What's Your New Year Day Meal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't associate any food with New Year's Day. It's just an ordinary day that's quite conveniently a public holiday (must admit I miss living in NZ where the Day After New Year's Day is also an official public holiday).

the iron horse said:
Here in the U.S South:

-collard greens

-blackeyed peas

-sweet potatoes

-cornbread

-sweet tea or buttermilk

Also: country ham, chitt-lins, hoppin' john

Our mother was from Virginia, so she brought her southern traditions with us when we all moved to Indiana. (Even though we lost Mom in 2001, we still have ham biscuits and oyster stew for breakfast on Christmas Day.) On New Year's Day, we still have the country ham and black-eyed peas (sometimes hoppin John), but we also add in the sausage and sauerkraut from Dad's side of the family. As one of my uncles once said at a family reunion in Virginia, "If Andersons aren't eating, they are thinking about it or talking about it!"

Yeah, I still make the blackeyed peas, cornbread and collard greens too, only with smoked turkey replacing the nonkosher ham.

I'm not sure if many non-Southerners really have any particular 'local traditions' for New Year's meals, though? Ethnic-linked traditions maybe, but at least in the US, I'm not aware of any other regional ones. I know a lot of Greek-Orthodox Americans make Vasilopita, which is a really wonderful cake flavored with mastic and mahlepi. There are probably several other customs like that, but I don't personally know of any.

Happy New Year, everyone! And Happy Birthday, iron horse.

fondue

with beef, pork, chicken, turkey

a big pot with hot cheese, enough bread for everyone

fresh aspargus with sauce hollandaise
and potatoes

after the meal chillout with shisha and music by khaled

Happy New Year to all :)

I've never heard of any traditional New Year's food in Germany, but would say that for most it probably isn't that much of a real meal. Just something where you hope the stomach won't send it right back.
For me it's the rest of the pasta with tomato sauce (not ketchup, but real sauce :)) from yesterday.

Didn't know anyone HAD New Year's Day meal traditions. We (as in, my family and friends) don't really treat it like a special holiday. We just sleep in, clean up, and eat whatever is in the house. I don't get together with my family for a meal or anything like that. After Christmas we are all sick of each other!

Liesje said:
Didn't know anyone HAD New Year's Day meal traditions. We (as in, my family and friends) don't really treat it like a special holiday. We just sleep in, clean up, and eat whatever is in the house. I don't get together with my family for a meal or anything like that. After Christmas we are all sick of each other!

:up: Same.

Frankly I'm totally sick of eating.

I've heard of the black eyed peas too, but for some reason that is one southern tradition that never carried over to my family. i think i might be the only person of us who actually likes them, so that could be why.

last 2 years it has been an indian buffet. today we had a lovely meal at ihop. lovely as in company, not as in food :wink:

Last edited:
Seeing as I was at work (which happens to be Target), two hot-dogs and a blueberry muffin. And mountain dew. So unhealthy!

the iron horse said:
Here in the U.S South:

-collard greens

-blackeyed peas

-sweet potatoes

-cornbread

-sweet tea or buttermilk

Also: country ham, chitt-lins, hoppin' john
Hell, you're making me remember my trips to TN to visit relatives there when I was younger.... okra and cream corn :drool:

Traditional new years day food here is pork, because the pig is a symbol of luck. It's always been that way in my family. However, I don't eat it because I'm a vegetarian. I always go with salad and vegetables instead. This year I had some rice with vegetables.

I had prime rib & butter beans with a green salad (my uncle's choice - his house, his menu). Mr. Blu had corned beef & black-eyed peas w/the neighbors... yummy. :up:

(We were apart due a death - me on the West Coast w/my uncle & Kelly at home on the East Coast. I think it's the first New Year's Day in 15 years that we've been apart. :ohmy: )

Back
Top Bottom