Where the most charitable people live in the USA - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-19-2006, 04:36 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by UberBeaver
So, dumb people give to charity? Go figure.


dbs
__________________

__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 06-19-2006, 05:22 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 08:11 PM
There is the basic philosophical difference that has existed for decades. Do you give directly to charity, or do you rely on the government to tax you for charity?
__________________

__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 06-19-2006, 05:24 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
There is the basic philosophical difference that has existed for decades. Do you give directly to charity, or do you rely on the government to tax you for charity?



or, do you feel that individual charity is never enough, and that only government has the organizational capacity to tackle systemic issues rooted deep in history?

i think it's possible to do both, and that some issues are better address via individuals and other issues are best addressed via government programs.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 06-19-2006, 05:39 PM   #19
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,641
Local Time: 10:11 PM
I don't remember anyone asking me who I gave to or who I voted for when compiling such a list...
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 06-19-2006, 05:49 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 11:11 PM
^ take a look at the poster, and take a look at the writer's screamfest of a blog (Michelle Malkin is easily the 2nd most shrill woman on the Right, after Ms. Coulter), and i think we can take this thread with a wink and a nod.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 06-19-2006, 06:00 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
or, do you feel that individual charity is never enough, and that only government has the organizational capacity to tackle systemic issues rooted deep in history?
Some charity, individual or government, may never be enough.

The administrative load and overwhelming self-regulation makes the government rather inefficient at tackling such issues.

And the chart really is a measure of who "does both" as all citizens pay taxes, but some tend to contribute on an individual basis as well.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 06-19-2006, 06:12 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
And the chart really is a measure of who "does both" as all citizens pay taxes, but some tend to contribute on an individual basis as well.


is this true?

there's no income or sales tax in New Hampshire -- if a NH resident does not choose to give at least an equal amount as a citizen from Massachusetts ("taxachusetts") would have given via sales and income tax, can we say that he or she has done as much as a MA resident?

i'd also be curious to see the level of taxation in these states, as well as an overall economic picture.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 06-19-2006, 06:15 PM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,641
Local Time: 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
and i think we can take this thread with a wink and a nod.
As I do with these types of threads.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 06-19-2006, 06:28 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 09:11 PM
sometimes the truth makes some of us uncomfortable.

__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 06-19-2006, 06:37 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
is this true?

there's no income or sales tax in New Hampshire -- if a NH resident does not choose to give at least an equal amount as a citizen from Massachusetts ("taxachusetts") would have given via sales and income tax, can we say that he or she has done as much as a MA resident?

i'd also be curious to see the level of taxation in these states, as well as an overall economic picture.
State and local income tax can add another 10-15% on top of federal income taxes. Add sales taxes on top of that. That would be an interesting overlay to the chart.

Besides, if the folks in New Hampshire are paying less in taxes AND giving less to charity. Better check out their mattresses!
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 06-19-2006, 07:36 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 11:11 PM
If "charitable giving" can be defined as putting money in the church collection plate (as is defined by tax laws), then I'm not all that surprised. The same entities that bullied people into voting for Bush will also guilt you into giving lots of money to them.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 06-19-2006, 07:41 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 09:11 PM
oh
pooh
pooh

dbs
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 06-19-2006, 08:04 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 10:11 PM
my state is #3 on that list and I'd bet most of those charitable donations do go to churches (tithing).

I'm a little cynical about churches and their willingness to go feed some poor families rather than build the newest megachurch that can house 10,000 people. But I also know church organizations (around here anyways) that do great work and have their heart in the right place.
__________________
U2DMfan is offline  
Old 06-19-2006, 08:12 PM   #29
Acrobat
 
BorderGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Under A Blood Red Texas Sky
Posts: 418
Local Time: 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
sometimes the truth makes some of us uncomfortable.

__________________
BorderGirl is offline  
Old 06-19-2006, 08:20 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2DMfan
my state is #3 on that list and I'd bet most of those charitable donations do go to churches (tithing).

I'm a little cynical about churches and their willingness to go feed some poor families rather than build the newest megachurch that can house 10,000 people. But I also know church organizations (around here anyways) that do great work and have their heart in the right place.
Perhaps we are fed a stereotype that churches gather money to build enormous buildings. There are a handful in the country, but it is a minute fraction of the total number of congregations.

Perhaps people should work on a church budget (or at least have seen one) before they automatically discount giving to churches as not counting in the realm of charity.
__________________

__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com