Where do we begin to co-exist? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2005, 06:20 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:51 AM
Where do we begin to co-exist?

Seriously...where do we start?

I do not want this to become a gay, religious, abortion thread. I am sincere in my desire to co-exist, but I cannot get through the rhetoric.

In this forum, republicans are compared to Nazi's...

Supporters of the war are called Gung-Ho.......

I cannot see through the rhetoric.....and I find this place driving me back away from the center lately.

So....what can we do to co-exist?

Old 06-20-2005, 06:34 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 06:51 AM
Hmmm.. perhaps that is why I haven't been reading here so much lately? I would like us all to co-exist too!

I don't compare Republicans to Nazi's

I avoid the subject of war as I believe that peace can and should be first and can't move beyond that fact to take an interest.

Old 06-20-2005, 06:39 PM   #3
Refugee

PS. That doesn't mean that I don't respect our military and what they do to defend our country.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:41 PM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:51 AM
And the left are called un-patriotic, murderers, and immoral.

People have lost all sight of the gray, all ability to compromise, and all ability to look past their absolutes, which never really exist.

Once we're able to see the gray we can move on, but now it's just red and blue, left and right, Christian and Muslim, etc...
Old 06-20-2005, 06:44 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

And I did not mean to leave the left out of my inital post. There has been a lot of that in here too.

I am just listening to the U2 concert...and I am feeling bummed out, that the message is not reaching this forum.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:06 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

To me co-existing means I don't have to like what someone else thinks or does, but it's not my right to stick my nose in and make him/her change to fit my view. You (that you means anyone/everyone) can believe whatever the hell you want (no matter how ludicrous I find it ), as long as you don't deprive someone else of the same rights you demand for yourself.

To me that means that religion, medical decisions, marriage status, sexual orientation, etc., etc., should be private matters and not something the majority decides.

We could all coexist a whole hell of a lot better if we would just keep our noses out of other people's business.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:16 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:51 PM
The message surely does not reach me. I´m still sick enough of my last personal run-ins here, thank you. Why waste my time trying to offer new views to people who absolutely don´t appreciate that? It´s more intelligent to call the American President to lobby. I hate wasting my energy, and that´s exactly what I would do by complaining about the exclusivity of threads or having to defend myself against a bunch of people (who will never seriously critisize or doubt anything that has to do with military because they are or were part of it) when they cry for mods because they feel oh so personally attacked when I´m not as fucking polite as when I call the White House.

I selectively comment when I have to say something, people can read it and agree or disagree, and I will continue to stay out of discussions with certain posters. It´s just more comfortable, and politically defined, that´s exactly what peaceful co-existence means.

Nuff´said.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:23 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I think we do coexist, and do so peacefully. If you take a look around the world, you will see what the flip side of this is.

But maybe we (as in the general 'we' - not you and I) don't like each other? I don't know, is there a benefit to everyone getting along? Surely. But since the beginning of time, people have quibbled over everything, and maybe that is human nature. Maybe there are gaps we cannot bridge and never will, so the best thing to do is to figure out how to coexist in peace without necessarily having to hold one another in high regard.

I often wonder - is it necessary to respect a person in order to leave them be in peace?
Old 06-20-2005, 07:39 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh, there are posters here I rarely read anything they write anymore. I'm not going to change their views and they won't change mine. Best just to leave each other be.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:43 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Seriously...where do we start?

I do not want this to become a gay, religious, abortion thread. I am sincere in my desire to co-exist, but I cannot get through the rhetoric.

Supporters of the war are called Gung-Ho.......

I cannot see through the rhetoric.....and I find this place driving me back away from the center lately.

So....what can we do to co-exist?
These are good questions

I thought the article I posted by Danforth was a good example of how the different groups could get along.
He is/ was a Republican that knows how to co-exist.
That thread got sidetracked big time on shaivo.

Looking outside of this forum, I can add this.

I was raised in a very religious conservative environment and we had no problem coexisting because we had no expectation of being able to dominate. It was the 60s and 70s.
We were just happy if we could have our standards and beliefs inside of our community and not have government or others intrude.

Now, with the right having a concentration of power it seems like they are always starting on the 5 yard line and will not accept that every play is not a touch down.

Perhaps if the Liberals had control of both houses and the Whitehouse they would be playing hardball, too.
But that is not the issue, is it?
Old 06-20-2005, 07:45 PM   #11
Acrobat

I have some very strong opinions.

So do many of the other people who visit this forum.

That does not mean we cannot coexist.

In fact, we do, pretty much. We all come here, and we speak our piece, even when doing so places us in direct opposition to someone else. I haven't been here very long, but so far I haven't seen unrestrained flaming, haven't heard of any incident of outside harrassment (by email, messenger, etc.) by a member of the forum toward another.

Seems the same to me as the rest of the time. Americans aren't happy at the moment. It seems that the whole country is feeling a little tense right now. There's a lot of fierce rhetoric flying around. Things are going on in the world that people have very strong opinions about, and they aren't holding their tongues. But I haven't seen any rioting in the streets; the national guard hasn't been called out...

If by coexistence, you mean a general concesus of opinion that provides more of a sense of stability and unity within the nation; a period of time when folks don't spend a lot of time arguing, debating, disagreeing, and just generally getting on each others nerves--good luck. I don't know if we've ever had such a time, and we may never have.

I have a neighbor who I get a long with really well; I consider her a friend, and I enjoy her company. But we do not agree, politically. We argue like crazy sometimes--about Bush, Iraq, Republicans vs. Democrats. She calls me 'that damn Democrat'; I call her 'that stupid Republican'.

But we're still friends. We still sit at each other's table, we still drink each other's coffee. I listen to her complain about her messy son, she listens to me complain about my incompetent co-workers. Politics isn't everything.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:56 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

Perhaps if the Liberals had control of both houses and the Whitehouse they would be playing hardball, too.
But that is not the issue, is it?
You don't think Al Gore, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Ted Kennedy, James Carville, and others play hard ball?
Old 06-20-2005, 08:03 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Where do we begin to co-exist?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
And in the real world, gay activists pursuing equality are often compared to Nazis by conservatives. Here's a recent quote:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe....ap/index.html

Quote:
"This demonstration is the people's response to the government's provocations," said Fr. Jose Ramon Velasco. We're not against homosexuals but allowing them to marry degrades matrimony.

"And they shouldn't have the right to adopt because if those children turn out to be homosexual, who will be to blame, the government?"

Velasco compared the bill to the beginnings of Nazi Germany in the 1930s.

"Back then the majority of people also backed Hitler just like the majority back this law," he said. "I'm serious, give it time and it will destroy the moral fiber of Spain and the West."
And didn't Rick Santorum call liberals Nazis or something of the sort? And let's not forget Ann Coulter and her venom that is "Treason."

It, frankly, goes both ways. Conservatives have been dishing out the shit for years, calling liberals everything from communists to homosexual to traitors to terrorists to Nazis, but they certainly don't know how to take it.

But hey...guess what? Shades of gray and nuance are out of style. That's "wishy-washy relativist," and that's nothing more than a code word for "godless" and "amoral." So when the Left stands up for itself finally, then everyone acts like civilization is about to collapse. Sorry, if you all hate the tone of the rhetoric in this nation, the blame goes squarely to the Right, and we're reaping what they've sowed.

Melon
Old 06-20-2005, 08:09 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

You don't think Al Gore, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Ted Kennedy, James Carville, and others play hard ball?
I'll see your lot

and raise you with

Newt Gingrich, Pat Robertson, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Sen. Santorum

the point is, of the ten
only Sen. Kennedy and Santorum have real power. Power to pass legistration and approve appointments.

and Kennedy with 44 Democrats has much less power than Santorum even thought more Americans voted for the Democratic Senators the did vote for the GOP Senators.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:21 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Never mind.