When Is Military Service An Issue? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2004, 10:00 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Yeah, they never brought it up when draft dodger Clinton ran against war hero George Bush Sr. Bringing up an issue only when it suits you at the time is so political it sucks
This is one of the best statements of the thread!

I have one problem with this whole thing......

When are the politicians going to learn, that the definition of "is" is a no win situation.

GW is basically doing the same thing his predicessor did on this level. If he had just come out and said.....I was absent from drills with permission, but made up the time to fulfill my service obligation, there would be NO issue. His handling of the situation has helped to make it an issue. Just saying I fulfilled my obligation=dodging the question by not being completely forthcoming.

Old 02-12-2004, 10:27 PM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

All I have to say is that there were a lot of draft dodgers in the Vietnam War, and the fact that Dubya didn't want to end up in a body bag is certainly why he was in the National Guard. Let's get real: the National Guard, during that war, was a way for the children of the elite to escape death.

With that, military service shouldn't even be an issue. I certainly don't vote for a president on the basis of his "military experience," solely because the military isn't a one-man operation. The President, rightfully so, will ideally surround himself with capable military advisors. The only advantage of giving the President the title of "Commander-in-Chief" is to merge the leadership of the country and the leadership of the military into one post, hence being a good deterrent to military coups that plague many nations that separate the posts.

Basically, I won't vote for Bush, because I think that, not only have his decisions been poor, but that he surrounds himself with extremists, who aren't interested in the facts, but are only interested in advancing their predetermined agenda for the nation. "Facts" are assembled merely to try and bring credence to their predetermined solutions.

THAT is why I hope that Bush is kicked to the curb in this next election, not whether or not he was a war hero, which, clearly, he was not. This is just politics-as-usual, of which both political parties are equally guilty, and is probably vengeance for the vitriolic hatred that the GOP spewed at Clinton for downright petty and irrelevant actions.

Melon

Old 02-13-2004, 12:08 AM   #48
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:46 PM
While I agree with Melon it shouldn't matter, I do think a straight answer would have eliminated this whole issue and that's what bothers me.

This man has gotten away with a lot of dodged questions.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:29 AM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Basically, I won't vote for Bush, because I think that, not only have his decisions been poor, but that he surrounds himself with extremists, who aren't interested in the facts, but are only interested in advancing their predetermined agenda for the nation. "Facts" are assembled merely to try and bring credence to their predetermined solutions.
Eliminate the word extremist.....and I would agree with you. It pretty much sums up my feelings.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:54 AM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:46 PM
I liked some of Clinton's policies but not his character. That was always questionable. I agree with the people who are saying this wouldn't be an issue about Bush if he'd done a better job of answering questions. I don't give a damn that he was in the Guard or whatever, and I don't think most people do either. It's not determining my vote in any way.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:06 PM   #51
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 10:46 PM
It would be great if military service would be no issue and the iq of a future president would be more of an issue
Old 02-13-2004, 12:57 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
It would be great if military service would be no issue and the iq of a future president would be more of an issue
I agree. The intelligence of a candidate is much more important than his miltary service or lack thereof. Like I said I am not basing my vote on this.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:20 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:46 PM
But it is all part of character.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:55 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
But it is all part of character.
True. We don't exactly want a sleazeball in the White House. By the same token we are voting for a President not the pope or a candidate for canonization or whatever.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:50 PM   #55
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 10:46 PM
nbcrusader: Just because you know that he went to Military Service dosnt tell you why he did this.
And of course its more honorable to save someone others life while doing military service than having an easy life at home.
But.. i think its also part of a good character to fight only for the wars you believe in and fight against the other wars, so doing no military service because there you cant decide which wars you fight isnt automatically a bad character.

I think its less important what you do, but how and why you do it
Klaus
Old 02-16-2004, 07:59 AM   #56
War Child

Location: with 2 kids in high school they tell her that she's uncool, but she's still preoccupied with 1985
I don't think it's bad character. Not everyone is cut out to be a soldier, and sending them to war is like killing them. My own brother dodged the draft, and my father was career army and he supported his desicion! I hold nothing against Clinton or Bush for trying to avoid going to war. But it is funny it's being made an issue by the democrats now, when they didn't care about it when Clinton ran against old man Bush. I can't believe people's memories are so short they can't see that and laugh at the double standard.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:28 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Seabird
I can't believe people's memories are so short they can't see that and laugh at the double standard.
Thank you for your post...it sums it up.!
Old 02-16-2004, 04:41 PM   #58
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:46 PM
Quote:
I hold nothing against Clinton or Bush for trying to avoid going to war.
I think there is a slight difference though. Clinton may have dodged the draft, many did and it was considered a political move or a matter of principal.

But in Bush's case there wasn't complete honestly about where he was and when, yet he still wanted to paint himself as a man who served for his country.

Not that I'm saying what either of them did was right or wrong, but Bush tried to have it both ways and I think that's why it's become an issue.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:25 PM   #59
The Fly

Local Time: 12:46 AM
No, it's become an issue because his enemies have chosen to make it one. If he's as bad as everyone says he is, why did they even need to bring up something from30 years ago?
Old 02-16-2004, 05:36 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilac
No, it's become an issue because his enemies have chosen to make it one. If he's as bad as everyone says he is, why did they even need to bring up something from30 years ago?
You mean like those pictures of Kerry and Jane Fonda?

Both sides here drip with hypocrisy.