When Is Military Service An Issue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

But in Bush's case there wasn't complete honestly about where he was and when, yet he still wanted to paint himself as a man who served for his country.

Wait a minute! He served the country. What do you mean wanted to paint himself? He did!

Dreadsox said:

Wait a minute! He served the country. What do you mean wanted to paint himself? He did!

I meant that he tried to paint himself as a good soldier who did his duty, and that has not been without question.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I meant that he tried to paint himself as a good soldier who did his duty, and that has not been without question.

you are right.

In his autobiography, "A Charge to Keep," Mr. Bush wrote about the dilemma he and fellow classmates at Yale faced as they approached graduation in the spring of 1968.

"We discussed Vietnam, but we were more concerned with the decision each of us had to make: military service or not. I knew I would serve. Leaving the country to avoid the draft was not an option for me; I was too conservative and too traditional. My inclination was to support the government and the war until proven wrong, and that only came later, as I realized we could not explain the mission, had no exit strategy, and did not seem to be fighting to win."

W does not now,

and it appears he never had a backbone.

Back
Top Bottom