Where the most charitable people live in the USA - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2006, 06:29 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:25 AM
Uh, she sites her source on her web page.

Why do you say it is a hoax?

Old 06-20-2006, 08:02 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:25 PM
OK, she cites a source, but she doesn't say that much about it. I like to know something about a source. Maybe I shouldn't call it a hoax, especially since I live in a Red State. The whole thing strikes me as one big generalization. It's not specific.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:34 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:25 AM
sour
verte
grapes
Old 06-21-2006, 11:34 AM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:25 AM
Red state people are so charitable they won't go to hell either

Newsweek

June 26, 2006 issue - Conservatives are more confident than liberals that they'll avoid hell—and that they know someone who won't. Liberals are less confident about their own chances of escaping hell and less sure they can identify the damned. These are a few results from an unusual online survey Beliefnet conducted this month among 10,000 of its members.

Asked to rate their "chances that you might go to hell," 46% of self-identified conservatives said "not a chance"—compared with 28% of liberals. Born-again Christians were the most upbeat about their odds: 55% said "not a chance" compared with 21% of Roman Catholics; 56% of those who filled out the survey thought they knew one or more people who were "probably" headed south, with 64% of conservatives saying yes and only 47% of liberals. Conservatives, and men, are more likely to believe in hell as a physical place with fire and demons, as opposed to a spiritual state of separation from God.

Do you know the doomed? 61% of men said they knew some hellbound folks, compared with 54% of women. (It's unclear whether the results show that men are more judgmental, better judges of character or hang out with more evil people.) Most people said the doomed are "acquaintances," but almost 25% said the hellbound are members of their own families. Women were more likely to consign family members to hell, quite possibly because they spend more time with the family. And why are these people going to fry? The answers reflect one of the oldest theological debates: which matters more, faith or good works? For instance, 60% of born-again Christians (almost all of them Protestants) said the unfortunates didn't have the "right beliefs," compared with just 19% of Catholics who said that. 80% of Catholics said it was because of the person's immoral actions, compared with 40% of born-agains. The same split persisted politically: liberals said damnation was determined by bad behavior; conservatives, by a smaller majority, thought beliefs mattered most.

In what may be a worrisome sign of the state of family relations, those who thought their family members were headed down were very likely to think of hell as a place of fire and torment. Oh, and eternal. It was unclear whether the respondents were expressing a prediction or a wish.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:46 AM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:25 AM
Not surprising from a theological perspective. But it makes me feel sad for those who live in doubt - wanting to give them reassurance of the awesome power of God.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:44 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

It's unbelievable to me that people could be "certain" that people they know are going to hell.

Scripture says that "Man looks on the outward appearance, but God looks on the heart."

The whole hell thing is just really sick to me.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:08 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

Scripture says that "Man looks on the outward appearance, but God looks on the heart."
Yes indeed, it is free will I suppose that lets people have an opinion as to who is going to hell and who isn't. I don't ever really think much at all of a place called hell or who is/isn't going there-humans are doing a good enough job of making life on earth hellish.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:50 PM   #53
Refugee

Local Time: 03:25 PM
For all the blue state bellyaching, I hope that list was a bit of an eye-opener for some.

Aside from some more general good points made here about giving directly vs taxes, rural vs urban etc, I generally always understood one of those little life truths that it's those with the least to give who are always the most generous. Looking at the top 5 in the list, makes sense. As another cut of the data, I wonder what the voter turnout percentage is in those states compared to others. I expect comparatively lower.

From my own obsrevations too, the people who are quickest to point fingers at the rich when a charity comes knocking are often left-leaning.