Where do you see yourself on the political spectrum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Where do you see yourself on the political spectrum?

• Who needs governments, I'm a right wing libertarian anarchist / survivalist

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Pat Buchanan is my hero.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • A firm conservative

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Mainly conservative, but liberal on a couple of issues

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Centrist, but more conservative than liberal

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • Centrist, but more liberal than conservative

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • Mainly liberal, but conservative on a couple of issues

Votes: 13 17.1%
  • A solid liberal

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • Far out flamin' leftie. Let's squeez the rich and increase taxes to 80%

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • Bring down the rotten capitalist system, I'm an anarcho syndicalist/Trotskyie/Communist

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
Just a quick and dirty poll, nothing scientific. I know there are exercises on the Internet where you can input responses and determine where you fit in politically, but I am more interested in where posters see themselves as leaning politically.

A cynical nihilist, although I guess I'm left-leaning, by default.

Melon

You forgot the "flaming conservative." You know, the ones that have multi-trillion dollar tax cuts for the wealthy, while spending hundreds of billions more on military toys for an invisible enemy.

Melon

melon said:
You forgot the "flaming conservative." You know, the ones that have multi-trillion dollar tax cuts for the wealthy, while spending hundreds of billions more on military toys for an invisible enemy.

Melon

As I said, it's just a quick and dirty poll, nothing scientific.

You might call people with that outlook 'flaming conservatives' but they would probably see themselves for the most part as mainstream conservatives.

melon said:

Melon

We could check the voting records to see all the Democrats who are "flaming conservatives"... :wink:

"Mainly conservative, but liberal on a couple of issues"

Actually, I'm finding I'm more and more liberal (or hovering in the center really), but if you look at who I voted for, all of the local people were the Republicans, many of whom I know personally. The President, after all, is onle one person.

Left leaning centrist, with not much inclination to align myself with conservatives or liberals. The disenfranchised wing?

So far 70% or so place themselves in the centre or close to it...rumours of the far left FYM bias looking a bit dodgy at least at this early stage.....

People always want to see themselves as normal; if you are talking FYM standards I think that the results are skewed by that. On the other hand if everybody took a political quiz to determine where they stand I suspect the results would yield a better result.

Libertarianism ~ which I suspect is by definition right wing because the general nature of the left-right dichotomy is one of government size and interference (for the record I do not consider the Bush administration particularly dedicated to such policies).

A_Wanderer said:
People always want to see themselves as normal; if you are talking FYM standards I think that the results are skewed by that. On the other hand if everybody took a political quiz to determine where they stand I suspect the results would yield a better result.

Absolutely correct but I am specifically looking for where people PERCEIVE themselves to be in this particular poll.

It might be an idea when this poll is closed to post one of those quizs to see how the results would compare.

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:
"Mainly conservative, but liberal on a couple of issues"

I'm pretty much the same way... I'm somewhere in the middle, but I'm probably more right leaning... However, there are plenty of issues I'm definitely to the left of...

A_Wanderer said:
Libertarianism ~ which I suspect is by definition right wing because the general nature of the left-right dichotomy is one of government size and interference (for the record I do not consider the Bush administration particularly dedicated to such policies).

I agree, although at the fringes of libertarianism you have the Survivalist movement, while on the fringes of the far left you have anarcho-syndicalists who also seem to believe in much reduced central government.

but don't you see, financeguy, if it isn't explicitly conservative, then it is totally liberal.

you know, liberal like CNN.

NYT
WaPo
LAT
MSNBC

and anything else that doesn't get it's talking points from the WH.

financeguy said:
So far 70% or so place themselves in the centre or close to it...rumours of the far left FYM bias looking a bit dodgy at least at this early stage.....

No one has claimed FYM is "Far to the Left" as defined by this poll. No one has ever claimed that most people in here are Communist or close to it.

STING2 said:

No one has claimed FYM is "Far to the Left" as defined by this poll. No one has ever claimed that most people in here are Communist or close to it.

no, but many people claim that there's an anti-Christian bias.

not always, but that is often read as having a left-wing bias.

anyway ... how could an open forum have a bias? if you think it's too left wing, then open your right wing mouth and say something. and vice versa.

STING2 said:

Well it's early days yet. I have put a 5 day time limit on it.

Doubtless tomorrow all the close Commies will vote. :wink:

I guess solid liberal but I can be a far out leftie sometimes and I vote for the occasional Republican locally.

financeguy said:

Well it's early days yet. I have put a 5 day time limit on it.

Doubtless tomorrow all the close Commies will vote. :wink:

Guess I better wait until tomorrow to vote then, eh? :wink:

But what I'm really wondering is who's the nutjob who voted Pat Buchanan is my hero? :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom