When Being A Good Person Costs You Your Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks fizzing, I'd like it to stay open as long as it can stay on topic and w/ out bickering between people

I agree yolland, it is "in spite of" but honestly so many times it can seem like "because" Thank you for your comments, much appreciated :) Maybe that lady was just too trusting of others, being too trusting can cost you so much. I think people that age often still live w/ the mentality they had years ago, when you could actually be less cynical about people.

A good question may be: why do we have a greater fear of our neighbor in this country, when other cultures would not only open their homes, but it would be expected that homes be opened to travelers?

Have we subrogated cultural expectations to individual desires?

Is cynicism always safer than open trust?

Has our focus changed from group survival to individual maintenance of a standard of living?

Some good questions there, nbcrusader. Will be interested to hear others' thoughts on them, especially the first question.

In regards to the safety question...I personally do think there's nothing wrong with having a bit of a guard up, but at the same time, to just completely live in fear that every single person you encounter could hurt you or something like that isn't exactly healthy, either. Especially since, from what I understand, you are more likely to be hurt/killed by people you actually know than some complete stranger.

Also, I agree with yolland's post :up:.

Angela

I prefer to look at those who choose bad. People who are willing or prone or whatever, to cause harm and use opportunity to advance whatever will take any chance they can. The reflection is on them, in my view. re: nbc's comments on opening doors and your cultural place, is the MO different for those who commit these hearltess acts, or for those who take the risk in exposing themselves out of kindness? I prefer, perhaps naively, to view it as another fault on those who commit such cruel acts towards others. I dont think I'm making sense.

Back
Top Bottom