with another staff member outside the door who had come by the class. At that time all they knew was that a small plane had crashed into the WTC.

In my mind I was thinking of the bomber plane which crashed into the Empire State Building in the 30s I believe. An accident, not a catastrophe.

Immediately all the TVs were on in all the classrooms and we all just sat there and watched. Some of us were silent, some were on the verge of crying, some made nervous jokes.

It just was very surreal. When the second plane hit it still didn't really sink in. When the towers collapsed we just sat there in silence. For me, I just didn't factor in all the people that died in that instant. It was very materially-oriented and I just registered it as a building collapsing like a CGI one does in a film, at first.

We were sent home by noon, and I just sat in the living room in front of our TV as the gravity of the events set in motion hit me.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:03 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict
Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
I was getting ready to walk out the door for work. I took one look at the TV before heading out to drop off clothes at the dry cleaners for a scheduled flight to LA the following morning. I looked at the TV one last time and saw the first tower was on fire and thought that is strange that a plane could hit that building, and thought the news reporters in NY had it wrong. I then left the house. I was at the cleaners telling them I needed my suits by that afternoon, when my friend at the office called to tell me to turn on my car radio. I rushed into work freaked out after hearing the radio announcers report the events as they were unfolding. I was worried about my cousins who were living and working in Manhattan (Thankfully they were fine). I walked into the plaza of the office building and heard lots of sobbing and watched people go into panic modes because they had loved ones working in the towers and near by. As soon as I turned around to look at the TV that was in the lobby, the news coverage cut to the Pentagon. I rushed upstairs to my office to see if any of my coworkers from our Boston office were on any of the flights and if they had been accounted for. Thankfully they were not on any of those flights despite the fact that at least one of them were scheduled to be on one of the hijacked flights. It was a very scary moment.

I left work about an hour later and was met with an eerie silence outside. The skies in Atlanta are always loud and busy with planes flying in and out from Hartsfield and the surrounding airports. The electronic billboards on the highways announced there was a national emergency and at that moment tears formed in my eyes. The only planes I could see flying above me were the fighter planes from Dobbins Air Reserve Base. I cried all the way home. The night before I took my sister out for her birthday to see phantom of the Opera. I never felt so much happiness for buying this gift for my sister. I wanted to share my story to my friends the following morning and never got the chance to do so that day. I was 26 years old. There is my memory of that day.