When Should They Step Down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
When should an elected official step down from their position? When questions are raised? When charges are filed? When evidence is presented? When a conviction is delivered?

And should race have anything to do with that decision?

Call for lawmaker to step down irks black caucus

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A drive by the Democratic leadership to strip embattled Rep. William Jefferson of his committee post triggered a backlash Thursday as the Congressional Black Caucus opposed the move and said the Louisiana lawmaker deserves a "presumption of innocence."

The caucus chairman, Rep. Melvin Watt of North Carolina, told reporters that some black voters might ask why action was sought against "a black member of Congress" when there was neither precedent nor rule for it.

Jefferson has not been indicted and has denied all wrongdoing in connection with a federal bribery investigation that has netted two convictions. He has rebuffed repeated calls from Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi and others to step aside until any involvement is clarified.

the quick and simple political answer is that someone should step down when they become a liability for the party as a whole, i.e., Tom DeLay.

Irvine511 said:
the quick and simple political answer is that someone should step down when they become a liability for the party as a whole, i.e., Tom DeLay.

Pelosi has asked Jefferson to step down - is he not a liability to the party as well?

nbcrusader said:
Is harm to the party the best measure? Or is it harm to the public?

if you're a politican, you're concerned with the party.

for when the party wins, the public benefits.

Irvine511 said:
if you're a politican, you're concerned with the party.

for when the party wins, the public benefits.

Perhaps you get a different view living in the capital.

Or perhaps I've gotten cynical about party wins = public benefit.

nbcrusader said:

Perhaps you get a different view living in the capital.

Or perhaps I've gotten cynical about party wins = public benefit.

i'm not giving my opinion, i'm just explaining the political mentalilty -- that there have to be some casualties, sometimes, and the health of the party is what matters because when the party wins then they get to set the agenda and the agenda is better than the opposition's agenda and more lives will be more positively impacted.

there's actually a degree of nobility in there. ultimately, i do think *most* politicians sincerely believe that their "way" is better for the country. and they fight for it.

think of it this way -- replace "party" with "company."

nbcrusader said:
When should an elected official step down from their position?

When they find $90K in your freezer next to the Pizza Pockets might be a good place to start...

Back
Top Bottom