Where did my thread just go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wait wait. let me guess. You were just kidding around and we obviously don't have senses of humor. If you have been lurking this whooooooole time then you would have seen how many people had the bright idea you had.

Editied because I left a word out.

Last edited:
Sparkysgrrrl said:
I still don't think this is a diverse place
if you ask others here, we're not diverse because all of us mods here are liberal. :wink: :D

but seriously, i think this is a diverse place. there's always so much discussion going on, if this place wasn't diverse, every thread would crash and burn, as every reply would be "i agree!" "spot on!" and the like.

the only reason i think the thread was closed (i'm not even a mod here so believe me, i had no play in it) was because it was originally just set up to be a link, and no discussion. if threads were started with the intent that no discussion would go on, what would be the point? :confused: unfortunately, i think your deciding to start the discussion just came a little too late. sorry. :(

OK - after reading this I got annoyed.

I reply when I get annoyed...

This thread is total bullshit. How can people sit here and say they never saw a thread when it was closed. Aren't moderators the only people that can close threads?

I first read the abortion thread, which in my opinion (and that is what THIS forum is about) is a good subject for this forum, however, only really appropriate if people asked for the information. If people asked sparkysgirl for the info and she said she would post it - what is the harm in that? If she however, used this forum as a way to propagate abortion, than that is wrong. I have to believe the former.

In any event, I also cannot see where she attacked any of the moderators, but simply asked where her thread went. It may have been slightly obnoxious, but I think actually more sincere.

How can this site support such assinine threads about "guess which are real or fake" "which NSYNC star are you?" or "what kind of British chocolate bar are you?" and allow the users to simply post a thread such as "TRY THIS" and then the link, but will not allow a thread in a discussion forum about abortion which clearly had the same premise (a link) as the previously mentioned threads.

The only explanation is that the people who opposed this thread are opposed to its content, and after reading all the replies it is evident. If the thread was posted to start debate, raise questions, ask for opposing opinions, or simply give information, what is the harm?

Instead the thread simply showed what kind of power the moderators have and possibly what kind of reaction a user will get when they are questioned. I am NOT saying anything negative about the moderators as they are indeed a crucial part of this site, but when an outside user reads the threads in chronilogical order, it seems the moderator was doing a bit more attacking than the user.

The whole thing is quite upsetting as the underlying tone here is that people did not like the content of the original post.

I clearly do not know sparkysgirl and have to admit have probably never seen a previous post by her (and had I read the nazi comment I would have jumped on that just as fast), but this just seemed a bit heavy handed.

I guess in the end the post did cause a bit of debate, mostly about how things are run here and not about abortion. shame

:|

I have started a number of threads that contained information-only content--where to write your congressman about this or that, for example, or websites that I thought people might be interested in. Those threads generated no discussion, nor were they intended to, and they were never closed or deleted.

Ouizy, I see your point....and my opinion on abortion is completely irrelevant to my opinion on how sparkysgirrl presented herself in this thread. I can understand her frustration, however I think she chose her words poorly. However, pretending that the thread never exisited and saying "I have no idea what you are talking about." no more than minutes after closing said thread was not right either. So I guess both sides are kinda in the wrong on this one.

In fact, Sparkygrrl's abortion thread was NO DIFFERENT than her threads on Fair Trade and Factory Farms. Why weren't those closed and her hands slapped?

Nothing but whiny children...

KhanadaRhodes said:

if you ask others here, we're not diverse because all of us mods here are liberal. :wink: :D

Hehehehe :up: liberalism

I ask some of you though, liberalism represents upmost freedoms, so why would a liberalist mod close any thread? Theyd obviously have a damn good reason, its not because theyre trying to censor anyone. Last time I checked, liberalists didnt believe in censorship. In fact, being one myself, Im pretty sure they dont believe in it.

I think there are two main problems here. 1, the thread in question was not made to initiate any discussion and therefore does not fit the criteria of the board. 2, while controversial, the discussion that did result from it was placed here, which I have a problem with, since its blatant trolling and should have been closed a long time ago. 3, people are still sorta discussing abortion, but are more going out to either defend the mods, or attack them. Heres a hint for you. They dont have to sit here and put up with all your bullshit, if they get tired of every thread turning into a mod censorship thread, theyll close the whole site down permanently instead of for a short stint like before. So, how about you all stop being so childish and accept the fact that others may have differing opinions from you. You cant force your beliefs on anyone else, nor should you try.

The point of this thread is to discuss, no more, no less. The intention is for you to all become further enlightened people with the ability to see things from both sides of the spectrum. If all you do is whine and bitch about how everyone else doesnt agree with you, then youve missed the damn point and will end up causing more problems. To free your mind is to unbind the restrictions that you have acquired over your life and to attain unbiased knowlege. This is a philosophical forum at heart. Yet here we are bitching about how someones thread was closed.

I could talk all day about it, but very few of you will get it *shot to your collective intelligence* youre all too tied up taking personal offense to being called 'childish' right now to even give a rats ass what I said and what it meant. Am I right? Of course I am. Something happens you dont like, suddenly the world revolves around you and you go bitching to the mods about how nothings fair and how everyones conspiring against you and you have so many rights and all sorts of other shit.

Fact of the matter: Youre here by privelege alone, its not a right, and like all other priveleges, it can be taken away. The mods are here to keep the forums clean as they see fit. They are here spending their time of day, unpaid, so that you can have a pleasant environment. *sweeping generalization* Goodness knows how everyone here doesnt think of anyone but themselves when they post a subject or a reply.

Free your mind... my ass... get it through your heads. You start fights and ignore everyone else, your threads are going to get closed.

I agree that abortion is an important topic. But theres absolutely no way you can justify throwing a random link up here. I personally think that it would have had more place in lemonade stand being thrown out as a random link then here. Had discussion gone along with it, then here would be better. But it had nothing to do with the morals of abortion, it was simply 'if youre interested in abortion information click here' which is something anyone could put into a search engine and find on their own if they were so inclined. How often is it that an interferencer personally needs an abortion or requires information about it? By my reckoning, not very. Thus it doesnt deserve its own thread soley for linking perposes, not in free your mind at any rate.

</bigass bitching AND constructive criticism because this is about conversation and NOT about whining>

edit: the content of my end tags </ >

Last edited:
Good fucking point.

It seems to be her 'style' of posting. Maybe she will learn a lesson from this and not just post links, but again there are a ton of "link" threads here that can be used as precedents so I think we really should wait for a response by the moderators to see exactly why THAT thread was closed.

I smell hypocracy in the air.

joyfulgirl said:
In fact, Sparkygrrl's abortion thread was NO DIFFERENT than her threads on Fair Trade and Factory Farms. Why weren't those closed and her hands slapped?

i have to disagree with this. anyone and everyone knows that discussing something like abortion, which is such an emotional issue to begin with, is very different than attempting to discuss farming or trade. providing a link to abortion providers is simply not the same thing as providing a link to information on free trade. i find it very difficult to believe that she would be surprised at the emotional response she got. and i also find it strange that she would bring the topic up and then state that she didn't want to discuss it. it's an issue with too many emotional ties. i, for one, cannot just read something like her post and sit idley by. it's impossible for me, and for many other people i would guess.

Ok, then say 'this thread is closed because of its emotionally-charged content' and not because it only provided a link without inviting discussion. She also started threads with just links to the coverage of anti-war protests and "Find out what goes on with the companies you buy from". People (some moderators) happily responded to those threads with things like, 'interesting link, thanks!'

Last edited:
i see what you're saying, but i still think that posting a link with news is different than posting a link to abortion providers. i don't think a mod needs to come out and directly state that when most people already saw the difference.

joyfulgirl said:
Ok, then say 'this thread is closed because of its emotionally-charged content' and not because it only provided a link
ok, maybe it could have been dealt with a bit better in the communication department, but I think Screaming Flower pointed out the difference very well between this thread and other threads mentioned here

so, now that we've worked that one out
we can all get back to business

ouizy said:

I smell hypocracy in the air.

that's funny i smell something else. the original thread was deleted. the "where's my thread" thread was posted. i had not seen the original thread, and since i wasn't TOLD it was deleted, i assumed it combusted, which although rare, does happen in the new. when i replied "i don't know what happened" i was being honest. i do not lie. i urged her to re-post the link. i never said "re-post, i guarantee nothing will happen."

so when i looked and saw what the thread was i was shocked, but was ready to let it stay until i saw the "no discussion" contingency. and that, frankly, is the exact opposite of what the forum is about. i don't care if we talk about abortion in here. one of my first posts was about abortion, and it stayed with something like 41 replies. it was not a link saying where someone can get an abortion, it was an OPEN DISCUSSION (funny how "discussion" is in that description), so it stayed.

the reason for the closing of the second thread was that it did not fit the criteria of fym, nor any other sub-forum of interference. propagandizing abortion clinics is not welcome on this board. if you have an issue with that, then i will reiterate that this forum is a privelage and you don't need to be here if you hate it so much. and sparkysgrrls tone was argumentative, which since she has been lurking so long, she should know not to take with a mod.

i don't understand how you can argue that a thread throwing a link out about where to get an abortion and a thread throwing a link out about corporate farming are no different. one is information, one is propagandizing. the effort to make a discussion was too little too late, so the second thread was closed.

that is, was, and will always be the decision. i hope you can see the process that lead to the closing of the thread.

lilly.

I think the reason Sparkysgrrrl wanted no discussion was because everytime on this board when we try to "discuss" things where people can have really emotional views allways turn to a shit-filled personal attack contest. Sometimes it's nice to be able to give information without being flamed for having a different view on something. And so what if you didnt like the way she phrased something? If youy understand her why care how she said it. If you thought she could have got her point across clearly then tell her that you knew what she meant but that she could have said something differently. Not all of us have had the same life experience or education as others have and we shouldn't be critisised because we arent english professers. I'm not sure any of us know what age she is cos age can be a big factor. A teenager usually hasnt had the education to be able to say things the way other expect them too.

I also think PART of the reason it was deleted WAS because some of the mods might feel that abortion is wrong or immoral. I'm not saying thats all of the reason, just part. If someone doesnt agree with you they can be more likely to feel the topic is innapropriate especially if it is a topic on one side of an issue. Like a link to a service that gives info on abortions. The reason Sparkysgrrrl probably didnt want discussion is because she just wanted people to have the information. Not argue about whether or not it's the right thing to do.

just to beat a dead horse:

but was ready to let it stay until i saw the "no discussion" contingency. and that, frankly, is the exact opposite of what the forum is about

finally some reasonable explanation

propagandizing abortion clinics is not welcome on this board. if you have an issue with that, then i will reiterate that this forum is a privelage and you don't need to be here if you hate it so much.

what about propagandizing free trade, farm factories, Barbara Strisand, beer.... - the point is - it was not propaganda, it was a link, and the thread was closed before a discussion could even form about that link. I truly was about to reply until I got to the bottom of the page, and saw the "Closed" sign on the thread. As far as the "hate it so much comment" that is just silly. If anyone here hated it, they would not be here. I think it is the passion for the site that allows for discussions like these, and I think that everyone here understands it is their privilege to even be here.

i hope you can see the process that lead to the closing of the thread.

Now we can, although it may have seemed a bit hasty and due to the subject matter very subjective, that's all.

I just want to end with this, I love Raven Star's posts as they are usually anti-everything and open-minded, but this absolutely takes the cake:

we arent english professers

:laugh:

RavenStar said:
I think the reason Sparkysgrrrl wanted no discussion was because everytime on this board when we try to "discuss" things where people can have really emotional views allways turn to a shit-filled personal attack contest. Sometimes it's nice to be able to give information without being flamed for having a different view on something.

first off....if you are going to start a thread with just a link...it's kinda unspoken that it is the jumping off point for a discussion. It really doesn't make sense, to me anyway, to post a link and say, don't discuss this, just look at it. If you post a site for pro-choice, the people that are pro-life are going to get upset. If she had posted a pro life site, people that are pro choice would be equally as upset.

I think the reason why these threads "turn into a shit filled personal attack" is due to the interent nature of the issues. If that thread was continued on the path it was on it would have been gotten a lot uglier. It's one of those things where there is often times no compromise reached, just sore feelings. When people get their feeling hurt they retailate.....it escalates.

Let me just say that I know Lilly well enough to say she is not going to close a thread just because she disagrees with the topic. Take a look at the thread and where it was going..it was upseting people and making them angry..had it not be closed for format reasons it would have turned into an out and out brawl, and been closed anyway.

Had the thread been started in a different manner.....wherein for example an article about abortion covering both sides of the issue were presented. Or if two sites with opposing viewpoints were linked, it might have been a somewhat civil discussion. However, that was not the case.

And so what if you didnt like the way she phrased something? If youy understand her why care how she said it.

How you say things are just as important as what you say. I can say "Lilly you are a wise cracking smart ass ;) :p " and she knows that I am just kidding with her.....however to have someone who you really don't know say "you're wise ass remarks are annoying" (I'm sorry I'm paraphrasing what she said), it's completely different. While she may have meant "Gee why was my thread closed" she came across as "Assholes closed my thread for no good reason"...the more she posted, the more hostile her words came across. And yes, Lilly's initial "What thread" comment did come across as the classic sarcastic Lilly we know and love, however she clarified her sincerity and her actual meaning.....

there I think I babbled enough

RavenStar said:
A teenager usually hasnt had the education to be able to say things the way other expect them too.

I also think PART of the reason it was deleted WAS because some of the mods might feel that abortion is wrong or immoral. I'm not saying thats all of the reason, just part. If someone doesnt agree with you they can be more likely to feel the topic is innapropriate especially if it is a topic on one side of an issue. Like a link to a service that gives info on abortions. The reason Sparkysgrrrl probably didnt want discussion is because she just wanted people to have the information. Not argue about whether or not it's the right thing to do.

well ravenstar, i am 18 years old and certainly not an english professor, but somehow i put coherent sentences together that make sense within a larger context.

you may think that we were offended by it, but that is not the case, as has been previously stated at least 3 times.

THE POINT OF THIS BOARD IS TO DISCUSS NOT TO POINT OUT AND LEAVE ISSUES. .

it did not fit the criteria, it offended people, and it was brought up in poor context. it was closed and that is final.

lilly.

so now threads are being closed because they offend a few people? Was anyone actually offended of the link that she posted? Should that really matter? We shouldnt have to tiptoe around here making sure we dont hurt anyones feelings. While we're at it, why dont we just close this whole forum, sonce people might get offended by open discussions.

So if I'm offended by those stupid links-only posts that scream and freeze my computer, those will be closed now, too?

Good.

excatly what I'm thinking.

RavenStar said:
so now threads are being closed because they offend a few people? Was anyone actually offended of the link that she posted? Should that really matter? We shouldnt have to tiptoe around here making sure we dont hurt anyones feelings. While we're at it, why dont we just close this whole forum, sonce people might get offended by open discussions.

i wrote that reason secondly because it was a secondary concern. please review my post about the many reasons why the thread was closed and rethink your response.

thank you.

lilly.

Yay! more people who miss the point!

You know, nothing obligates you to click a link, nor to respond to a thread, nor to take offense to anything. If you choose to make a bigger deal out of something then it has to be, and you piss off a mod, then you get what you get.

Misuse of forums = closed thread. Thats that.

Random links in lemonade stand is ok, thats what LS is for.

Random links with no subject matter in fym is not ok, thats what LS is for. This is a place for discussion, not personal amusement. So get off your high horses thinking that something tragically wrong has occured. Its already been explained why it was closed. If you want to make a mochary of it, then this onell be closed to. I bet youll be proud of that.

<-- surrounded by idiots.

RavenStar said:
so now threads are being closed because they offend a few people?

Only if it going to lead to nothing but trouble. I think you are missing the point....had the issue been presented in a clearer, more structured manner, it could have become a discussion. Instead it was taken as an insult, it was not presented in a manner that would warrent any type of thought provoking debate.

We shouldnt have to tiptoe around here making sure we dont hurt anyones feelings.

I don't see it as tip toeing...I see it more as respecting the different opinions and diversity of the board. If I wanted to start a discussion on the Al Queda network and Bin Laden, I'm not going to start it by saying "All middle easterners are terrorists!!!!!!" For one, I would get my ass chewed out....and secondly that is not the way to start a conversation that is going to "free anyone's mind" it's only going to cause problems.

you may think that we were offended by it, but that is not the case, as has been previously stated at least 3 times.
it did not fit the criteria, it offended people, and it was brought up in poor context. it was closed and that is final.
make up your mind.

we = the mods. we, the mods, were not offended.

some people = members. some people were offended.

clearly i'm no english professor.

Ravenstar:

Let me dumb this down a shade for you. The thread was NOT closed because mods were offended, it was closed because others were or potentially would be since it is very personal subject matter that many posters here are too immature to handle in an adult manner. I could name a few names on that one. :rolleyes:

Ok, evidently lilly beat me to the punch... too bad... Im feeling malicious today...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom