When African/Jamacian Americans use the word "Nigger" - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2003, 05:22 PM   #1
New Yorker

Location: mainly in my fantasy land.....ooooo how I wish it were reality
Local Time: 07:52 AM
When African/Jamacian Americans use the word "Nigger"

Ok not only African and Jamacian Americans, but people who are......um......negros(I'm trying to find a way to say this and not offend anyone), how do you feel though when they use the word "Nigger"?

back in May I was visiting my boyfriend in Texas and his 13 year old brother was telling us that some kids from school were calling him "Nigger", yet he's Mexican American and the four other guys he hangs out with at school are caucasion. He said that this group of African American boys were calling them by that name and saying they were racist because they didnt have "any blacks in your group". I asked my bf's brother if he asked the guys to hang out with them and he said yah, but the guys laughed at them and kept on calling them that. He said when he tried to say, "Come on, dont call me Nigger...I dont like that", they jumped all over him for using the word.

So he faced us with the question of why is it acceptable for Negros to use the word to each other and not think of it as bad? If you're going to say its offensive, which I agree the word is horrible and should not be used, then dont go around calling each other that and letting younger kids learn that too.

Old 06-23-2003, 05:30 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:52 PM
I think regardless of people's opinion on the word 'nigger' most people think that 'negro' is an offensive word. Perhaps it's better to talk about Black people rather than 'negros'.

Old 06-23-2003, 05:32 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 08:52 AM
this is just a sign of pure ignorance and lack of respect for african americans. it is also a sign of immaturity.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:38 PM   #4
New Yorker

Location: mainly in my fantasy land.....ooooo how I wish it were reality
ok I apologize, I didnt realize that the word "Negro" was offensive to. I'm caucasion and yet people call me white all the time...ok no big deal, but I've heard people get offensive when someone calls them black too....so what is the politically correct term? Because not everyone is African America or Jamacian...but you're right, its a sign of ignorance.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:39 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:52 AM
Re: When African/Jamacian Americans use the word "Nigger"

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiki
So he faced us with the question of why is it acceptable for Negros to use the word to each other and not think of it as bad? If you're going to say its offensive, which I agree the word is horrible and should not be used, then dont go around calling each other that and letting younger kids learn that too.
Why? Racial politics. Presumed intent.

Given the general response to "the word", it is better left out of the vocabulary.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:32 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

"People call me white all the time."

Then refer to Black people as Black, don't use offensive language like the words you used in your first post.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:48 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Why? Racial politics. Presumed intent.

Given the general response to "the word", it is better left out of the vocabulary.
I agree.

Quote:
most people think that 'negro' is an offensive word.
Is this true? I don't use the word because it sounds dated, but why then do we still have 'The United Negro College Fund'?

The lines of political correctness are wearing thin these days...

Quote:
People call me white all the time.
They just call me pale.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:35 PM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 06:52 AM
'Negro' is not an offensive word!

I have heard so many people use that word. Especailly on Tv, where they MAKE sure they are being politically correct.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:37 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

A little history is in order here. Here in Birmingham, which was a real battleground in the civil rights moverment in the '60's it was perfectly acceptable and respectful to call African-Americans "Negroes". When we had our demonstrations and Ku Klux Klan atrocities and such "nigger" was a bad word; "negro" was not. It was only later that this word fell into (relative) disrepute and the word "black" was preferable. So that's why some older civil rights groups actually have the word "negro" in their names and such. I think because of the similarity in sound of "nigger" and "negro" the word "negro" is a bit emotional. Diane McWhorter, in her book about the civil rights movement in Birmingham "Carry Me Home" (read it, it's great) uses the word "Negro" but feels obligated to explain that it was perfectly respectful and proper in the '60's here. I agree with nbcrusader about the word "nigger". It's never acceptable.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:57 PM   #10
BAW
The Flower

To me, negro is a dated, old fashioned word along the same lines as "colored." Its something my grandparents still use but a word I personally don't like. I understand that its still used among older generations but I don't care to use it. It brings to mind ugly images.

The N word is offensive and I can't think of any situation where it would be acceptable.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:12 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh God...are we still in the 1920s?

"Negro" is very much an offensive word; call any black person that word and you will get your ass kicked. The "United Negro College Fund" is just as much a traditional anachronism as the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People). These words were marginally acceptable when these groups were founded (UNCF: 1943; NAACP: 1909). Out of tradition, I'm sure, they haven't changed their names.

Unless you really want to sound like a bigot (and this doesn't mean you are), refer to them as blacks or "African-Americans," although, lately, "black" has become more fashionable to refer to non-African black people.

It may not be rational, but, guess what? Life was never rational to begin with.

Melon
Old 06-23-2003, 09:40 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: When African/Jamacian Americans use the word "Nigger"

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Presumed intent.

This is correct..

Chris Rock can use the n-word because his presumed intent is humor not racism.

So many questions in here deal empathy or respecting boundaries. I can not understand why any white person would want to use a word that might offend someone.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:42 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Re: When African/Jamacian Americans use the word "Nigger"

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
I can not understand why any white person would want to use a word that might offend someone.
Because that would require T-H-I-N-K-I-N-G.

Argh...

Melon
Old 06-23-2003, 09:58 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

But what about the issue of Kiki's boyfriend's younger brother, who happens to be Mexican-American, and his friends, who happen to be caucasion, being called (n-word) by a group of African-Americans? Is THAT acceptable? Is it acceptable for African-American school kids to call non-African-American school kids (n-words), outside of a Chris Rock routine, which this obviously wasn't?

~U2Alabama
Old 06-23-2003, 10:12 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

This made me think of my youth listening to Eddie Murphy. He dropped the "n" word quite often.

It is a difficult topic. As a teacher, it can be a touchy topic, especially when reading books about Harriet Tubman, Malcom X, or even fictionalized books about the South like Mississippi Bridge or Sounder. WE also address the word Negro as well and the fact that it is not appropriate in todays age, nor is colored. Very dated, and as someone here mentioned

I try and teach the history behind the word. We spend a lot of time discussing the fact that it is inapropriate to use.

I am not sure about the cultural things going on with what was described above.