What's your God like? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2004, 03:07 PM   #1
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:17 PM
What's your God like?

I've been thinking about this for awhile and wasn't sure if I wanted to post it, but I think it could be an interesting thread.

I was inspired by all the talk about the "Passion" and thinking about the huge differences in the portrayals of Christ throughout the years on film.

Tell me what your God is like? Does your religion have one central being which it's based on? Whoever or whatever this being is you worship explain what you think they would be like if they were to take human form today. Describe their personality if you met them in person. A powerful politician or an artist? Bold or passive? Are they funny? What are your thoughts.

This isn't a thread to debate religion, but one of finding out how everyone percieves the one they worship or pray to.

Old 02-26-2004, 03:27 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:17 PM
Compassionate

Tolerant

Loving

Charitable

One who does not care what someone claims
but cares more about how we treat others

The only side he is on

Is the side of Love

Old 02-26-2004, 03:37 PM   #3
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:17 AM
Just a word of caution BonoVoxSuperstar. I know its just a typo but I know some Muslims might be offended by something saying that they worship Muhammed. Like I said I'm sure you didn't mena to offend, but you probably should correct that.

Give me a bit to think about what words to use to describe my view of God.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:27 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 10:17 PM
likes to be the producer of Jim Morrison

likes good wine and nice babes

likes to hang out
Old 02-26-2004, 05:20 PM   #5
War Child

Local Time: 02:17 AM
I can't imagine him/her/it in corporeal form.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:32 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:17 AM
I dont have a god but if I did he/she would be consistent - kind, caring, fair and equal and more interfering (sort out Palestine/Israel, N Ireland/Eire etc).
Old 02-26-2004, 05:34 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Good idea for a thread-I'm gonna like reading other people's descriptions.

Let's see here...

The God I believe in is loving, caring, and accepts people for who they are. The only people he ever has a problem with are those who hurt and kill their fellow man for no reason. When it comes to the serious issues of the world, he'd have a lot to say, I'm quite sure-he'd definitely be an activist, working to make this world a better place. But since he's not here in human form, he uses other ways to let people know how he feels. He lets everyone find their own way to him, too.

I do think he's got a fun side to him, too, though...kinda has that fun, kindly grandfather quality to him (for some reason, I've always pictured him as an elderly person), has a good sense of humor about certain things, would enjoy all the forms of entertainment that are out there. He'd be an interesting one to talk to, should he ever take human form.

Angela
Old 02-26-2004, 09:19 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:17 PM
From what I believe in the Bible:

God is slow to anger.
God is just and merciful and sovereign.
God exists outside of time and space, and yet is ubiquitous.
God is active and works here on earth.
God does speak to us who are willing to listen.
God relates to us (He's not some computer program or aloof supreme being).
God keeps his promises (though it doesn't necessarily turn out the way we'd like).
God never gives up on us.
God is the same, yesterday today and forever.

Now how I relate to God is a whole other issue... between me and Him
Old 02-26-2004, 09:20 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:17 PM
Sometimes I think that God is in fact the collective human consciousnesss, which might explain why he/she/it is capable of such great cruelty as well as love.

I don't mean that in a flippant way either, as I certainly do believe in the existence of some higher being... but at the same time I wonder if we are 'it'. They say if you're looking for Jesus you should find him (or shades of him) in the people around you. You certainly won't find him in the sky.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:25 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:17 PM
random fact: did you know that the fraction of the universe cosmologists have captured in picture, looks like a form of a human being?

(learned that at UCLA astronomy class in freshman year.)
Old 02-26-2004, 09:33 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:17 PM
I imagine a supreme intellectual, who created His universe on strict and unbending scientific laws. One who knew the beauty of free will, while understanding that freedom can bring either goodness or evil, and to predispose us to one or the other would defeat the purpose of free will. I imagine a God who has generally left us on our own, but communicates to us in His own, non-obvious manner. I also imagine that each of us has our own individual lesson to learn in life, and that it is up to us to discover what that lesson is. And in such non-obvious order, I see the beauty and complexity that is God, knowing that what we want is not necessarily for our own good.

Melon
Old 02-26-2004, 10:57 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville
Sometimes I think that God is in fact the collective human consciousnesss, which might explain why he/she/it is capable of such great cruelty as well as love.

I don't mean that in a flippant way either, as I certainly do believe in the existence of some higher being... but at the same time I wonder if we are 'it'. They say if you're looking for Jesus you should find him (or shades of him) in the people around you. You certainly won't find him in the sky.
I have never seen anyone else express what I have said before. I once wrote a poem about all of us being the body of Christ. And in a sense, if we are part of the body of Christ, then Christ is also in us.

Thanks for sharing your post.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:10 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Yesterday I celebrated my daughter's 6th birthday. I am amazed at her love of God. She is so into God and Jesus and the stories in the bible. To me it is absolutely incredible her desire and craving to be like Jesus. I am so proud to have been blessed by this childs presence in my life.

She is colorblind her best friends in school are African American and Hispanic. She does not care about wealth. She collected her toys that she no longer played with, without us asking and brought them to a toy drive at her school. We never pushed her to do so. She said that she felt badly for kids without presents. She is a friend to both boys and girls. She LOVES everyone and is always looking out for children who are left out or in need of a friend. Her teachers have nothing but praise for her.

We have read bible stories to her since she was born. We have taught her to pray. We have not attended church with her until recently, because of the scandal in the church I have not wanted to attend church. I also have been feeling guilty, because she is so religious.

She is my hope for the world. When I think of what God is like, I know when I see my daughter....I am seeing a reflection of what God intended for the world.

My son...hehe....reflects something all together different...
Old 02-26-2004, 11:13 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
theSoulfulMofo...really? That's neat. Kinda weird, but neat.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville

That makes perfect sense. . I also liked melon's answer.

And Dread...your daughter sounds like a sweetheart. .

Angela
Old 02-26-2004, 11:14 PM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Yesterday I celebrated my daughter's 6th birthday. I am amazed at her love of God. She is so into God and Jesus and the stories in the bible. To me it is absolutely incredible her desire and craving to be like Jesus. I am so proud to have been blessed by this childs presence in my life.

She is colorblind her best friends in school are African American and Hispanic. She does not care about wealth. She collected her toys that she no longer played with, without us asking and brought them to a toy drive at her school. We never pushed her to do so. She said that she felt badly for kids without presents. She is a friend to both boys and girls. She LOVES everyone and is always looking out for children who are left out or in need of a friend. Her teachers have nothing but praise for her.

We have read stories to her since she was born. We have taught her to pray. We have not attended church with her until recently, because of the scandal in the church I have not wanted to attend church. I also have been feeling guilty, because she is so religious.

She is my hope for the world. When I think of what God is like, I know when I see my daughter....I am seeing a reflection of what God intended for the world.

My son...hehe....reflects something all together different...
You are blessed. Sounds like you have a wonderful daughter. You must be a great parent.