Where the most charitable people live in the USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So what exactly does that prove, that people in red states are more charitable and thus better people somehow? Is charity a competition?

Isn't Michelle Malkin just the kinder, gentler Ann Coulter?

UberBeaver said:
So, dumb people give to charity? Go figure.
bono.jpg

dbs

There is the basic philosophical difference that has existed for decades. Do you give directly to charity, or do you rely on the government to tax you for charity?

nbcrusader said:
There is the basic philosophical difference that has existed for decades. Do you give directly to charity, or do you rely on the government to tax you for charity?

or, do you feel that individual charity is never enough, and that only government has the organizational capacity to tackle systemic issues rooted deep in history?

i think it's possible to do both, and that some issues are better address via individuals and other issues are best addressed via government programs.

^ take a look at the poster, and take a look at the writer's screamfest of a blog (Michelle Malkin is easily the 2nd most shrill woman on the Right, after Ms. Coulter), and i think we can take this thread with a wink and a nod.

Irvine511 said:
or, do you feel that individual charity is never enough, and that only government has the organizational capacity to tackle systemic issues rooted deep in history?

Some charity, individual or government, may never be enough.

The administrative load and overwhelming self-regulation makes the government rather inefficient at tackling such issues.

And the chart really is a measure of who "does both" as all citizens pay taxes, but some tend to contribute on an individual basis as well.

nbcrusader said:
And the chart really is a measure of who "does both" as all citizens pay taxes, but some tend to contribute on an individual basis as well.

is this true?

there's no income or sales tax in New Hampshire -- if a NH resident does not choose to give at least an equal amount as a citizen from Massachusetts ("taxachusetts") would have given via sales and income tax, can we say that he or she has done as much as a MA resident?

i'd also be curious to see the level of taxation in these states, as well as an overall economic picture.

Irvine511 said:
is this true?

there's no income or sales tax in New Hampshire -- if a NH resident does not choose to give at least an equal amount as a citizen from Massachusetts ("taxachusetts") would have given via sales and income tax, can we say that he or she has done as much as a MA resident?

i'd also be curious to see the level of taxation in these states, as well as an overall economic picture.

State and local income tax can add another 10-15% on top of federal income taxes. Add sales taxes on top of that. That would be an interesting overlay to the chart.

Besides, if the folks in New Hampshire are paying less in taxes AND giving less to charity. Better check out their mattresses!

If "charitable giving" can be defined as putting money in the church collection plate (as is defined by tax laws), then I'm not all that surprised. The same entities that bullied people into voting for Bush will also guilt you into giving lots of money to them.

Melon

my state is #3 on that list and I'd bet most of those charitable donations do go to churches (tithing).

I'm a little cynical about churches and their willingness to go feed some poor families rather than build the newest megachurch that can house 10,000 people. But I also know church organizations (around here anyways) that do great work and have their heart in the right place.

U2DMfan said:
my state is #3 on that list and I'd bet most of those charitable donations do go to churches (tithing).

I'm a little cynical about churches and their willingness to go feed some poor families rather than build the newest megachurch that can house 10,000 people. But I also know church organizations (around here anyways) that do great work and have their heart in the right place.

Perhaps we are fed a stereotype that churches gather money to build enormous buildings. There are a handful in the country, but it is a minute fraction of the total number of congregations.

Perhaps people should work on a church budget (or at least have seen one) before they automatically discount giving to churches as not counting in the realm of charity.

Back
Top Bottom