Where Is The Outrage?? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2003, 10:21 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:57 AM
Where Is The Outrage??

In support of her fellow Democrat, California Senator Diane Feinstein is appearing in a frequently run television commercial urging a No vote on the upcomming recall.

Prominately displayed behind Feinstein in the ad is a Vishnu statue (the second member of the Hindu trinity).

So, California's most prominent political figure is appearing along side a Hindu statue. Considering the uproar over a Ten Commandments monument, the silence in California is deafening.

What they say "We support separation of Church and State."

What they mean "We support separation of Christ and State."

Old 09-05-2003, 11:10 AM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:57 AM
This was in a government building?

Old 09-05-2003, 11:19 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:57 AM
In the case of the Ten Commandments controversy it was Moore's behavior rather than the monument per se that bothered me. My criticism of Moore was that he didn't have any dignity and was way too confrontationist when he presented his argument. If he had I think things would have gone differently. Aesthetically, the monument left something to be desired but that's just a matter of taste.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:38 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
This was in a government building?
The commercial does not make that clear.

Does that make a difference? It suggests that a government official can endorse a religion as long as the endorsing is not done in a government building.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:49 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Does that make a difference? It suggests that a government official can endorse a religion as long as the endorsing is not done in a government building.
The dispute over the Ten Commandments monument was based on it being in a government building, and not really over a government official endorsing a religion. Heck, people could have gone after our governor for having Christian Coalition people in the governor's mansion for prayer breakfasts. No one did and few people even cared. The difference? PR. Moore made alot of enemies. The governor hasn't made enemies because of his religion. They were really after Moore, not the monument.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:57 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

The dispute over the Ten Commandments monument was based on it being in a government building, and not really over a government official endorsing a religion.
No way. Moore may have made his enemies, but the basis for the lawsuit requiring removal of the monument is that it represents an endorsement of a religion. After all, that is what the Constitution says.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:01 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Absolutely it does. Individuals in the government can be any religion they want to. In fact I believe all US Presidents have been claimed Christians with the majority of them protestant.

But they aren't allowed to hang a cross over their podium! The difference is that a government can not endorse a religion and when you place a religious monument in a government building then in effect you're stating that this state court or whatever endorses this religion.

Moore could have placed the monument in his front yard. He could have ran commercials with him next to the monument. I don't care. But you can't bring it into the courthouse. It's as simple as that.

This is not a case of "separation of Christ and state." And remember once again 10 commandments are not solely Christian law, so this was never about just Christianity.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:05 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that 98% of the population has no clue what that even is.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:07 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
But they aren't allowed to hang a cross over their podium!
Feinstein had her "cross" on her podium.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:25 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:57 AM
Is this woman even Hindu?

It's possible that it was in her house, she bought the statue on a trip to India for its artistic/cultural merit rather than a pronouncement of her faith.

My mother, a devout Catholic, has purchased Hindu religious icons and one is hanging in my own bedroom. We also have a couple of Buddhist sculptures from Korea and African religious tribal masks on our walls.

If it's not in a government building, she can have whatever she wants standing behind her. I don't care if a politicial wears a crucifix around their neck, but when you put it in a courthouse, then I object.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:25 PM   #11
Refugee

I have not seen the commercial. Did it look like she in her home or office? Or was she standing in front of a Hindu shrine? Was it a life-size statue, or was it just on a bookshelf behind her?
Old 09-05-2003, 12:36 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

It appears in an office setting. The statue was on a bookcase, directly over her right shoulder. It can be seen clearly - and we have a small 13" television.

I find the false distinctions amusing. I really don't care what Feinstein has in her office. But, as my premise was in the Alabama case, the "separation of church and state" crowd is only heard regarding Judeo-Christian matters.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:40 PM   #13
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
It appears in an office setting. The statue was on a bookcase, directly over her right shoulder. It can be seen clearly - and we have a small 13" television.

I find the false distinctions amusing. I really don't care what Feinstein has in her office. But, as my premise was in the Alabama case, the "separation of church and state" crowd is only heard regarding Judeo-Christian matters.
When she tries to place this statue in a government building there will be an uproar. I'm not sure why you're not getting the distinction. This is not someone trying oppress your beliefs.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:44 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

When she tries to place this statue in a government building there will be an uproar. I'm not sure why you're not getting the distinction. This is not someone trying oppress your beliefs.
But you had no trouble equating the Ten Commandments monument with oppression??

She very well may have this statute in her publically funded office and I doubt anyone would make a peep. I bet there are plenty of Vishnu statues that are treated as works of art and therefor ignored.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:45 PM   #15
BAW
The Flower

I'm a bit confused. This could have been a gift or simply a part of her office decor. She's not acting in a governmental capacity in this commercial and is not in a govermental facility. How is this in any way endorsing a religion?