When you die....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mullen4Prez

Banned
What would like on your tombstone? I know it may be along way away but for fun what would you like on your tombstone? One more question What song would you like played at your funeral?

Hmmmm, this seems like more of a Free Your Mind topic. You'll probably get more serious responses there, Darren, so I'm moving this.

For my tombstone:

"If He Was Still Here He'd Have Wrote Something More Eloquent"
"Yes Will, We Know We've Used Alliteration Too Liberally"

Songs for my funeral, definitely Jeff Buckleys Halleujah and One of course

"Hallelujah" would really be a great choice. Or Mindy Smith's "Come to Jesus," or Ben Harper's "In the Lord's Arms" or "There Will Be a Light."

I'm really fond of Robert Louis Stevenson's epitaph:

Under the wide and starry sky
Dig the grave and let me lie:
Glad did I live and gladly die,
And I laid me down with a will.

This be the verse you grave for me:
Here he lies where he long'd to be;
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,
And the hunter home from the hill.

MaxFisher said:
"Hell of a damn grave. Wish it were mine."

-Royal Tenenbaum

DIED TRAGICALLY WHILE RESCUING HIS FAMILY FROM A DESTROYED SINKING BATTLESHIP.

Maybe the best epitaph ever.

And a great movie, too. :up:

pax said:

I'm really fond of Robert Louis Stevenson's epitaph:

Under the wide and starry sky
Dig the grave and let me lie:
Glad did I live and gladly die,
And I laid me down with a will.

This be the verse you grave for me:
Here he lies where he long'd to be;
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,
And the hunter home from the hill.

Amazing........................I guess I'll write my own memory upon the stone before anyone decides to do anything I won't be agreeable with dead or not:wink:

I'd like a tombstone in the shape of a tree. It sort of symbolizes achievements and longevity. Perhaps this would be an inspiring message to carve in stone:

"Death is no more than passing from one room into another. But there's a difference for me, you know. Because in that other room I shall be able to see."
- Helen Keller

That quote has a personal meaning to me, it hits home.

Last edited:
No tombstone, no funeral, no memorial service, no obituary in the paper. Just cremate my body and have a party. And please don't save the ashes.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord: plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
--Jeremiah 29:11

Maybe...

"Love is big, bigger than us"

and/or

"Who's to say where the wind will take you, who's to say what it is will break you, I don't know which way the wind will blow, who's to know when the time has come around, I don't want to see you cry, I know that this is not goodbye"

or, to stray from U2 lyrics to one of my favorite quotes of all time...

"The fastest way to succeed is to look as if you're playing by someone else's rules, while quietly playing by your own"

- Michael Korda(no idea who that is)

Hey pax, what do those numbers mean in your sig...the ones about landing at the JFK, invading forigen soil, and the great beyond?

joyfulgirl said:
No tombstone, no funeral, no memorial service, no obituary in the paper. Just cremate my body and have a party. And please don't save the ashes.

That's exactly what I want.

I don't want my life to be reduced down to a marker and I'll have no need for my body. I just want people to celebrate the life I lived...so drink up.

Jeff Buckleys Halleujah is a great choice and I was thinking today how I'd also like Streets.
The inscription would be in tiny writing and read:
'Would You Kindly Step Off My Face'.
It's sad what amusses some people.

namkcuR said:

Hey pax, what do those numbers mean in your sig...the ones about landing at the JFK, invading forigen soil, and the great beyond?

Landing at JFK: Ewen comes to the States for 3 weeks!
Invading foreign soil: I visit Scotland for 10 days (10/28/05--11/7/05)
The great beyond: 8/31/06 is sort of my deadline for making some decisions about my life; namely, what I want to do in terms of school, career, etc., at least for the next few years.

2 Cor. 5:17

"If any man be in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has passed away and all things are made new"

I like the late British/Irish comedian Spike Milligan's tombstone enscription - "I told you I was ill!"

:wink:

hmm not sure about the tombstone....

but for my funeral music, any of the following

arcade fire's "funeral" album in its entirety
joy division's "atmosphere"
pj harvey's version "is that all there is?"
nick cave & friends "death is not the end" (depressingly fun)
radiohead "how to disappear completely" ( would play as either the casket is being lowered to the ground, or as the ashes are being spread...either way)
elliott smith "pitseleh" .. um probably almost anything by him

not sure if id want my funeral to be a sobfest or celebratory event but if it was the latter definitely the flaming lips "do you realize"

I've already told my parents that i want "40" played at my funeral.

I'd also like to be cremated...but if i were to have a tombstone..........:hmm:

"She dedicated her life to public service to make the lives of others better as well as her own."

Something along those lines....I'm not good at getting sentimental :shrug:

Can't think of what I'd want on my tombstone, and I do want to be buried.

I kind of like those Gregorian chants that old Catholicism does. That would probably be very pretentious, though...lol.

Melon

I don't want to buried because I want my husband to move on with his life if something was to happen to me. I'm honestly afraid he would sit at my grave site day after day and never move on. I want to be cremated and have a memorial party...no sadness, just the people I love sharing stories and hopefully remembering me fondly.

I want Walk On, Kite and Beautiful Day to be played and I want everyone to leave with a smile. I would also like the following lyric printed on a memorial card and given out to everyone who attends:

Did I Waste It?
Not So Much I Couldn't Taste It
Life Should be Fragrent
Rooftop to the Basement

If Rick wants to keep my ashes so I'm near him, that's fine but I would also like some spread out over the two lakes where my father and grandfather's ashes were spread.

I actually really want a gravestone when I'm gone. When my Dad's mother died, no one in the family could afford one for her, and she was buried in the same New England town as tons of her ancestors and they all had stones and she had this horrible green plastic marker, like something from a garden. It was awful. I'm sort of terrified of not being remembered at all...I actually really love old cemeteries, growing up in New England was great for that because you see all these old crumbling stones everywhere in little historic cemeteries fenced off from like, normal housing developments. You see the dates and the age of the person who died and just wonder, what was this place like then? What did this person do everyday? I guess I'm a big nerdy history major is all.

No idea what I want for an epitaph, though.

Golightly Grrl said:

that is the name of my church :)

i don't know that i want a tombstone. i think i might like to be cremated also.

but i do want a kickass memorial service and i want it to be a luau because i love hawaiian shirts and i want everyone to be festive.

haven't thought about the music yet...:hmm:

Back
Top Bottom