Where did N korea get it's nukes from???? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2003, 08:11 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 05:36 AM
Where did N korea get it's nukes from????

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/asi...ic/2339663.stm

Quote:

American intelligence officials say that Pakistan was a major supplier of critical equipment for North Korea's nuclear weapons programme, according to US newspaper reports.

It comes after Washington revealed that North Korea had apparently admitted pursuing a nuclear weapons programme despite signing an agreement in 1994 to abandon its research effort.

Now the problem appears to have been compounded with the revelation in the New York Times that Pakistan - a key ally of the United States in the war against terrorism - has been an important contributor to the North Korean programme.

Arms control experts have long suspected some sort of linkage between the weapons programmes of Pakistan and North Korea.

Pakistan clearly has the bomb, and some US officials believe that North Korea may now have nuclear weapons as well.

Nuclear ties

Both countries have sought to develop long-range ballistic missiles to carry their warheads.

The US revealed evidence of North Korea's nuclear programme

Both have also had close ties with China - seen by many experts as a key exporter of nuclear and missile know-how.

Suspicions are one thing but now the Americans seem to have concluded that they have hard evidence showing Pakistan's support for North Korea's nuclear weapons programme.

It all seems to be tied up with the information that prompted Washington to confront North Korean diplomats earlier this month.

That encounter appears to have resulted in an uncharacteristic admission from Pyongyang that it does indeed have a nuclear weapons programme.

The Americans said that North Korea was trying to obtain large quantities of high-strength aluminium for centrifuges that are used to enrich uranium to provide bomb-making material.

Key components

The Americans suspect that Pakistan has given North Korea critical help here - perhaps even the gas centrifuges themselves.

Nuclear co-operation reportedly pre-dates Musharraf

This help is said to have started in the late 1990s, some two years before General Pervez Musharraf took power.

But it appears to have continued, perhaps even beyond 11 September last year.

Pakistan embassy officials in Washington have denied the allegations.

But the new US intelligence assessment suggests that one of America's principle allies in the war against terrorism has been an important contributor to the nuclear weapons programme of a member of what President Bush calls the "axis of evil".

It is a reminder yet again that real life is far more complex than the simple slogans used to market the Bush administration's policies abroad.

You want to start on the war of terror.....I know a good place to start

This is ridiculous a country can posses WMD"s from a program funded by iran and iraq, proliferate them, train terrorists and STILL be a US ALLY

I"M SICK OF THE BULLSHIT from this administration.

Old 04-13-2003, 12:04 PM   #2
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:36 PM
But it's useful. So it doesn't matter how it is the largest harrbinger of terrorists, nuclear proliferator, human rights disaster, and known to massacre dissidents or non-muslims.

Old 04-13-2003, 02:16 PM   #3
The Fly

Local Time: 04:36 AM
Interesting indeed, but to "suspect" that "perhaps" it "appears" Pakistan is guilty is kind of vague, no?
Old 04-13-2003, 03:39 PM   #4
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by the olive
Interesting indeed, but to "suspect" that "perhaps" it "appears" Pakistan is guilty is kind of vague, no?
Actually this article from bbc is pretty unequivocal it says pakistan is guilty of of it.

"Suspect"..refers to the centrifuge tubes only.

and "appears" only refers to cooperation post september 11th

If you do a web search on this topic you will find a myriad of articles on it..I just stumbled across this one as I was looking for some other info.

Olive....The Indian government has been saying that pakistan has been proliferating weapons since the early 90's. No one seemed to listen then...and now when Us government sources say it..the administration is ignoring it now.

Pakistan does have clear terror ties and has WmD's and if they are proliferating that technology they are guilty of far more ( on top of other heinous acts) than iraq ever was.
Old 04-13-2003, 04:40 PM   #5
The Fly

It wouldn't suprise me if it were true. They got them from someone I guess.

Who gave Pakistan the nukes? I seem to remember my beloved Canada having something to do with this, though I could be wrong.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:34 PM   #6
The Fly

Local Time: 07:36 AM
Well, guys...do you want me to name the country that was first to get nuclear weapons, the only to use it, where it all started?
Old 04-14-2003, 05:05 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by the olive
It wouldn't suprise me if it were true. They got them from someone I guess.

Who gave Pakistan the nukes? I seem to remember my beloved Canada having something to do with this, though I could be wrong.
All i know is that the leading Pakistan Nucleair scientist got his education in the Netherlands.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:08 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by ALEXRUS
Well, guys...do you want me to name the country that was first to get nuclear weapons, the only to use it, where it all started?
It all started with Nazi- German scientists,...
Old 04-14-2003, 05:09 PM   #9
The Fly

Local Time: 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Rono

All i know is that the leading Pakistan Nucleair scientist got his education in the Netherlands.
Oh, dear. You too! U also have nuclear weapons?!!
Old 04-14-2003, 05:18 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by ALEXRUS

Oh, dear. You too! U also have nuclear weapons?!!
No, but we have a lot of knowledge on this subject,...and we have two little nucleair power stations.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:32 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Some people here forgot how important Pakistan has been in finding members of Al Quada. At the current time Pakistan cooperation to find Al Quada is more important than allegations about how Pakistan might of helped North Korea's nuclear program. North Korea is not involved in the war on terrorism by the way. Also, a lot of these events happened long before the Bush Administration was in office, so your blame, if it is warrented, is partly mis-placed. The article does not mention Iran and Iraq helping Pakistan, so I'm not sure where your getting that from.

Iraq was invaded and overthrown because its past behavior plus weapons of mass destruction were to much of a threat to the region and the world. Iraq has invaded and attacked four different countries in the past 20 years. Pakistan has not invaded any countries in the past 20 years. That alone shows the light years of difference between Iraq and Pakistan. Also the fact that Iraq has used weapons of mass destruction on more occasions than any other country in history, would be another reason action was needed. To the best of my knowledge, Pakistan has never used WMD before.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:23 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Pakistan has not invaded any countries in the past 20 years.
No, they merely promote state sponsored terrorism against India.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:43 PM   #13
Refugee

Quote:
Some people here forgot how important Pakistan has been in finding members of Al Quada. At the current time Pakistan cooperation to find Al Quada is more important than allegations about how Pakistan might of helped North Korea's nuclear program. North Korea is not involved in the war on terrorism by the way. Also, a lot of these events happened long before the Bush Administration was in office, so your blame, if it is warrented, is partly mis-placed. The article does not mention Iran and Iraq helping Pakistan, so I'm not sure where your getting that from.

Iraq was invaded and overthrown because its past behavior plus weapons of mass destruction were to much of a threat to the region and the world. Iraq has invaded and attacked four different countries in the past 20 years. Pakistan has not invaded any countries in the past 20 years. That alone shows the light years of difference between Iraq and Pakistan. Also the fact that Iraq has used weapons of mass destruction on more occasions than any other country in history, would be another reason action was needed. To the best of my knowledge, Pakistan has never used WMD before.
I love you sting but your clearly out of your area of expertise here

Pakistan has occupied indian territory in kashmir and continues to do so...so your wrong about the invasion issue.

There is a reason that you find those al qaeda terrorists in pakistan most of them were trained in pakistan and al qaeda is still rumored to be training in concert with other terror camps. There is MASS popular support for bin laden and al qaeda in pakistan.

General mushareff in his address to the pakistani people openly said that his major reason for helping the US was for mediation on the kashmir issue.

Like I said....all the reasons you invaded iraq for...are visibly present in pakistan.

WMD's...they got em...and they continue to threaten india with them...the world's largest democracy.

terror camps....pakistan has 10x ( conservative number...very conservative number) more terror camps than iraq. And still has failed to stop cross border terror. They dont' want to stop cross border terror because in fact in orcer for mushareff to stay popular he can't do it. So they are a terrorist state

Repressive military dictatorship...they got one.

support for rogue regimes....originally put up the taliban so that they would have a "strongly islamic neighbor"

nuclear proliferation...guilty

So sting are you telling me that pakistan can harbor other terrorists...as long as they hand over al qaeda terrorists? They can proliferate nukes as long as they hand over al qaeda terrorists...they can support regimes that actually will harbor terrorists as long as they hand over al qaeda members?

.....I thought this was a war on terror?..not just al qaeda..maybe we should change the name to "war on countries that don't hand over the specific terrorists we're looking for".

The article doesn't mention it...but I've read it...those countries funded pak's nuclear program in the hope of creating the "islamic bomb". I'm sure you can do a google search and come up with some info.

sting..I blame bush for clearly being a hypocrite when it comes to dealing with pakistan plain and simple.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:43 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Anitrim,

"No, they merely promote state sponsored terrorism against India."

As bad as that is, its not nearly as bad as unprovoked invasion and annexation of territory which Saddam had a habbit of doing. There is a big difference.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:07 PM   #15
Refugee

Quote:
Anitrim,

"No, they merely promote state sponsored terrorism against India."

As bad as that is, its not nearly as bad as unprovoked invasion and annexation of territory which Saddam had a habbit of doing. There is a big difference.
sting read my above post..they have indian territory occupied. they invaded and took it..you may even say right now...Pakistan is commiting an illegal annexation

also sting this is an incident I point to a lot

in 1971..in order to create bangladesh Pakistan muredered 3 million indians.....your telling me that's worse than anything saddam did?...guess who was head of the CIA when that happened....Bush sr.