Where Is The Outrage?? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2003, 11:01 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:35 PM
Deep

I didn't know you cared so much

All that effort, you see what you want to see

Classic misdirection

Old 09-07-2003, 01:02 AM   #47
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:35 PM
Nbcrusader,

I have much respect, but I think you are trying to make a crusade out of this. You have to understand the difference here, I would think.

Well I respectfully bow out because you are outnumbered here and I don't want to turn this into a majority liberal vs. the minority conservative debate here in FYM. I would hate to see us lose another one.

Old 09-07-2003, 10:59 AM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

BonoVoxSupastar,

Thank you - I see the differences. I hope everyone does.

You won't lose me. I find the debate worthwhile, not a personal offense.

I look forward to future exchanges.

Old 09-07-2003, 03:22 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:35 PM
nbcrusader, with all due respect, I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill with this. What is the difference? A large one. I don't see tenets of Hinduism being threatened with legislation in the U.S. If a political party starts earnestly debating as to whether to pass a constitutional amendment to institute the caste system, then I will agree that Hinduism is a threat to separation of church and state.

But, as we both perfectly know, it is neither that Vishnu statue nor Hinduism, which is threatening our secular humanist foundations, while Christianity does. In case you didn't realize this, the GOP is currently running hearings to start a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage--a ban which is fully out of Christian revulsion to the idea, running contrary to all mainstream scientific and psychological studies, which sees it as natural. When Hinduism starts threatening my right to life, liberty, and happiness, then we can both join a crusade to stop Vishnu from using his seven arms to crush us. In the meantime, perhaps it is time that we started dealing with the very real problem that Christianity poses. Where is your outrage on that? A statue is the least of our problems.

Melon
Old 09-07-2003, 04:23 PM   #50
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
In the meantime, perhaps it is time that we started dealing with the very real problem that Christianity poses. Where is your outrage on that?
Melon, I know about your issues with the Church, and you have good reason for those issues. However, I thought you still considered yourself a Christian. If you don't, that is your business. But I think it is misleading and unfair to say that Christianity poses a problem for our country. Certain Christians, and people who purport to call themselves Christians, have some viewpoints that I think are problematic. But Christianity retains at its core a basic respect and love for all people and a moral code that is certainly good and reasonable to live by. I don't like the implication that ALL of Christendom is trying to make this country an insufferable, intolerant theocracy. That is not what Christianity means to me, and I doubt it means that to most Christians assembled here.

Please remember that in FYM we want to avoid making blanket statements about ANY group--religious, social, ethnic, racial, political, or otherwise.

Join Amnesty.
Old 09-07-2003, 05:05 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

The meaning of words change over time.

It is not a necessarily a good thing or a bad thing.

One example is the word “gay”.

When I was a kid in 60s it was understood to mean: cheerful, happy.

As in the Ginger Roger's movie “The Gay Divorcee”

We all know that Gay has been co-opted to mean homosexual.

And it is seldom used in its original meaning.

Today, in American politics especially, the term “Christian” is being co-opted by the conservative right
They seem to believe they have “the truth” on all things moral. This reminds me of the Taliban.

I describe myself as a “follower of the teachings of Jesus”. People who truly do believe in the “teachings of Jesus” should use this term.

Let the homosexuals be “gay”.

We heteros can be happy and cheerful.

Let Bob Jones, Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Judge Moore and his followers, and their ilk be “Christians”
Jesus and the people who followed his teachings never called themselves Christians.
They were simply the people who followed his teachings.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:07 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Was this Vishnu statue placed in her office, without her knowledge or under the cloak of darkness? With no one's permission? Did she ever use it a pulpit to say all other religions can't be displayed, just the Hindu because this country was founded on this religion? Roy Moore ventures to far into the fanatical. He's almost giving Christianity a bad name. Besides, this isn't the only thing about him I don't like. I haven't seen anything concerning laws or legislation he has sponsored for the state of Alabama that would impress me otherwise. Again, I say it's nothing to do with the 10 comandments themselves, it has to do with Moore and what he want's the courts to ignore, just for him and his beliefs. He IS a politician promoting his own agenda, only this also involves his personal religious fanaticism. This state - still- has enough to overcome and deal with, we don't need people like him to set us back again. IMHO.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:51 PM   #53
The Fly

Local Time: 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
The meaning of words change over time.

It is not a necessarily a good thing or a bad thing.

One example is the word “gay”.

When I was a kid in 60s it was understood to mean: cheerful, happy.

As in the Ginger Roger's movie “The Gay Divorcee”

We all know that Gay has been co-opted to mean homosexual.

And it is seldom used in its original meaning.

Today, in American politics especially, the term “Christian” is being co-opted by the conservative right
They seem to believe they have “the truth” on all things moral. This reminds me of the Taliban.

I describe myself as a “follower of the teachings of Jesus”. People who truly do believe in the “teachings of Jesus” should use this term.

Let the homosexuals be “gay”.

We heteros can be happy and cheerful.

Let Bob Jones, Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Judge Moore and his followers, and their ilk be “Christians”
Jesus and the people who followed his teachings never called themselves Christians.
They were simply the people who followed his teachings.
I'm afraid I must disagree. As a believer and follower of Christ and His teachings, I will take on His name and not be ashamed of it. Just because some prejudiced individuals have decided to associate the term Christian with the behavior of a few extremists who happen to call themselves Christians does not mean I should term myself anything differently. If you use this logic Muslims ought to not call themselves Muslims anymore so that they are not associated with the insane extremists that caused so much suffering across the world on 9/11.

If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you......
1 Peter 4:14
Old 09-08-2003, 09:51 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
But I think it is misleading and unfair to say that Christianity poses a problem for our country. Certain Christians, and people who purport to call themselves Christians, have some viewpoints that I think are problematic. But Christianity retains at its core a basic respect and love for all people and a moral code that is certainly good and reasonable to live by. I don't like the implication that ALL of Christendom is trying to make this country an insufferable, intolerant theocracy. That is not what Christianity means to me, and I doubt it means that to most Christians assembled here.
Thanks for saying that paxetaurora-my sentiments exactly
Old 09-08-2003, 11:13 AM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by maude

I'm afraid I must disagree. As a believer and follower of Christ and His teachings, I will take on His name and not be ashamed of it. Just because some prejudiced individuals have decided to associate the term Christian with the behavior of a few extremists who happen to call themselves Christians does not mean I should term myself anything differently. If you use this logic Muslims ought to not call themselves Muslims anymore so that they are not associated with the insane extremists that caused so much suffering across the world on 9/11.
Well said. I agree 100%.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:51 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
Melon, I know about your issues with the Church, and you have good reason for those issues. However, I thought you still considered yourself a Christian. If you don't, that is your business. But I think it is misleading and unfair to say that Christianity poses a problem for our country. Certain Christians, and people who purport to call themselves Christians, have some viewpoints that I think are problematic. But Christianity retains at its core a basic respect and love for all people and a moral code that is certainly good and reasonable to live by. I don't like the implication that ALL of Christendom is trying to make this country an insufferable, intolerant theocracy. That is not what Christianity means to me, and I doubt it means that to most Christians assembled here.

Please remember that in FYM we want to avoid making blanket statements about ANY group--religious, social, ethnic, racial, political, or otherwise.
So what am I supposed to say? I don't see one Christian religion that has truly spoken up against what I have written. Sure, you have your maverick clerics, but when push comes to shove, they all cower when the Religious Right starts to threaten to secede. You know what I say? Let them.

Perhaps it is semantical. I still believe in Christ and all that, but I have lost my faith in religion and that word, "Christianity," that labels it. It is in a similar vein that the swastika, which, for thousands of years, was a peace symbol, is now permanently a symbol for hatred. Now, despite my best judgment, I cannot help but look at "Christianity" and all the semantics that embody it to be nothing more than a symbol for oppression and reactionary beliefs (for those looking for a fight, I'm not comparing Christianity to Nazism; but, rather, showing how a word or symbol's connotation can be changed over time).

The best thing I could have done, though, was separate Christ from "Christianity." Christ is no longer part of that entity, usurped by tradition and fear of change...

...I don't know. I feel nothing but betrayal at the hands of "Christianity." I have nothing but anger at the Religious Right, being nothing more than modern Pharisees, declaring a monopoly on God in the same manner as their 2000 year-old predecessors, and similar anger at the "Religious Left," which, if nothing else, is guilty of inaction and cowardice in the face of the Pharisees.

I would like to hope that things will change for the better, but, after seeing things get progressive worse since the election of Dubya in 2000 (and all the fanaticism that has surrounded him), I really have little hope.

Since this is mostly a rant of mine, rest assured, I agree with what you have written.

Melon
Old 09-08-2003, 05:22 PM   #57
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:35 PM
I share some of your frustrations, for sure. As someone who used to refer to herself as a "Jesus enthusiast" instead of a Christian, I can sympathize. I just want to avoid the use of blanketing statements and generalizations in FYM.

Maybe it's time to start a new thread on this subject? FYM Christians, how do we feel about this? Or FYMers of different faiths who might be facing the same issues (Muslims probably have a lot of the same problems, I would imagine)?

Join Amnesty.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:41 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Pax,

We all have different life experiences and live in different environments.

I actually head a Minister say he chose to call himself a “follower of the teachings of Jesus”.

He believed the “Right” was co-opting the word “Christian” for political reasons.

Where I live the majority of people I interact with are very political and blur the lines between Conservative politics and their concept of what “Christian” means.

I believe I understand how “Melon” feels.
Many times I am in discussions where people use what they believe are “Christian” arguments that are not in accordance with the teachings of Jesus.

I will go on the record and say I believe the examples I gave
Quote:
Bob Jones, Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Judge Moore
have made political statements that go against the teachings of Jesus.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:56 PM   #59
New Yorker

agreed deep. but there is a difference between the two. If I'm talking about myself in a political forum, I'm a believer of Christ. If I talk about myself in a religious forum, I am a Christian. I think the title has alot to do with people trying to put a label on those who base their conservative political beliefs strictly on their religion.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:32 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Two excellent point's, deep and sharky, for making sure Christianity and Christian ARE NOT hijacked as a political word for the right. It seems great strides have already been made to make a perfectly good word like 'liberal' into, very nearly a derogatory slur.